Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

LSD Installation Thread

TDavis

1000 Post Club
I ended up needing a .30 shim to replace the stock .50
Odd theres so much variance. I saw a post somewhere on here where someone needed a total of like 1.3mm shims or something. He also shimmed both sides for whatever reason

Quisp

1000 Post Club
Odd theres so much variance. I saw a post somewhere on here where someone needed a total of like 1.3mm shims or something. He also shimmed both sides for whatever reason
I rebuild industrial gearboxes, you have to find total endplay , shim one side for proper gear engagement and subtract the difference to add proper shim stack for the other side.

Sent from my SM-A205U1 using Tapatalk

haste

1000 Post Club
If you need factory manual references (annotated PDFs), more pics and sheets, find 'em on my blog: http://blog.sluggyjunx.com/rebuilding-the-transmission-in-my-2014-ford-fiesta-st/
Gotta say thanks for all the great info and the time taken to put it all together. It's gonna be a big help installing the new final drive bits.

My budget allowed me to order a 20 ton hydraulic press. Got one from Grizzly Industrial. I decided I'd rather just do it all at home than take parts back and forth to work. Plus I get to work on the whole thing in the comfort of my own home.

I'm really looking forward to getting this whole thing started and hopefully I won't need a acetylene torch. ;)

TDavis

1000 Post Club
I rebuild industrial gearboxes, you have to find total endplay , shim one side for proper gear engagement and subtract the difference to add proper shim stack for the other side.

Sent from my SM-A205U1 using Tapatalk
How come most FiSTs are just shimming one side?

TDavis

1000 Post Club
No, I purchased shims after getting my measurement. So i just took the measurement after removing the stock shim.
Gotcha. Measured mine last night with a 0.1m shim. Average float ended up being 0.34mm+0.1mm for the measuring shim+ the 0.14mm Ford tells you to add, ended up needing a 0.6mm. Hopefully that helps my case

Peterson

Premium Account
Gotcha. Measured mine last night with a 0.1m shim. Average float ended up being 0.34mm+0.1mm for the measuring shim+ the 0.14mm Ford tells you to add, ended up needing a 0.6mm. Hopefully that helps my case
Same average float I had. Ended up being .58

.58 doesn’t exist. Rounded up to .6

I’m undergoing this process right now and it’s been quite the adventure. I just measured end float the other day and came up with 0.1 mm, pretty consistently, bringing the shim thickness to 0.24 mm. The closest shim size is 0.2 mm so that’s what I’ll be using.

EXTREME thanks to MattW and SluggyJunx. Matt’s input has been invaluable and Sluggy’s guides have been my roadmap during the whole process.

Attachments

Has anyone had issues with the clutch line leaking at the slave cylinder/clutch line fitting after reassembly? I’m using a new slave cylinder and I’ve transferred over the rubber nipple from the old one and it seems to fit perfectly (photo of the nipple and fitting is attached). It’s not dripping but it is seeping fluid from where the little retainer clip slides into the slave side of the fitting. I also verified that the thick gasket is in place in the very back of the slave cylinder fitting. Thoughts?

Attachments

TDavis

1000 Post Club
Has anyone had issues with the clutch line leaking at the slave cylinder/clutch line fitting after reassembly? I’m using a new slave cylinder and I’ve transferred over the rubber nipple from the old one and it seems to fit perfectly (photo of the nipple and fitting is attached). It’s not dripping but it is seeping fluid from where the little retainer clip slides into the slave side of the fitting. I also verified that the thick gasket is in place in the very back of the slave cylinder fitting. Thoughts?
Mine leaked after reassembly and I was so annoyed but then later found out the black grommet thats on the end of the hardline that you see in your picture, that goes into the slave and mine somehow popped off the line while it was out of the slave and was missing. I ended up just buying a new hardline from Ford for like $11. I can get the part number if you'd like. As far as I know thats what seals the connection there

Mine leaked after reassembly and I was so annoyed but then later found out the black grommet thats on the end of the hardline that you see in your picture, that goes into the slave and mine somehow popped off the line while it was out of the slave and was missing. I ended up just buying a new hardline from Ford for like $11. I can get the part number if you'd like. As far as I know thats what seals the connection there
Is this the grommet that you’re talking about? This is out of the old slave cylinder fitting, but I didn’t move it to the new one because it seemed like the new one already had its own. I had to really pick and pry at the back of the old slave connector to get this out.

Attachments

TDavis

1000 Post Club
Is this the grommet that you’re talking about? This is out of the old slave cylinder fitting, but I didn’t move it to the new one because it seemed like the new one already had its own. I had to really pick and pry at the back of the old slave connector to get this out.
Mine was the one thats attached to the clutch line itself, it wasn't in the slave

Mine was the one thats attached to the clutch line itself, it wasn't in the slave
Ok well I’ve got that one in at least. I’m really out of ideas so I’m just going to roll with it as is and monitor the situation closely. Maybe it’ll seat better with time/heat...

Not an install question, but has anyone started to experience a more pronounced thud when moving gear lever 1->2nd (before releasing the clutch) or forward reverse after MFactory/Quaife LSD went in? Car drives fine and actually feels tighter on shifts other than that. Could also be heard going reverse <-> neutral and let it spin for a bit <-> forward. I can't exactly remember how that was before the install but I'm certain it was a bit quieter.

haste

1000 Post Club
Definitely no thud here, but I also did a final drive conversion at the same time and replaced all bearings. Transmission shifts and feels better than before...