Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

need new tires.....

so im still on stock suspensions setup and stock factory 17inch wheels. the stock tires that comes are(well mines was) a 205/17/40.
im just looking for more traction, and was wondering whats the widest i can put on w/o rubbing or any problems. i dont want to buy new wheels if i dont have to cuz im not intrested in wheels nor do i really care about the exterior modds. i just want it grip and ride smoother. thanks

I want to help you, but I don't know exactly what you're after. Wider does not mean more grip. Also, its not easy getting smooth and high grip.
Maybe prioritize what you want.

OP
D
Thread Starter #3
Yea my bad I don't really know anything about wheels & tires. I'm just trying to get more traction without getting new wheels. And I assumed wider would be more grip. But that's why I shouldint be assuming shit lol

OP
D
Thread Starter #4
And I need to buy new tires(all 4) cuz mines almost bald so that's also why

neeqness

1000 Post Club
Firehawk Indy 500 all the way (not the Wide Oval). I'd recommend the 205/45 17 at stock height. There's a thread here on these as well for more info.

Google the best price at an online store than call or visit your local Firestone shop to see them beat the online price. If they have it in stock, even better.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

neeqness

1000 Post Club
And I need to buy new tires(all 4) cuz mines almost bald so that's also why
Hey I just noticed you are in my area. If you like I can let you have my old Wide Ovals. They aren't as grippy, smooth, or quiet as the Indy 500s but they ride a lot smoother and quieter than stock.

They are just sitting in my house wrapped in plastic collecting dust and I cant use them now anyway since I changed wheels so you can have them if you want while you decide. PM me if interested.

OP
D
Thread Starter #8
Thanks G I appreciate the offer but I just got some new hankooks. It was $80 each so I said fuck it lol

neeqness

1000 Post Club
Thanks G I appreciate the offer but I just got some new hankooks. It was $80 each so I said fuck it lol
Cool, no problem bro. Just glad you aren't stuck having to move around town on bald tires. Hope you like the hankooks. I used to have some on my last car. They weren't too bad for the price.

Which Hankooks did you get, the Ventus V2? I had those before and rrally liked them. Tried to pick up a set when looking for new ones but they were backordered at the time. Ended up getting nitto neogens which are ok, but wouldn't get again.

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
tread design, tire compound, pressure, sidewall construction, and width all play a factor into traction. If it is acceleration traction, there is always throttle modulation. I have been using P215/40 17 (reads 215mm wide, 40% aspect ratio, and 17" wheel) on my Fiestas without any issue. I found the factory size to not offer enough wheel protection and looked too skinny for my liking, however, the design and compound were outstanding in terms of traction. The Tire Rack does a great job using data and reviews to develop comparison charts. You will want to weigh dry traction, wet traction, noise, and wear. Changing how you enter a corner, brake, and accelerate will create a big difference on how much traction you have to work with and will make more of a change than just tires. On the street, you should never be close to running out of traction with a summer performance tire.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^VERY well stated! [thumb]

For my tastes, even a 215/40-17 "looks" way too narrow (even though it is what I am installing on my 17x8s), and I wish that SOMEONE made a 225/40-17 in a STREET capable tire for us. [:(]

My guess is that a 235/40-17 will rub everywhere due to height combined with width, even on a factory height FiST, let alone a slightly lowered one, and that width is well beyond 'optimal' for an 8" wide wheel.

OP
D
Thread Starter #13
Cool, no problem bro. Just glad you aren't stuck having to move around town on bald tires. Hope you like the hankooks. I used to have some on my last car. They weren't too bad for the price.

yea...i almost died during the storms we had earlier this year lol it wasint fun but now im good,hopefully these hankooks will last a while. once again i really appriciate your offer G.
idk where you stay in la but i work at a body shop in ktown so if something happens,hmu and ill see what i can do to help.

OP
D
Thread Starter #14
Which Hankooks did you get, the Ventus V2? I had those before and rrally liked them. Tried to pick up a set when looking for new ones but they were backordered at the time. Ended up getting nitto neogens which are ok, but wouldn't get again.
yea the V2, i haveint stepped on it yet but hopefully it doesint burn out crazy when launching lol they are all-weather too so the durability should be good too.

neeqness

1000 Post Club
yea...i almost died during the storms we had earlier this year lol it wasint fun but now im good,hopefully these hankooks will last a while. once again i really appriciate your offer G.
idk where you stay in la but i work at a body shop in ktown so if something happens,hmu and ill see what i can do to help.
Thanks I appreciate the offer...good looking out. I actually used to live in k-town and I miss it in some ways. It was cool except the traffic lol...now it's even worse but I still have friends out there so I go occassionally. I'm in Gardena now though.

I'm also with SoCal ST/RS Club on FB. They go for drives all the time and actually there's a drive coming up this Saturday with a BBQ at the beach if you are interested. You can check them out on FB for more info.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/366698310381618?ref=bookmarks

Waterfan

yea the V2, i haveint stepped on it yet but hopefully it doesint burn out crazy when launching lol they are all-weather too so the durability should be good too.
Since it seems you are learning, please remember tire pressure is almost as important as a good alignment. It is OK to play around with tire pressures until you find the best balance of grip and comfort for your needs. (Not lower than 32 and not higher than 45. Generally more grip and better fuel econ at higher pressures. FiST "feels" most neutral to me with +3psi in the front vs rear - e.g. I run 38 front/35 rear on a daily basis and bump it up to 40/37 for canyon runs.)

neeqness

1000 Post Club
Since it seems you are learning, please remember tire pressure is almost as important as a good alignment. It is OK to play around with tire pressures until you find the best balance of grip and comfort for your needs. (Not lower than 32 and not higher than 45. Generally more grip and better fuel econ at higher pressures. FiST "feels" most neutral to me with +3psi in the front vs rear - e.g. I run 38 front/35 rear on a daily basis and bump it up to 40/37 for canyon runs.)
Agreed. However, there is better fuel economy at high pressures but with less grip. You get better grip at pressures below recommended. Just be careful not to go too low.

You also get a smoother ride at slightly lower pressures but a bumpier ride at the higher pressures. Tire make is a factor and can cause results to vary so it's always good to experiment with new tires until you hit your "sweet spot".