Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

14’ Tuxedo Black | TURDBO BUILD

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Fluid Film will be your best friend - shoot that sheep grease everywhere! Just keeps the water off the metal so that rust doesn't propagate.
^^^THAT, plus maybe consider power washing the salt soup off on any NON 'salt soup' dry days above 33*F (IF you get any of those!) you have the chance.

POR-15 even before any Fluid Film applications will also slow down the creeping corrosion. [wink]

OP
xxiaze

xxiaze

Thread Starter #182
Fluid Film will be your best friend - shoot that sheep grease everywhere! Just keeps the water off the metal so that rust doesn't propagate.
Do I need to treat with anything before hand? What’s the best permanent solution? That por15 stuff? I will not be driving it during winters anymore. Moving into restoring it etc etc

OP
xxiaze

xxiaze

Thread Starter #183
^^^THAT, plus maybe consider power washing the salt soup off on any NON 'salt soup' dry days above 33*F (IF you get any of those!) you have the chance.

POR-15 even before any Fluid Film applications will also slow down the creeping corrosion. [wink]
I didn’t see this! I think this sounds proper and nice. I’ll look into the double application.

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
Do I need to treat with anything before hand? What’s the best permanent solution? That por15 stuff? I will not be driving it during winters anymore. Moving into restoring it etc etc
Yep - POR-15 and then Fluid Film is my go to for keeping rust at bay.

Lots of prep for POR-15 though, for the areas you can't reach, shoot Fluid Film inside and it will 'attach' to the metal and won't allow the water to ever touch it (can't cause rust).

Last edited:

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
I’ll hit it with wd40 for this winters storage until next spring
WD-40 will displace the water once, but not stick to the surface like Fluid Film. The viscosity is too low and it runs off with gravity - Fluid Film does as its name suggests, leaves a film of fluid on any surface. I love the stuff but fuckin' hate it too - end up sooooo gross after wrenching on the underside of my 4Runner.

OP
xxiaze

xxiaze

Thread Starter #187
Yep - POR-15 and then Fluid Film is my go to for keeping rust at bay.

Lots of prep for POR-15 though, for the areas you can't reach, shoot Fluid Film inside and it will 'attach' to the metal and won't allow the water to never touch it (can't cause rust).
Should I just invest in the whole POR product group for prep for etc? I think they have the cleaner and then etcher + the POR15. Do you use the spray can of the POR or the can and a roller or something? I see they make a thinner for like a spray gun, but I feel like it would be best to apply with a brush or roller because I’ll be doing it with everything still installed on the vehicle. Less mess or overspray I would think. Better yet, would you mind sending me a link(s) to the product(s). It seems like there are multiple options...

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
Should I just invest in the whole POR product group for prep for etc? I think they have the cleaner and then etcher + the POR15. Do you use the spray can of the POR or the can and a roller or something? I see they make a thinner for like a spray gun, but I feel like it would be best to apply with a brush or roller because I’ll be doing it with everything still installed on the vehicle. Less mess or overspray I would think. Better yet, would you mind sending me a link(s) to the product(s). It seems like there are multiple options...
Yes, use POR-15's prep products as I've had the best results with their prep and then application.

I use a paint brush whenever I have to apply POR-15 - and make sure they're cheap brushes as they're one use items. The stuff DOES NOT COME OFF SKIN so you best wear a set of clothes you don't particularly like and make sure you're covered up as best you can. Using a scouring pad to scrub the shit off is not enjoyable.

OP
xxiaze

xxiaze

Thread Starter #191
Yes, use POR-15's prep products as I've had the best results with their prep and then application.

I use a paint brush whenever I have to apply POR-15 - and make sure they're cheap brushes as they're one use items. The stuff DOES NOT COME OFF SKIN so you best wear a set of clothes you don't particularly like and make sure you're covered up as best you can. Using a scouring pad to scrub the shit off is not enjoyable.
Righto I’ll grab the 3 pack then and attack it that way. Should 1quart be sufficient for a double coat on all parts underneath? Also, for the fluid film should I grab a gallon or just a couple spray cans or what? Not sure how the gallon can would hold up... if it stores FOREVER I might just buy that and paint it on as well?? Or are the spray cans best?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Righto I’ll grab the 3 pack then and attack it that way. Should 1quart be sufficient for a double coat on all parts underneath? Also, for the fluid film should I grab a gallon or just a couple spray cans or what? Not sure how the gallon can would hold up... if it stores FOREVER I might just buy that and paint it on as well?? Or are the spray cans best?
Spray cans * easier to apply with the aerosol can than paint brush.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

OP
xxiaze

xxiaze

Thread Starter #193
Concluded products as follows: (please advise!)

