Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

COBB AP Mounts, lets see them

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
I dont know how cold your area gets but I have two of those mounts from advanced auto on my windows since day one with a little spit applied and the never fell off.
That's how I applied mine too and the other day the damn thing fell off, again. Don't know what I'm doing wrong. I want one for the center dash area anyway; I like having it there rather than to my left of the steering wheel.

AzNightmare

Sorry for bump, but I just bought my AP recently. After looking at a bunch of AP mounting positions for inspiration, I ended up trying this instead.
Very simple, and haven't seen any one else do it yet.

IMO, the most intuitive method as it makes it seem like it's part of your cluster.
No mounts required, I just lowered my steering column, placed the AP in that spot, and then tilted up the steering column until it "clamps" the AP in place.

Sure, you'll loose out on some info like your fuel tank and mileage, but that's not really info you need to keep a constant watch during your drive.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Sorry for bump, but I just bought my AP recently. After looking at a bunch of AP mounting positions for inspiration, I ended up trying this instead.

IMO, the most intuitive method as it makes it seem like it's part of your cluster.
No mounts required, I just lowered my steering column, placed the AP in that spot, and then tilted up the steering column until it "clamps" the AP in place.

Sure, you'll loose out on some info like your fuel tank and mileage, but that's not really info you need to keep a constant watch during your drive.
So you utilized no mount? Hmm if that's the case I will have to try this also just for shits....I've been scouring all over for a mount that seems nice with no luck! I will try this and keep others posted....

FistSt215

I do the same thing wrap the cord around the steering column . I just suck it up and shout the 60 something dollars for Cobb mount on the pillar .

iso100

1000 Post Club

I like the idea that it's part of the cluster but I can only imagine the damage that's doing to your AP cable being jammed sideways like that...

AzNightmare

I like the idea that it's part of the cluster but I can only imagine the damage that's doing to your AP cable being jammed sideways like that...
I think it should be okay since all the pressure is on the strain relief at the end of the plug.

haste

1000 Post Club
Plus, you lose the adjustability of the steering wheel being it has to be in one position to keep the AP secure. I also like to keep my dash lights as low as possible for nighttime driving and having the AP glaring at my face would drive me crazy.

AzNightmare

Plus, you lose the adjustability of the steering wheel being it has to be in one position to keep the AP secure. I also like to keep my dash lights as low as possible for nighttime driving and having the AP glaring at my face would drive me crazy.
I guess it's not for everyone. I don't share my car so I technically never need to adjust my seats or my steering wheel or anything since the day I bought my car.
I find the lights not any more intrusive than the cluster that's already in front of your face. But I would assume the AP is even plugged in in the first because you want to be able to see your gauges. Now I guess if you're just plugging the AP in for data logging, that's a different story. I would probably just tuck it in that little opening directly under the steering wheel column so it's tidy and out of the way. lol

I personally couldn't use the AP when it's off to one side, where you'll have to turn your head to actually see it. Reminds me of the Mini Cooper interior that had the speedometer right in the dead center of the dashboard. But everyone has their preferences. lol

Just sharing a new one out there! [:)]

haste

1000 Post Club
I guess it's not for everyone. I don't share my car so I technically never need to adjust my seats or my steering wheel or anything since the day I bought my car.
I find the lights not any more intrusive than the cluster that's already in front of your face. But I would assume the AP is even plugged in in the first because you want to be able to see your gauges. Now I guess if you're just plugging the AP in for data logging, that's a different story. I would probably just tuck it in that little opening directly under the steering wheel column so it's tidy and out of the way. lol

I personally couldn't use the AP when it's off to one side, where you'll have to turn your head to actually see it. Reminds me of the Mini Cooper interior that had the speedometer right in the dead center of the dashboard. But everyone has their preferences. lol

Just sharing a new one out there! [:)]
Yeah, I get you. The AP isn't something I care to look at the majority of the time so glancing at it for me is ok.

WeTheNorth

1000 Post Club

I know someone that has done the exact same thing, what a coincidence!

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Just bought a magnetic cell phone holder from Vatozone. For about $12. It fits into/around the air vent fins in the dash. then it just sucks the AP to it via magnet. Priceless....holds it very firmly and it was cheap.Ill have a pic up soon to show its simplicity.[werd]

Here is the first shot....

It's goes right onto the vent fins....

Here it is in the vent.....

Here is the AP connected.....it's magnatized just like the AP.... it doesn't fall off either....it's a strong magnet...

I need a huge favor... can someone with the AP a pillar mount measure the bolt holes for me within the next 3 hours? I want to make an adapter plate to space it forward a few mm so the cable doesnt hit the vent resulting in a stupid angle that prevents reading in bright sunlight???

basically if someone has the swivel adapter that goes in with 4 screw into the a pillar mount would be perfect to have the measurement of the perimeter then the screw hole spacing... if anyone can help i'd deeply appreciate it, i have access to some materials in the fab shop at work today and would like to get a spacer made asap. i promise i will post pics!

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Just do like I did in the above picture....so much easier....cleaner and no modding or dicking around. The power cord can be routed through the opening below the steering column panel/knee bolster and plugged in. Just food for thought!

I found this as Oreilly's Auto parts for $12 and it works pretty good. When your driving it's in the perfect position for me at least.

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk