Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Molten Orange paint chips

Hey Guys,

So as things tend to happen, I have acquired quite a few paint chips in my front end, but the problem is, I have molten orange as my color, and that seems like it would be a hard paint color to fix, so I was wondering if anybody has found a good way of fixing paint chips in Molten Orange? is there a fix-it-stick of sorts, or does the ford dealer do any kind of fixes? It is a 2016.

thanks

I feel your pain, but have managed to find a decent solution. I initially wanted to just order a paint chip kit like Langka, Dr.Colorchip or Chipfixx but they all had disclaimers about color matching tri coats as kind of hit and miss. So i decided to just get a paint pen right from Ford to guarantee a color match. Basically, in order to blend the new paint into the existing OEM paint you need a 'leveling solution' that flattens out the paint in the chip but does not disturb the OEM clear coat. I came across a DIY guide on how to make a leveling solution, and its super simple. Mix 3 parts of this with 7 parts of micro polish (30/70 mixture). You can use any mixture you want but using some micro polish to cut the brush cleaner is probably a good idea so you're not stripping all the paint out.

So get a paint pen from Ford for a guaranteed color match, fill in your chips, and then use the leveling solution to flatten it out. Using a T-shirt over a straight edge like a credit card works well to get it nice and level.

Business6

I feel your pain, but have managed to find a decent solution. I initially wanted to just order a paint chip kit like Langka, Dr.Colorchip or Chipfixx but they all had disclaimers about color matching tri coats as kind of hit and miss. So i decided to just get a paint pen right from Ford to guarantee a color match. Basically, in order to blend the new paint into the existing OEM paint you need a 'leveling solution' that flattens out the paint in the chip but does not disturb the OEM clear coat. I came across a DIY guide on how to make a leveling solution, and its super simple. Mix 3 parts of this with 7 parts of micro polish (30/70 mixture). You can use any mixture you want but using some micro polish to cut the brush cleaner is probably a good idea so you're not stripping all the paint out.

So get a paint pen from Ford for a guaranteed color match, fill in your chips, and then use the leveling solution to flatten it out. Using a T-shirt over a straight edge like a credit card works well to get it nice and level.
I'll be sure to add that to my wishlist so I don't forget it. Thanks for the info!

CSM

1000 Post Club
Bringing this back from dead. I've got a '14 Molten Orange with TONS of rock chips. Got the Dr. Colorchip kit for Molten Orange this week and the paint is a very good match. Chips are much less noticeable although I need to do more work to "level" the chips.

TLDR: If you have a molten orange w/ rock chips try out the Dr. Colorchip kit. Easy to use and got me good results. I'll post photos later this week when I'm back from work travel