Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Fiesta ST Intercooler Info Thread

dyn085

2000 Post Club
Hi Dyno

So what are we looking at with the AP here?
I'm interested in how it shows restriction in the intake system?.
The picture in and of itself does not show for or against intake restriction, but when compared against other stage 3 setups with intakes using 93 octane I have yet to see anyone else post comparable estimated tq numbers.

Yes, estimated torque is not correct to what a dyno would read, but it's still a mathematical calculation that remains unchanged and can be used for 'general' comparisons in similarly-equipped vehicles.

Now, for a 100% accurate intake comparison, I will be doing before/after datalogs when I get actually one, and that will happen relatively soon now that cp-e had released it. Until then the only thing I have to fall-back on is my data comparing the OEM filter vs Cobb drop-in in different configurations of the stock lower box and 'unlimited plenum' mod, which showed me that I now need to buy a new lower box.

JPGC

2000 Post Club
The key is that someone would have to test each intake the same day within a hour and at the same location or so for the most consistent results. I have not had time to test my 2JR yet, but as someone who has had 3 other intakes with comparable logs, I can say that there is is very little difference in the gains seen and/ or felt. With that said...temperature difference is still a factor in my results as well. My location is the same though. I will say that I am happy with the performance of the 2JR as the placebo tells me that it's faster, lol, or it may be cause it sounds faster...in all seriousness though, in daily driving, the car has never felt better than now with the 2JR, actual full 3" exhaust and my other mods.

dyn085

2000 Post Club
If I wanted to make money selling parts, I would make a bunch as well. Even Injen has an intake for sale and even Cobb has charge pipes.

The point is that just because something is for sale doesn't necessarily mean that it's beneficial or needed.

Young L

If I wanted to make money selling parts, I would make a bunch as well. Even Injen has an intake for sale and even Cobb has charge pipes.

The point is that just because something is for sale doesn't necessarily mean that it's beneficial or needed.
and everyone has an opinion that isnt necessarily beneficial or needed either.

dyn085

2000 Post Club
and everyone has an opinion that isnt necessarily beneficial or needed either.
Exactly, which is why I always recommend people look for and ask to see data. When it comes to performance parts I'm always more willing to believe a manufacturer such as ATP that states up-front that something is not needed versus another manufacturer/vendor that claims gains. For as many claims as there are that removing the donut results in gains, one would think that there would be logs to substantiate it. Not surprisingly, there aren't.

MOFiST

Dyno is correct in that until logs are posted it's mere speculation as to whether the oem compressor charge pipe is losing us any hp.

I'm actually surprised with the amount of Cobb AP's out in the wild the few logs I see posted. Having had one for my previous vehicle I know just how simple it is you'd think people would do a simple before and after WOT log to reveal what their parts have done to the virtual dyno as well as other parameters. I'm so disappointed I myself cannot use this part as I'd love to be involved with this aspect of the forum.

dyn085

2000 Post Club
jebus, so negative all the time. Why cant it just be because race car?
I guess you're missing all of the times where I say that if you want to do things just to do them that that's fine, just don't get your hopes up on it being a legitimate performance modification. People seem to confuse being realistic with being negative these days. Fwiw, I have charge pipes on my car-you just don't understand what I'm saying. I'm one of the biggest advocates for doing what you want regardless of public opinion (anyone that's watched the stance debates should be able to attest), I just think that people should know exactly what they're getting into before spending their money/time.

There's a huge difference between saying 'do this because you want to' and 'this will give you a performance gain but I don't know how much because I'm only speculating and this has never been proven even though I have the means to prove it but haven't'. Stay grounded in reality and you won't be disappointed, believe speculation without proof and you might (or at least your cognitive dissonance will put you on the wrong side of the discussion).

The FiST community is wrought with misinformation and speculation and oddly it seems like many would rather continue believing hype than try to make informed decisions. I've asked multiple people for before/after datalogs and they never appear. Imho, there's a reason for that. By all means-do it because racecar if you want, just don't be surprised when the mythical 5hp doesn't show up on your V-Dyno.

koozy

3000 Post Club
I'm actually surprised with the amount of Cobb AP's out in the wild the few logs I see posted. Having had one for my previous vehicle I know just how simple it is you'd think people would do a simple before and after WOT log to reveal what their parts have done to the virtual dyno as well as other parameters.
I suspect most don't care enough to log or don't want to reveal their disappointment.

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
I suspect most don't care enough to log or don't want to reveal their disappointment.
Have we ever met ? Have we ever talked? Your dead right.... Either your the kind of person that doesn't care or you logged 185whp and don't want a certain type the trolls these forums to belittle your findings or numbers.

dyn085

2000 Post Club
Rep added.

I would probably also add that some may be due to lack of knowledge/experience and a bit of intimidation. For those getting started, there's a lot to learn about both what gets logged and the information presented. I think that if more users spent a little time getting familiar with it that there would be more to share. The FoST community has logs upon logs of info, but a lot of that community has more money/experience with vehicular tuning and data-collection.

My free time is spent reading about car parts far more than I get to actually drive my Fist, let alone try to catch the same stretch of road to test a gain/loss. The reviews on forums steer my decisions, but it's up to me to decide if the mod is worth it. Modding cars is almost entirely emotional. Hell no it doesn't make sense to do all of the things we do to our cars, but it's fun. I treat opinions like an average, the extreme positive and extreme negative don't throw off the whole experiment.

Some of the fun & frustration is that every car isn't the same, sometimes you get more out of a part, sometimes less. If everything was the same, how boring would that be?

Question,which may have been covered, but I couldnt find it with a quick search (forgive me if it has, it's been a long day lol).
Why is the Mountune intercooler warranty friendly, but the intercooler hose/pipe set not?
I'm trying to decide between the full cobb kit, or the full mountune kit. The mountune complete intercooler kit for $899 is what I'm leaning towards. Input? Thanks! [wrenchin]

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Question,which may have been covered, but I couldnt find it with a quick search (forgive me if it has, it's been a long day lol).
Why is the Mountune intercooler warranty friendly, but the intercooler hose/pipe set not?
I'm trying to decide between the full cobb kit, or the full mountune kit. The mountune complete intercooler kit for $899 is what I'm leaning towards. Input? Thanks! [wrenchin]
This is based on reading: Both kits are excellent, both fit the FiST with zero modification meaning it can be reverted easily. After that it is personal preference. Cobb is slightly larger on paper, Mountune is warranty friendly (can even purchase through Ford Racing). I would almost say flip a coin.

This is based on reading: Both kits are excellent, both fit the FiST with zero modification meaning it can be reverted easily. After that it is personal preference. Cobb is slightly larger on paper, Mountune is warranty friendly (can even purchase through Ford Racing). I would almost say flip a coin.
Thanks for the quick response! You wouldn't happen to know by chance why the charge pipe kit isn't warranty friendly as well would you? When I was doing some runs at the dragon on a hot and humid day, my IAT was climbing higher than I expected.

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Mountune is warranty friendly because they payed for it to be.

I realize that much, which is why that wasn't my question. My question was why is their intercooler warranty friendly, but their charge pipes aren't...

I realize that much, which is why that wasn't my question. My question was why is their intercooler warranty friendly, but their charge pipes aren't. I'm not wondering why Mountune products are warranty friendly, but Cobb isn't.