Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Mountune Fiesta MRX Turbo

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
So newbie question. If you buy their BOV kit would you still need a symposer delete? It says the BOV kit installs in place of the existing sound symposer setup.
I think (looking at it) the BOV connects to the hose that the Symposer is installed on. Interesting Plug and Play if that is true.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
So newbie question. If you buy their BOV kit would you still need a symposer delete? It says the BOV kit installs in place of the existing sound symposer setup.
I think (looking at it) the BOV connects to the hose that the Symposer is installed on. Interesting Plug and Play if that is true.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Maybe I bought a cyborg a little too soon.

Is the dyno chart in whp? Doesn't actually say anywhere.

Comes with canned tune? Says custom tuning available

Also need to add a BOV to the price.
As well as a down pipe if you're still on the factory choker.

But still, NOT a bad price, especially considering it is coming from Mountune, a company NOT exactly known for their bargain basement prices. [wink]

OP
Brura22

Brura22

Thread Starter #24
Take a look at the DHM GTX360r kit. That's the kit to have.
This is a different customer base.
Yes we all know about DHM's big big power kits.
This Mountune kit is clearly aimed at the hybrid power level community.
This kit has zero aim at the 360/450 DHM kits. In my opinion atleast.

You should really only compare this to the x47/37 and C39/280

A7xogg

I like the powerband of this upgrade. And nothing against hybrid turbos but a Garret is just better. And it's built to mountune standards so not disappoint from me.

OP
Brura22

Brura22

Thread Starter #26
I like the powerband of this upgrade. And nothing against hybrid turbos but a Garret is just better. And it's built to mountune standards so not disappoint from me.
Yeah Mountune definitely has one of the higher quality control standards than most, but you usually pay for it $$$$.... this kit is very affordable though.
After all, they have the only warranty friendly power package. So I'd have to imagine this turbo kit is just as high in standards.

This is a different customer base.
Yes we all know about DHM's big big power kits.
This Mountune kit is clearly aimed at the hybrid power level community.
This kit has zero aim at the 360/450 DHM kits. In my opinion atleast.

You should really only compare this to the x47/37 and C39/280
With the new Gen 2 Garrett turbos the spool up and response from the GTX360r kit will be very close to the same as this kit if not better. Compare it to what you want, a Garrett turbo from Mountune is NOT a hybrid turbo and shouldn't be considered one.

With the new Gen 2 Garrett turbos the spool up and response from the GTX360r kit will be very close to the same as this kit if not better. Compare it to what you want, a Garrett turbo from Mountune is NOT a hybrid turbo and shouldn't be considered one.
But it is a similar price point. I have been considering the hybrid turbos because of price and spool, but am also considering this, pending more results. This kit certainly has it's advantages, it is priced competitively with the hybrid turbos (which are it's competition, despite the fact it is not a hybrid), is being sold by a reputable company and you get to keep your stock turbo, which can be resold or put back on the car, should you ever wish to return to stock.

As advertised, this makes similar power to the X47, and may have less variability in power output (pending data). What I mean by variability is that if you follow the X47 thread, people seem to be making anywhere from ~250whp to ~285whp on 93. If this kit can consistently hit 275whp on 93, then it becomes an even more attractive option (I understand there are many variables to this). I think the price, spool and power make this a contender to the hybrids, even though it is not one.

But it is a similar price point. I have been considering the hybrid turbos because of price and spool, but am also considering this, pending more results. This kit certainly has it's advantages, it is priced competitively with the hybrid turbos (which are it's competition, despite the fact it is not a hybrid), is being sold by a reputable company and you get to keep your stock turbo, which can be resold or put back on the car, should you ever wish to return to stock.

As advertised, this makes similar power to the X47, and may have less variability in power output (pending data). What I mean by variability is that if you follow the X47 thread, people seem to be making anywhere from ~250whp to ~285whp on 93. If this kit can consistently hit 275whp on 93, then it becomes an even more attractive option (I understand there are many variables to this). I think the price, spool and power make this a contender to the hybrids, even though it is not one.

The hybrids have a way better powerband with the same power, hence the hybrid will be a better turbo to get. Im not trying to knock this turbo or anyone wanting to get it, just trying to help out because there's more than 1 person here on the forums who thought it was a good idea until they purchased it, regreted it, and sold it for a hybrid. [MENTION=2886]FearTheSnail[/MENTION] is right on the money when he's saying to just opt for a 360r, because they have similar spool characteristics with the 360r making way more power. What would you rather have, a 2k powerband or more than 4k powerband of the hybrid with the same power?

Does anyone here have experience on the track with a bigger turbo? Thats my big concern. I know mountune says not to track the car with a bigger turbo without upgrading the internals, but I figure if any setup is safe-ish to track with it would be theirs.

A7xogg

Does anyone here have experience on the track with a bigger turbo? Thats my big concern. I know mountune says not to track the car with a bigger turbo without upgrading the internals, but I figure if any setup is safe-ish to track with it would be theirs.
Ive only seen ne fista motor blow up round the 275-300whp one. Car did a super amount of track days.

OP
Brura22

Brura22

Thread Starter #32
So if I want 275 whp I should buy the 360r kit? Not this?
Hmmm $1799 seems more attractive when I already have full bolt ons and a tuner, compared to $4k.
And if I ever want to go above 330 whp I'd need an 800 dollar aux fuel kit, soooo $5k now.
I think for someone like me, only wanting 275-300 whp, this is perfect. I have zero intention on dropping 4K on something I dont plan to fully utilize..

Also, when did I call it a hybrid? Never did, I said it's COMPETITION is the hybrid market.
Anyone with eyes can see that. It's clear as day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Brura22

Brura22

Thread Starter #33
The hybrids have a way better powerband with the same power, hence the hybrid will be a better turbo to get. Im not trying to knock this turbo or anyone wanting to get it, just trying to help out because there's more than 1 person here on the forums who thought it was a good idea until they purchased it, regreted it, and sold it for a hybrid. [MENTION=2886]FearTheSnail[/MENTION] is right on the money when he's saying to just opt for a 360r, because they have similar spool characteristics with the 360r making way more power. What would you rather have, a 2k powerband or more than 4k powerband of the hybrid with the same power?
Also... If the answer is to just opt for the 360r kit when your aim is 275 whp, then why the hell does DHM sell the ST280 kit...

At a quick glance the X47 appears to be making ~200whp on 91 at around 4,000 rpms where this turbo makes ~200whp at 4,200 rpms. It would be nice to see an overlay to get a true comparison, with multiple data points from each turbo, but that is probably out of the question right now. This turbo doesn't seem to be far off in terms of spool time (compared to X47), and is a nice option for those with a certain budget. To just opt for the 360r might not be an option for some, as it is considerably more money. This is also a modified 2554R, so that may be an unfair comparison of the forum member who sold theirs.

At the end of the day options are always nice, and hopefully people will pull the trigger on this and post up results so members can make a more informed decision.

Also... If the answer is to just opt for the 360r kit when your aim is 275 whp, then why the hell does DHM sell the ST280 kit...
You're misunderstanding what we're saying. The spool characteristics of the mountune turbo are similar to a bigger power turbo like the 360r without the power to make up for it. The hybrid has a totally different powerband and one that is going to be much more usable and fun, especially on the streets.

OP
Brura22

Brura22

Thread Starter #36
You're misunderstanding what we're saying. The spool characteristics of the mountune turbo are similar to a bigger power turbo like the 360r without the power to make up for it. The hybrid has a totally different powerband and one that is going to be much more usable and fun, especially on the streets.
No I fully understand, but saying a power band is more appealing to someone is also ridiculous in my opinion. I mean, don't assume everyone wants a hybrid power band....
What if I don't want stupid low end power?
What if I want a more linear steady spooling power band.
Something more reliable and not so donkey kick..

I want the price point and reliability of the hybrid, but not the stupid low end kick of the hybrid.

You can't assume everyone wants what you want, or wants what everyone else wants.

No I fully understand, but saying a power band is more appealing to someone is also ridiculous in my opinion. I mean, don't assume everyone wants a hybrid power band....
What if I don't want stupid low end power?
What if I want a more linear steady spooling power band.
Something more reliable and not so donkey kick..

I want the price point and reliability of the hybrid, but not the stupid low end kick of the hybrid.

You can't assume everyone wants what you want, or wants what everyone else wants.
I agree, not everyone wants the same. But i can promise a car with same power but broader powerband is faster, all day.

OP
Brura22

Brura22

Thread Starter #38
At the end of the day options are always nice, and hopefully people will pull the trigger on this and post up results so members can make a more informed decision.
I intend to buy this kit this month.

I'll have initial data logs and what not by the end of the month.

And an in house dyno protune by late May.

I'll be doing 91 oct, meth, and meth plus e30

OP
Brura22

Brura22

Thread Starter #39
I agree, not everyone wants the same. But i can promise a car with same power but broader powerband is faster, all day.
Oh I fully agree. I don't expect this kit to be the fastest.
No, not by any means.
Looks to be right on par with the other hybrids as far as peak hp goes, but with a more shifted to the right power band.