Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Tents & Touge - North Carolina Mountains, June 2-4, 2017

A few of us are working to put together a small and affordable event in the North Carolina Mountains. Tents and Touge will be the first weekend in June. The campground will be exclusively ours (though it is not exclusively a FiST event, as I've invited my friends in all types of cars). It is just five minutes from NC80 (The Devil's Whip), and 10 minutes from Bat Cave Road. We checked out the area, and it will be great. It will only be open to the first 40 cars to pre-pay their tent sites. We have a wonderful host for camping, so even if you decide to stay somewhere else, you will need to pay the very cheap camping price to participate. (20 bucks for two nights)

Link to purchase camping ticket

Even though it's camping, it's not really like "roughing it". The entire town of Marion is less than 5 miles away, so you don't need to pack in food and supplies. Just a tent, sleeping bag and whatever you would take as "carry-on".

This is a "gathering" and not a true "event". There is no sponsoring club, and no organization getting proceeds (other than Porsha, she owns the campground)

More questions? Ask me.
Thoughts? Post them.

This is what you really want.

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Is this Hwy 80/Lake Tahoma Road from near Marion up to the Blue Ridge Parkway? Used to drive that every summer to go to from Marion to Celo past the Parkway, great road but a fair amount of traffic.

OP
Thread Starter #3
Is this Hwy 80/Lake Tahoma Road from near Marion up to the Blue Ridge Parkway? Used to drive that every summer to go to from Marion to Celo past the Parkway, great road but a fair amount of traffic.
The trick is knowing when to run it. It's just one of the roads within a very short radius of the campground. All of the roads below are close by, and on the menu:

NC 80 - Marion, NC to Blue Ridge Parkway (The Devil's Whip)
NC 80 Micaville, NC to Loafers Glory, NC (beyond the Devil's Whip)
NC 226A - Marion, NC to Little Switzerland, NC (Diamondback)
NC 197 - Pensacola, NC to Erwin, TN
Double Island Road - Micaville, NC to NC 197

Hanging Rock Road - Spruce Pine, NC
Crabtree Road - Little Switzerland, NC to Micaville, NC
Bear Wallow Road/Seven Mile Ridge - Little Switzerland, NC to South Toe
19E - Spruce Pine, NC to Elk Park, TN
19W - Micaville to Erwin, TN-ish.

NC 126/South Mountains Institute/Lake James Road - Morganton, NC to Marion, NC
NC 181 - Morganton, NC to Pineola, NC
NC 90/Brown Mountain Beach Road - Lenoir, NC to Steele Creek

Bat Cave Road - Old Fort, NC to Bat Cave, NC
NC 9 - Bat Cave, NC to Black Mountain, NC
NC 74 - Bat Cave, NC to Asheville, NC

NC 151 - BRP to Asheville, NC (or just to the bottom and back)
NC 276 - Brevard, NC to Waynesville, NC
NC 215 - Brevard, NC to Canton, NC

NC 209 - Hot Springs, NC to Luck, NC
NC 63 - Luck, NC to Leicester, NC
Big Laurel Rd/Revere Rd/Lonesome Mountain Rd - Wolf Laurel, NC to Hot Springs, NC
Windy Gap/Laurel Valley Rd - Swiss, NC to Wolf Laurel, NC
Scronce Creek/Ridgeway/Wolf Laurel Rd - Swiss, NC to Wolf Laurel, NC

OP
Thread Starter #5
New Event Sponsor!

Only three weeks away!

42 Autosports, in Denver North Carolina has signed on to be the event's title sponsor! They will be hosting our Saturday SausageFest (grilling some brats and whatnot). As well as being all-around great guys, they build engines, do full car prep and custom dyno tuning and are certified pro tuners for Motec, Cobb, and others. They also are a great source for all our performance parts and performance tire needs. Welcome 42 Autosports!

I went up two weeks ago and ran some roads. What a blast! I stop and talked to Blind Kenny and his wife Donna, who do the roadside photos on The Devil's Whip. Great folks.

The new showers are complete at the campground, which is nice. We really appreciate the campground owners allowing us exclusive site use for the weekend!

OP
Thread Starter #7
Only two more sleeps!

Check-in at the campground will be available at 2PM, Friday. Porsha (campground owner) has asked that we be sure to bring ID so our pre-payment can be verified.

Those arriving early are welcome to store your gear at my house in Lenoir, NC for a Friday morning run to lunch. After lunch, we will go back to my house to retrieve gear, and head to the campground in a group. (PM for address)

Friday lunch will be at the Yellow Deli, in Hiddenite, NC. If you can't (or don't want to) make the morning run to lunch, you're welcome to meet us at Yellow Deli at about 11:15 or 11:30. There's not much in Hiddenite, so the Yellow Deli is pretty hard to miss.

If you haven't done so already, you can purchase your campground tickets, http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/2873413

Other than the Friday run, the only thing I really have "scheduled" is a Saturday morning run to Blue Ridge Biscuit Company in Black Mountain for breakfast. I plan to leave the campground at 7:30, and be at the restaurant when it opens at 8:00. For the return trip, I figure Hwy 9 down to Bat Cave, then back up Bat Cave/Old Fort Road. Probably be back at the campground around 9:30-10:00.

Not specifically planned, but I thought after that we'd run up to Loafers Glory/Red Hill and back. (80, 19E, 197, 226A, whatever feels right). Maybe decide on a lunch plan. Could go over Roan Mountain and around to lunch in Plum Tree. http://www.blindsquirrelbrewery.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/Plumtree-menu.pdf

If all works out, we'll hang out some at the campground, then do a dusk (not dark) assault on The Devil's Whip.