Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

LSD Installation Thread

Sekred

1000 Post Club
Hi Rod, when you removed your gearbox how many electrical switches are fitted to it?, I was wondering how the Engine control unit receives a signal to tell it which gear has been selected.
Thanks.

OP
R

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #22
Hi Rod, when you removed your gearbox how many electrical switches are fitted to it?, I was wondering how the Engine control unit receives a signal to tell it which gear has been selected.
Thanks.
OK I thought It was only the one wire connected to the shifter gear selector and I went through the manual just to be sure and it only has the one wire connected near the front base of the gear slelector

Here you can see the Black arrow pointing to the Pink plug with the Yellow wire at the bottom center of this drawing

OP
R

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #24
I have been in Contact with Quaife UK about the above mentioned new sound i was hearing and as I hoped it is just the Diff being a Diff .. here is the Email from them Dated 7/31/2014 :)

Hello

Thank you for your e-mail and first of all glad you are happy with the differential and send us over a picture of your vehicle and we will add it to our Facebook pictures as we love to see all of our customers vehicles.

Regarding your question I can advise that you will have a slight noise coming from the differential as it is the pinions moving slightly in the pockets. This is a normal noise and nothing for you to worry about and I have just spoken to our R7D representative and they have confirmed this is normal as well.

Hope the above is all ok and if you have any further questions please just ask.

Kind regards

Matt Weller

Technical Sales

DDI +44 (0)1732 749526

I'm installing NXG 3J diff soon, anyone have the torque specs for the gearbox bolts?
Just to make sure, you didn't need to replace any parts when installing the Quaife diff?

OP
R

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #26
Case bolts are
NOTICE: Make sure that new bolts are installed.

Torque :
Stage 1: 18 Nm
Stage 2: 90 degree

Tq to stg one then tq 90 degrees past that moving the tq wrench in a circle make it 1/4 turn more of a turn after stage one tq is set.

Also the ring gear on the Diff is
Tighten each bolt 1 turn at a time.
Torque :
Stage 1: 50 Nm
Stage 2: 90 degree
hope this helps

OP
R

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #27
Nice this will be helpful, maybe you also remember spec. for OEM gear oil?
Motorcraft Dual Clutch Transmission Fluid XT-11-QDC ; WSS-M2C200-D2 ; 1.67 (Dry fill)

that being said I had a hard time finding this fluid so I just filtered my old fluid and used it for a quick short milage break in process for the diff to make sure it was all good then I draind it and refill with new.. I have since then switched to a Motul300 trans fluid with good results and I know other have switched to other brands with no ill effect as of yet ..

Also do you have a line on shims for setting the preload on the new diff as well as a new seal if needed ? I did mine and it came out to the same shim that was in there from the factory

OP
R

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #28
Setting the preload sets the bearing correctly in the diff so you are not too tight (leads to heat and possible failure of the bearing) or too loose causing noise some call backlash here is a pdf file of how to assemble and set the trans and diff preload
LINKY

OP
R

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #29
While we are revisiting this thread Rod, what Extra parts do you need to complete this job. Bearings for the new LSD, 2 half shaft axel seals, anything else?. Thanks
depending on milage you could get by with one seal but yes that is all you should need bearings and seals and a few bolts if you want to replace them..

OP
R

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #30
Of the LSD's I have installed (two total now) I will say the wavetrac I put in my Acura RSX was a easier install as getting the shim measurement was easier as it was done with a feeler gauge and went rather easy plus at the time parts were/are cheap and easy to acquire .. But over all this was a fun learning experience and glad to be of help to all that follow ..

JPGC

2000 Post Club
Motorcraft Dual Clutch Transmission Fluid XT-11-QDC ; WSS-M2C200-D2 ; 1.67 (Dry fill)

that being said I had a hard time finding this fluid so I just filtered my old fluid and used it for a quick short milage break in process for the diff to make sure it was all good then I draind it and refill with new.. I have since then switched to a Motul300 trans fluid with good results and I know other have switched to other brands with no ill effect as of yet ..

Also do you have a line on shims for setting the preload on the new diff as well as a new seal if needed ? I did mine and it came out to the same shim that was in there from the factory
Yeah, I've had the AMSOIL in there for about 2500 miles. It is a little notchy when cold, but perfect when it's warmed up. Long term..., idk until I either have an issue or when I change the fluid next time. As long as it comes out clean, I should be gtg. We will see, lol

Well my quaife is in the mail. I was not planning to install it until March but I am thinking of doing it sooner if it helps at all with snow traction. My stock tires are down to the tread bars at 9k miles and I was hoping to get them to last until March when I put the new wheels and tires on.

How long did it take to get the bearing / seals from the dealer?

OP
R

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #33
if they are in stock only a few days but I would check to make sure if they are on back order you could source the bearing by number and get it that way seals I think are readily available too if you source the number.

Bearing number is (NSK) LM29749 can be cross ref with timken brg too

Page 263 in Timken Cat. LINKY

L M 2 9 7 4 9 FM .......................... LM29749
L M 2 9 7 4 9 SKF ......................... LM29749

CanadianST

Really thinking about this myself. As my FiST is a summer only daily (with another rig that i can drive when needed) I'll probably end up doing the install myself when i finally buy it. Just cant wait for spring when i get my car out of storage!

I went ahead and bought it because it's on sale at mountune for 900. Probably the best deal you will find if you want one.

I had the quaife diff installed yesterday at mountune HQ UK. Took them about four hours and 999GBP of my money(diff price + consumables + install). Totally worth it. The car feels like it should have came with the diff from the factory. It feels...right. ha

I see you use the bearing install tool, but what tool did you use for bearing removal?

OP
R

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #38
I see you use the bearing install tool, but what tool did you use for bearing removal?
I replaced the bearings with new so the factory bearings and races are still with the factory LSD to remove the race from the trans case I used a long narrom punch as per the shop manual

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
999GPB installed seems like a great deal as it is a lot of work for mere DIY mortals:)

----------------

I used punches and big sockets on my install, easier with the proper tools but it is working just fine, no leaks, etc...

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Bearing separators tear up the shims. Are these carriers shimmed the same way a non-3rd-member style trans is? Like an 8.8 or dana ?

I've never had a trans axle apart.... Transfer cases, rearends, but never a manual trans or transaxle. But i've rebuilt everything else fine, so.... "Ant skerd".