Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Disable day time running lights

I was wondering that also, and MKVIIST sent me this :

froctor, try this and let me know if it works.

+2012 Fiesta. Remove Fuse F-23 from the ENGINE COMPARTMENT fuse box. Absolutely no side effects such as Chimes, lights, etc. DRLs are gone and lights function normally with the switch. This could possibly apply to previous years.
I did not attempt to remove mine, but you can give it a go and let me know how it turns out :p

If it's like most of the other Ford vehicles it has to be done with an IDS, not by the user.

I know in the US - HONDA civic, I just pulled the fuse to the drl module. Pretty easy. I assume ford does something similar

Can't be done. Headlamps are controlled by the Body Control Module, and the workshop manual says it's a non programmable feature

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Please consider we are driving around in a tiny car and most drivers out there are not really what I would call a good driver and many on their phones, texting....

DLR are a pretty important safety item would not want to give up.

I might want to use different lights, etc.... to do something I like more but they would be as bright or brighter than stock.

Sekred

1000 Post Club
Please consider we are driving around in a tiny car and most drivers out there are not really what I would call a good driver and many on their phones, texting....

DLR are a pretty important safety item would not want to give up.

I might want to use different lights, etc.... to do something I like more but they would be as bright or brighter than stock.
I got cut off yesterday when this prick just changed lanes exiting a round a bound. Had the ABS working and swerved to avoid him taking out the front of my car. He still didn't see me even after that happened, lol.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Very few know how to actually drive, I have avoided so many of them over the decades I could not begin to add it up......

Having a well sorted out, quick and I mean all areas and more than enough power available, all the time, is a far safer way to get around in, all my vehicles are treated to do the best then car for their intended use, size, etc....

I had some dumb arse the other day in a tiny little car, smaller than the FiST and no safety by current standards, texting and came so close to going under the rear wheels of my dually....and did not even notice me blasting the horn.....

-------------------

Back on topic,
DRL, great real safety item, making them even better is very cool in my book:)

Just hooked up to an IDS. Daytime running lamps are NOT a programmable parameter. At least not on a US spec ST, you either have them, or you don't.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Easy to setup if not standard, tap into any fuse with IG on, relay a ground to the lights, power from the battery, done.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
DRLs are mandatory in Canada.
However they have been discontinued in the US.
They are NOT illegal because many cars had them when first sold, when they were thought to be a good thing.
Our cars have them but they must be programmed on by the dealer.
Dealers in the US however will NOT turn them on.

The reason the US does not want them any more is because over the years studied more rear end collisions were caused due to people driving with only DRLs.
It seems that people forget to turn on headlights and DRLs do not turn on the tail lights.

Dave

51t

Removing Fuse F23 (and F25) will completely disable the front headlights. There is no specific fuse for the drl.

What I'm wondering is if there is a wire coming from the BCM that controls the drls? I would like to reroute that wire to the fog lights and use them as the drls.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Removing Fuse F23 (and F25) will completely disable the front headlights. There is no specific fuse for the drl.
What I'm wondering is if there is a wire coming from the BCM that controls the drls? I would like to reroute that wire to the fog lights and use them as the drls.
There is NO specific wire for DRLs.
The only wires to the headlights come directly from the BCM.
The only way to turn the DRLs on or off is to program the BCM.
Maybe you can convince your dealer in Canada to turn them OFF.
However as I do believe they are mandatory in Canada, there may be a liability issue.
This is the same reason DRLs will NOT be turned ON in the US.

Sense I did not have the DRLs on, It was easy for me to wire the Fog Lights to come on any time the engine is running.

Dave

I hooked my car up to my IDS yesterday and there isn't even an option to turn them on. Now, I'm not saying that wiring in a relay on a hot wire won't work if you feel that you must have DRL, but I will say, as someone that works on Ford vehicles all day long, the BCM "may" not like seeing voltage on a circuit that it did not tell to have voltage...

Yeah, just checked workshop manual, it will throw a B1D01:15 in the BCM for a short to battery.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
I hooked my car up to my IDS yesterday and there isn't even an option to turn them on. Now, I'm not saying that wiring in a relay on a hot wire won't work if you feel that you must have DRL, but I will say, as someone that works on Ford vehicles all day long, the BCM "may" not like seeing voltage on a circuit that it did not tell to have voltage...
You could always put a diode in the line to prevent voltage from feeding back to the BCM.
However if you sent a lower voltage to the high beams you would not need diodes.
There is a relay on the high beams, so if you added power between the relay and the high beam, no power could feed back to the BCM.

In the 2011 Fiesta there was a DRL relay that supplied a lower voltage to the high beams, what lights come on now for DRLs?
The service manual does not show this.

Dave