POR-15 45404 Rust Protection Paint SemiGloss Black Kit + Metal Prep + Degreaser Kit:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XFJBJPZ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_0TgpFbCGN01XE

Fluid Film 1 Gallon Can Rust Inhibitor:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004NDDCKK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_GUgpFbMM5914B

TCP Global Air Rust Proofing and Undercoating Gun with Gauge & Suction Feed Cup:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QR18BT7/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_WVgpFb68VPWMG

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
The stuff DOES NOT COME OFF SKIN so you best wear a set of clothes you don't particularly like and make sure you're covered up as best you can. Using a scouring pad to scrub the shit off is not enjoyable.
I can testify to this, as I have a pair of And 1 shorts I got some of the final coat stuff on, over 10 YEARS AGO, and after a hundred hot washes, this stuff is STILL on them!!
I got some on the driveway at the same time, and it is STILL there after 10 years of weather!!
To get it off my skin, I had to use one of those 3M 'scrounges', and scrub to the point of my skin bleeding to even make a dent in it!! [crazyeye]

OP
xxiaze

xxiaze

Thread Starter #195
I can testify to this, as I have a pair of And 1 shorts I got some of the final coat stuff on, over 10 YEARS AGO, and after a hundred hot washes, this stuff is STILL on them!!
I got some on the driveway at the same time, and it is STILL there after 10 years of weather!!
To get it off my skin, I had to use one of those 3M 'scrounges', and scrub to the point of my skin bleeding to even make a dent in it!! [crazyeye]
That sounds awful and incredible all at once!

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
You can cover a lot with a quart - I recommend buying multiple smaller cans as it's a bit tricky to store the POR-15 as it develops a skin if exposed to air and goes rock hard after.

Fluid Film is a bit tricky - I went all out (3 vehicles of my own plus family) and buy 5G pails of the stuff - I think 1 gallon would do the Fiesta pretty well - I have to re-do my car soon too. Gotta hit the doors where the metal curls over as I just knocked off some rust from that area. If you can afford the Fluid Film air sprayer (and you have a compressor) I would recommend it - just easier than using a brush and more cost effective than the cans. Being able to aerosolize it is best to ensure full coverage.

Can confirm - it stores FOREVER - it's just sheep grease (lanolin).

OP
xxiaze

xxiaze

Thread Starter #197
You can cover a lot with a quart - I recommend buying multiple smaller cans as it's a bit tricky to store the POR-15 as it develops a skin if exposed to air and goes rock hard after.

Fluid Film is a bit tricky - I went all out (3 vehicles of my own plus family) and buy 5G pails of the stuff - I think 1 gallon would do the Fiesta pretty well - I have to re-do my car soon too. Gotta hit the doors where the metal curls over as I just knocked off some rust from that area. If you can afford the Fluid Film air sprayer (and you have a compressor) I would recommend it - just easier than using a brush and more cost effective than the cans. Being able to aerosolize it is best to ensure full coverage.

Can confirm - it stores FOREVER - it's just sheep grease (lanolin).
Is a quart usable in the amount of time to do the car or do you think it would harden before finished? Sounds like I should just buy a 6 pack of small boys or whatever then. Not sure if a 6er would get the car done though. Those cans seem awfully small

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
Is a quart usable in the amount of time to do the car or do you think it would harden before finished? Sounds like I should just buy a 6 pack of small boys or whatever then. Not sure if a 6er would get the car done though. Those cans seem awfully small
The trick is sealing the can properly - if you can wield a mallet I bet you can get the can to seal, the problem is that if it isn't 100% sealed, the air reacts with the POR-15 and now you've got a useless can. Just making sure if that happens, it only happens to less than a quart! Buying a big can and having this happens sucks.... the shit isn't cheap.

OP
xxiaze

xxiaze

Thread Starter #199
The trick is sealing the can properly - if you can wield a mallet I bet you can get the can to seal, the problem is that if it isn't 100% sealed, the air reacts with the POR-15 and now you've got a useless can. Just making sure if that happens, it only happens to less than a quart! Buying a big can and having this happens sucks.... the shit isn't cheap.
Okay for sure, maybe I’ll buy the bigger can and pour it into a usable measured painters cup. Clean the lip and rubber mallet it back on for next use... maybe throw plastic wrap between the lid for a seal?

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
Okay for sure, maybe I’ll buy the bigger can and pour it into a usable measured painters cup. Clean the lip and rubber mallet it back on for next use... maybe throw plastic wrap between the lid for a seal?
Speed Academy on Youtube tried the plastic wrap and it failed and left them with a ruined can - I've had luck using the POR-15 that slopped on the rim as a sealant and mallet'd the lid down tight and it was fine.

Just a heads up is all - I'm sure you'll be fine if you're aware it can be an issue.