Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Wilwood Rear Brakes?

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I'm considering a Wilwood rear BBK but am concerned that the e-brake isn't a true e-brake. I've read Wilwood's description of the caliper and it seems that you have to engage it with the pedal and the e-brake lever just locks the pads in place without adding any clamping force. If this is true then I can't use theses on a street-driven car in Pennsylvania as the e-brake must operate independently from the hydraulic system.

Does anyone have a set and can confirm?

Thx!

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
What's wrong with the stock brakes?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

OP
J

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #3
What's wrong with the stock brakes?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
I've got the BBK up front and the resulting balance is horrible. Finding the brackets to use larger Ford brakes in the back doesn't look promising.

I have wilwood front and rear. It works as a stock replacement, I had to fiddle with cable length because of the location of the bracket but its fine.

OP
J

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #5
I have wilwood front and rear. It works as a stock replacement, I had to fiddle with cable length because of the location of the bracket but its fine.
Thanks for the info. Were you able to use the stock e-brake cable?

Siestarider

I've got the BBK up front and the resulting balance is horrible. Finding the brackets to use larger Ford brakes in the back doesn't look promising.
I have the same experience, seems rears are not doing their part with WW BBK on front. Forgive my ignorance of ABS, but if one were to invoke ABS a few times, could our cars "learn" to adjust brake bias so that rears do more?

Nah, not really. What you would need would be a brake bias adjuster, since the piston size and pad surface area for the front size probably far exceeds the rear, making the fronts lock up sooner. ABS just helps after the wheels lock up. You need something to prevent the wheels from locking unevenly. You could probably compensate to a small degree with some pretty aggressive pads out back. This is a pretty common Miata technique.

Siestarider

Nah, not really. What you would need would be a brake bias adjuster, since the piston size and pad surface area for the front size probably far exceeds the rear, making the fronts lock up sooner. ABS just helps after the wheels lock up. You need something to prevent the wheels from locking unevenly. You could probably compensate to a small degree with some pretty aggressive pads out back. This is a pretty common Miata technique.
I found a good article on the Stop Tech site about brake bias. Best I can surmise, our ABS can adjust front/rear and side to side bias within limits to compensate for all kinds of things. However, it is more effective if the downstream devices are proportional to stock, ie with larger front rotors place to start is calculating caliper piston area, pad area, and rotor torque on WW set, compare to stock, then increase rear brake torque proportionally if necessary. ABS will handle small differences.