Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

MeisterR ZetaCRD Coilovers issue

I was doing my routine tire rotation and came across this....

I am not really sure what to make of this. After removing the passenger side shock and taking a closer look, this has been like this for a while. I checked the driver side shock and it seemed fine. Not sure what happened to this one.

Some Facts:
- I purchased and installed the coilovers in Oct, 2016.
- I installed them without adjusting any settings.

I have contacted MeisterR vendor via email and also left a voicemail. For the time being, I installed one of the factory rear shocks while, I wait for the vendor to respond. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Wtff? Did you notice anything while driving? I have the same coils and installed at the same time... Maybe I'll go give the collars a tightening for good measure

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

OP
J
Thread Starter #3
I did hear some clunking noises when going over bumps but thought it was the rear seat rattle (past issue with my car). The collar was much lower (the clean portion noted in pic 1) I moved it and decided to take some pics. I am not sure how this can even happen. I am not a rally driver, nor do I perform stunts. This is my daily driver and is driven on the highway 90% of the time.

I feel like somebody else had posted about this issue before but cant find the thread.

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
[MENTION=5103]Jatt[/MENTION] as a side note, you're missing the noise insulator/anti-squeak for the top spring perch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All that metal ware on lock collar and lower body from your tire sidewall/rim? How many miles since install?

Have MeisterR ZetaCRD since May 2016. Noticed unusual clunking at right rear about 2k miles after install and found it to be loose lock collar. Since then, I've check them regularly (like tire pressures, oil level, coolant level)... Just never imagined the lower body would unscrew and detach completely as yours did! I've also noticed only my right rear collar loose, never the left.

OP
J
Thread Starter #8
[MENTION=5103]Jatt[/MENTION] as a side note, you're missing the noise insulator/anti-squeak for the top spring perch.

Thanks for the heads up. Should the rubber insulators been included with the coilovers or was I suppose to reuse the stock ones. Its been a while, can't recall.

OP
J
Thread Starter #9

All that metal ware on lock collar and lower body from your tire sidewall/rim? How many miles since install?

Have MeisterR ZetaCRD since May 2016. Noticed unusual clunking at right rear about 2k miles after install and found it to be loose lock collar. Since then, I've check them regularly (like tire pressures, oil level, coolant level)... Just never imagined the lower body would unscrew and detach completely as yours did! I've also noticed only my right rear collar loose, never the left.
Good to know. I had no idea. I will double check the driverside. As for the metal, no damage to the rim or the body. I guess the upper body with the threads was rubbing with the lower metal capsule like shell. The coilovers have about 15k on them.

Does anyone know how MeisterR folks are with customer service? I haven't heard anything and would like to get this resolved as soon as possible, as I dont like the idea of driving the car with mismatched suspension.

KKaWing

For future reference, when installing coilovers, take a blunt large flathead screw driver (or wrap the tip) and a hammer to tap the locking collars tight. This is a tip that Odi from Feal Suspension recommends.

http://fealsuspensionstore.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Feal-441-Coilover-set-up-Guide.pdf (Point #4)

One of his older install videos show him give a gentle but firm tap (collar maybe moved 1/8th inch or something). To unlock just use the same method in the other direction. The usual anti-seize... bla bla bla...

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Good to know. I had no idea. I will double check the driverside. As for the metal, no damage to the rim or the body. I guess the upper body with the threads was rubbing with the lower metal capsule like shell. The coilovers have about 15k on them.

Does anyone know how MeisterR folks are with customer service? I haven't heard anything and would like to get this resolved as soon as possible, as I dont like the idea of driving the car with mismatched suspension.
Jerrick is usually pretty quick during business hours. He'll get it sorted out.

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran

Thanks for the heads up. Should the rubber insulators been included with the coilovers or was I suppose to reuse the stock ones. Its been a while, can't recall.
No, they're not included. You were supposed to reuse the stock ones. They're fairly cheap if you tossed them. I have the part number, but not on me at the moment.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^You could also use the lock ring adjuster tool itself with a plastic dead blow hammer to the same effect, as long as you keep the tool stable, and fully engaged into the lock ring.

OP
J
Thread Starter #14
Thanks guys. I will make sure that I play close attention to the coilover coller coming loose. Jerrick responded to my email and they are looking into it.

MeisterR

Vendor
Just to note that I am on it.
It is a odd as generally this do not happen, but it seems to be a very Fiesta ST specific issue.
I will talk to engineering to see if there are any reason for such things to happen, and will keep everyone informed.

When the locking collar become loose, it is possible for external force to move the damper out of the bracket.
If you hear any odd noise, please check to ensure all locking collars are tight as can happen if the locking collar comes loose.

Jerrick

OP
J
Thread Starter #16
Quick update guys. Kudos to Jerrick for going above and beyong with providing customer service. The replacement is on its way. Quick question on the missing noise insulator, please look at the following pics. The spring has a black rubber piece at the bottom and at the top. Is there anything that needs to between the spring?

OP
J
Thread Starter #19
Thanks Koozy! I installed the rubber isolator to relax my paranoia. When I took the assembly apart there was no hint of movement and I was not getting any noise from it.

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I asked Jerrik directly on one of his threads about that isolator and he said i didn't need it. I asked him cuz it bothered me that it didn't sit flush, nor would it completely since the rubber is shaped to the curved contours of the OEM spring and the MR mount is flat. So i left it off & threw a thin coat of hi-temp lithium on it and have had 12k+ trouble free miles. The design prevents any moving under load anyway. But if guys have been using them, that explains why i've noticed some guys cars are slightly higher in the rear. I knew i wasn't crazy ;)

And like yours, my collars came loose but i was expecting it. I wasn't sure I was going to like the out of box height settings (i did). I didn't "hammer them home" until i drove around a bit and was sure i wasn't going to change the height. And it's not just a Fiesta thing Jerrick. The BC Racing coils on the wife's Mazda did the exact same thing. I suspect it happens with setups where the rear shock length is adjustable. This is the first coil setup i've run into that does that. The KW V2s and Bilstein PPS9s i've run b4 did NOT have a threaded shock body.

Also, it's warming up now so it's time to get the car up and clean the winter gunk from the coils. Something i recommended everyone in the snow belt do after the thaw!