Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

My fix and solution for my 2016 intake cel codes p144c

Hi guys,

Just wanted to share what I did for my cel codes. I have the mishi intake on my 2016. I can tell you I researched these intakes a lot. Besides some issues with some fitments on the female adapters on this kit, I believe the octopus adapter will not provide the Venturi effect to scavenge the evaporate gases properly. The car needs the movement of pressure from the Ic cold side pipe into the intake to be accelerated thru a t piece which narrows in the middle to draw and scavenge the gases. On the 2016s the t piece is attached to the intake tubing we remove to put the aftermarket intakes on. On the 2104 and 2015 the t piece and check valve are built into the evaporate tubing itself.
So I went and bought the evaporate hoses for a 2015 fiesta st and it is plug and play, snug tight oem fit on the 2016 and onto my mishimoto intake tubing directly. Costs about $80 at the dealer. Part number in the pics...good luck all.

IMG_0359.JPG IMG_0361.JPG IMG_0360.JPG

Last edited:
OP
X
Thread Starter #3
2 weeks plus so far with no issues.
For clarification, you have to remove the intake tube to install the evap tubing in the photo. All the female fittings are the same on the 2016 as in the piece in photo. In the photo, at the top at the one o'clock position is the green clip female fitting that will go onto the male fitting on the tube coming from the evap canister at the back of the engine bay. The evap purge valve which is in the center of the photo needs to just be unclipped from its electrical connector on the 2016 and clipped onto the new one. It just pulls up off of a support piece and the new one just pushes back down. At 9 o'clock in the photo is the black female connector that just plugs right onto male connector at the intake manifold. Just take the old one off. At 7 o'clock in the photo is the green clip female connector that goes onto the male connector at the IC cool side piping. In the center of the photo is the green clip female connector that goes onto the male at the intake tube male connector. All fit perfect and tight.
Between the last 2 connectors I mentioned is the all important venturi injector t-piece, it has a round disc check valve on it visible in the photo. This piece is connected to the intake tube itself on the 2016. In the 2014-2015, it was incorporated into the tubing. I included some photos of how it works. We have to remember that when the evap purge valve (which is in the center of the photo) opens to purge, where are the fuel vapors going to go? Well, lets say we are driving on the highway for quite some time. Everywhere the female connectors go in the system is at HIGHER pressure than the evap canister. The vapors will not be able to be purged. But with the venturi injector t-piece, as the air from the IC cool side pipe gets sucked through the t-piece on the way to the intake (the boost leak we know was placed in our cars for a reason), it accelerates thru the narrowing in the middle of the t-piece, lowering pressure focally, and the round disc valve gets opened by the bernouli effect and now the evap vapors can enter the stream and get dumped into the intake. If the tubing from the aftermarket guys trying to solve this code issues does not include some type of the venturi injector, I am afraid codes will always come back at some point. It does not look to me like the mishimoto octopus adapter can make this effect happen properly.
I hope this makes sense and is helpful.

Attachments

I just ordered one for my 2016 so I can use a Mountune High Flow Induction Hose. Will report back upon install.
I just received mine today. I hope to get it installed this weekend.

Anything new to report from those who have theirs installed?

Thanks.

Oh wow, glad I found this! I've been trying to source the 2016 "fix" kit from cp-e separate from the intake since my building lost the package containing just the 2016 fix kit somehow. Was sort of bothered that their kit seemed to leave whatever this system was only partially functional, as it caps off the line coming from the intercooler cold side. It seems their kit is a no check engine light fix and not a functional fix. Now that I know what the system in question even is (new to this car) and what the 2016 vs 2015 change actually meant, I bought the older parts as well rather than pay the ~$60 shipped from cp-e for their check valve thing. I'd much rather everything is proper so thanks!

I guess just one of the intake pipes will have to come off to install this, not too bad.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
It is not a "fix" if it bypasses factory connections. Why do you think no major company has a "fix". Stick with a Ford product, what was working and legal in 2015 still is on a 2016 as it does not bypass or nor alter the function of the hose.

I think it is great that Xkrfiesta took the time to research and present this info. Hopefully some of the fixers will read and understand what their device SHOULD do but doesn't. As to Mishi...I finally got a refund from them as I was not going to wait for version 4 of their "fix". If they could not make 1-3 work I had little hope for version 4.

It is not a "fix" if it bypasses factory connections. Why do you think no major company has a "fix". Stick with a Ford product, what was working and legal in 2015 still is on a 2016 as it does not bypass or nor alter the function of the hose.

