Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

LSD Installation Thread

anticon

I put the LSD install kit together. Here are some pics. Total price was $121.26 minus shipping. The seals were on backorder for a while.

Attachments

I just installed mine last weekend. Have removed plenty of transmissions but never opened one up before. Removal pretty straightforward and easy, except if your following the service manual it wants you to loosen the lower ball joints to get cv axles out. Mine were seized in there, and took about an hour to get one out utterly destroying the ball join boot. What i did instead was remove the shock bolts and brake caliper and this gave me enough to get the axles out the trans. Then I just swapped ring gear over from factory diff to mfactory one, torqued and slid bearings on (left diff in freezer overnight). Put trans back together and let sit for few days to cure (Prob unneeded but I was awaiting control arm at this point so no rush lol). Also I am not sure if our ball joints are replacable, service manual showed whole unit with control arm, and i could not find a snap ring or anything holding it in. Spent several hours trying to get it out and finally cut/grinded it, only to have no luck getting replacement ball joint in without damaging it (Boot was ballooned and was getting cut/pinched). for price of control arm vs balljoint, was just not worth it to me. ive ran it for little bit on jackstands to check for leaks and crunching noises and so far so good. Should be able to get it back on ground this weekend and actually drive it .

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
Can't decide if I want to try clutch/LSD/gears on my own or pay someone to do it. Kinda leaning towards paying since I haven't done a FWD clutch in about 17 years.

haste

1000 Post Club
The clutch is easy in this car. There really isn't a whole lot to take apart/move before unbolting the tranny. Main thing you have to worry about is supporting the engine without the rear or tranny mounts in there.

Can't decide if I want to try clutch/LSD/gears on my own or pay someone to do it. Kinda leaning towards paying since I haven't done a FWD clutch in about 17 years.
Make sure to install clutch correct direction. Have seen a few threads on here where people put it on backwards. I didnt change mine out, car only has 36xxx miles on it.

Bleh, looks cable adjustment didn't fix the clunks... I'm trying to understand the gearbox and think what could be clunking so hard from photos and I think OP mentioned that the separate gear is the reverse, did I get this right?
Inkedmaxresdefault_LI.jpg

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Who used an Engine support for the removal of the Trans? IF so what kind do you have or did you use? Just trying to get my Ducks in a row for my Trans removal.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
That's what I was told by Tasca at the time. I have a spare if anyone needs one, but only one.
I will start compiling a list of parts as I am going down the Trans. Pulling road soon and that is one thing that will need to be replaced when the Trans. Is removed from the FiST.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

haste

1000 Post Club
I just used a jack stand and some wood to support the engine during trans removal/installation.

Yeah I tried to find a engine support locally but no place had it in stock, i ended up just using a second jack and piece of wood. It was good taking it out, was a pain getting it back lined in lol

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Mine leaked after reassembly and I was so annoyed but then later found out the black grommet thats on the end of the hardline that you see in your picture, that goes into the slave and mine somehow popped off the line while it was out of the slave and was missing. I ended up just buying a new hardline from Ford for like $11. I can get the part number if you'd like. As far as I know thats what seals the connection there
line P#
C1BZ-7A512-A

Looks like I'm attempting to get my Wavetrac in the weekend of the 13th, borrowing a mechanic friend's shop space and experience. I've got the LSD install kit, RTS slave cylinder for while I'm in there, and I figure I probably should pick up most of what is on the now very old list Worthams provided, barring anything clutch/flywheel related. Anything I'm not thinking of or should be aware of? I appreciate that in the years I've owned this car and have read threads on LSDs, there's still no single conclusion on if it's actually worth buying shims or not.

Frankly I'd still rather just have it done with Clarke because I like smooth transmissions over chunky ones, but I'm not flush enough with cash to front $5600 without shipping and have my daily driver down too. So I have to learn instead of getting to be lazy.

Ford Community Posts