Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Heat Shield PSA

Hello all,

This post is a PSA for those of you doing down pipe and turbo work.

Over the weekend we had a fire caused by a disconnected oil line (magic invisible bolts)
http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/...heat-shield-bolts-hold-any-oil-related-pieces

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mishimoto does a decent guide of the down pipe install:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ok16KgZ1AQM

and [MENTION=731]chalituna[/MENTION] did a better guide:
http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/4472-Downpipe-install-DIY-with-pics!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Both the guides miss the oil line location
Here is a photo of the oil line location (yellow, directly above the waste gate actuator/top of the 90[SUP]o[/SUP] turbo inlet pipe.

Here is the location in closer detail:

the bolt is very unique looking in comparison. But in the mix of things can get taken off. It's simple to reinstall, just place the line back into the block, this should align the bolt with the hole.

***************************************************************************************************
IF YOU RUN THE MOTOR WITH THIS LINE OFF, YOU WILL PUKE OIL EVERYWHERE, AND LIKELY CAUSE A FIRE AT THE OIL FEED LINE.
***************************************************************************************************

If this happens, you will need to do an oil change. 4.3 quarts of oil / motocraft PN FL-910S filter (factory).

https://cobbtuning.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/201233974-Tutorial-DIY-Fiesta-ST-Oil-Change

And clean the F*** out of the engine bay with de-greaser.

Do this with the intake to turbo inlet pipe off (and cowls etc) and the inlet and intake piping covered with something (we used a black garbage bag (cut into a square), zipped down, and then covered with a latex glove).

It should be about 3-5 rounds from the top of De-grease and spray then about two from the bottom after (note we had the heat shield off). You will likely still have smoke/ burning oil in small amounts.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks to the guys on the Forum and local Facebook page for saving me a tow truck ride and embarrassing conversation with the mechanic

Be safe out there folks! Fire should only come out the exhaust ;)

This literally just happened to me tonight... luckily no fire. I think I accidentally took the bolt out when removing my heat shield for a down pipe installation.

Needless to say, I've got a lot of cleaning to do and was able to get the car home safely.

OP
B
Thread Starter #3
This literally just happened to me tonight... luckily no fire. I think I accidentally took the bolt out when removing my heat shield for a down pipe installation.

Needless to say, I've got a lot of cleaning to do and was able to get the car home safely.
Glad you didn't have a fire! I had to degrease the engine bay a few times then let the rest of the oil cook off. Wear a mask and go for a drive for an hour :p

I'm having a new issue now, my car wont go into boost. I have vacuum and I've checked all the hoses/ clamps for a boost leak... but nothing. No turbo noise, no check engine lights, no codes, car still sounds normal, etc.

My guess is wastegate, boost solenoid, or sensor issue considering they were saturated with oil lol

Any suggestions? I'm at a loss.

OP
B
Thread Starter #5
Check the wastegate solenoid and the other two sensors leading to the intake manifold (one is on cold side, one is on the manifold). Clean your BOV also.

Ran into a similar issue recently, won't be suprised if you throw P0246 soon. Check any vacum hoses etc.

Oh man, this just happened to my cousin and me this weekend. I have done my buddies Fiesta ST and my FOST and went well no hick-ups. My little cousin wanted to learn so we did it together and he missed the screw and I failed to check the work. He drove away (pretty far) and he never noticed until it started smoking and car shut down. Know he has a rod knock. I would have preferred it caught fire because now it will be expensive to fix. I feel for the little guy.