I think it is great that Xkrfiesta took the time to research and present this info. Hopefully some of the fixers will read and understand what their device SHOULD do but doesn't. As to Mishi...I finally got a refund from them as I was not going to wait for version 4 of their "fix". If they could not make 1-3 work I had little hope for version 4.
If Xkrfiesta could figure it out, then why couldn't any of the aftermarket companies, especially considering the money it is costing them to develop? Mountune for example isn't working on it at all from what I've read, but as for others, like Cobb, Mishimoto, etc., each have some kind of a fix, other than to simply replace the 2016 Plus Ford part w/a 2015.

Of course there could be liabilities from Ford when it comes to the aftermarket companies telling people to use a 2015 Ford part on a 2016 Plus, I don't know.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
If Xkrfiesta could figure it out, then why couldn't any of the aftermarket companies, especially considering the money it is costing them to develop? Mountune for example isn't working on it at all from what I've read, but as for others, like Cobb, Mishimoto, etc., each have some kind of a fix, other than to simply replace the 2016 Plus Ford part w/a 2015.

Of course there could be liabilities from Ford when it comes to the aftermarket companies telling people to use a 2015 Ford part on a 2016 Plus, I don't know.
I talked to Mountune over a year ago and was told theirs was just months away........I think the market is so small that Mountune could not justify the costs for a one off or two off if the '17 is the same market. And with their cozy relationship with Ford worldwide this is just not a priority. Fiesta ST sales were 50K in '16 and so far '17 is about the same. I think 5% would be a high max number for people that will change an intake and would be a total market of 2500 a year split between what? Four suppliers? This is why the "engineering" from some suppliers has probably been a drawing on a bar napkin faxed to China for low bid. I think Mountune had enough foresight not to touch this subject for such a small return on investment.

I just bought the oem part to install when I put in my CPE intake but for those who have installed it, is it pretty obvious where the connections go?
Did anyone take any pictures of the connection points?

Thanks in advance!

OP
X
Thread Starter #16
I just bought the oem part to install when I put in my CPE intake but for those who have installed it, is it pretty obvious where the connections go?
Did anyone take any pictures of the connection points?

Thanks in advance!
I try to outline where the attachments go in one of my posts above. It is simple. You need to take off the intake tube to get to the rear connection.

Well I finally got mine installed today.

First of all, you need to remove the engine cover piece, as well as the stock intake tube, for access to the rear tube connector, which is attached to the fuel canister.

It was straight forward, w/the only issues I had, was in getting to the rear connector piece, behind the engine, which is attached to the fuel canister, to unlock it, as well as w/the lower front one, which is attached to the Intercooler Cold Side pipe, as well. It may be easier for someone w/smaller arms. [biggrin]

By the way, there is an electrical connector attached to that Evap-Purge Valve, which needs to be unplugged. Also that same piece is held in place to the engine via a rubber grommet, which easily slides off, and the new 2015 piece slides back on to.

Once removed, you simply place the new 2015 piece in position, making sure all the lines are in their proper positions relative to what they will be plugged into, and before connecting anything, first slide that Evap-Purge Valve onto the engine mount, then plugging in the electrical connector to it, then moving on to connect the individual tube connectors onto their mating pieces, making sure that they are seated, and locking them in.

I happen to install a Mountune Intake Tube at the same time. For some reason, the Intake Tube Connector wouldn't lock onto the Intake Tube's connector. It slid on ok, but I couldn't get it to lock. After trying a couple of times, I went and carefully removed the green locking piece from it, then slid the tube in place, and seeing that it was fully seated, I was then able to slide the green locking mechanism in place and got it to finally lock w/no more problems.

Once I got everything reassembled, I started up the engine, and got no error code(s). I then went on a 50 mile round trip and again got no error code(s) at all.

Tomorrow I hope to be going on a 300 plus mile trip, and will keep you posted when I return.

Finally I'd like to thank Xkrfiesta for his research and the article and photos.

PS - The 2016 tube assembly is made up of two (2) individual tubes, while the 2015 is just one (1) complete assembly, as shown in Xkrfiesta's photos.

Last edited:

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Now people have a choice to use this Ford hose that maintains the integrity and functionality Ford intended rather than the so called "fixes" that don't fix anything but block off connections or plain do not work (over and over). I am curious as to why Ford changed the connections on the 2016 and moved the one way valve to the intake but I feel sure the 2016 version was simply cheaper to make or faster assembly at the factory production lines. I will second the thanks to Xkrfiesta for this.

For those still waiting for another "fix" from vendors ask them to just send you the Ford part. I wonder why none seemed to have had the sense from day one to see how Ford did it and reverse engineer it or just supply the Ford part? The pics from one were a riot, the guy with his vise doing the "troubleshooting" for ONE YEAR and still CEL's after what, 4 versions? They could have bought thousands of the Ford parts for what they pay him to unsuccessfully work on an adaptor that has 10-12 pieces. What is that 2000 man hours? Must be a defective vise.