Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Taking a Leap - Resonator Delete

So, I have been itching to do some work on my car. Not just change the oil, but real work. So, I decided I'm going to do a resonator delete. I have looked up videos on YouTube and seen tons of people that have done it on the FoST, but haven't found any exclusive res deletes on the FiST. I'm going to be launching into the project Saturday morning with the help of a buddy that has done this before on his previous Mini and has had it done professionally on his current FoST. I'll post an update with pics and audio when it's done if anyone is interested. Wish me luck.[crazyeye]

rooSTer

1000 Post Club
I would like to see this too...maybe it will sound better than the muffler delete.

airjor13

2000 Post Club
I think you will enjoy it. I am running cat-less DP with non-res FSWERKS TBE, it is very mellow around town very livable.

stuntdoogie

2000 Post Club
So, I have been itching to do some work on my car. Not just change the oil, but real work. So, I decided I'm going to do a resonator delete. I have looked up videos on YouTube and seen tons of people that have done it on the FoST, but haven't found any exclusive res deletes on the FiST. I'm going to be launching into the project Saturday morning with the help of a buddy that has done this before on his previous Mini and has had it done professionally on his current FoST. I'll post an update with pics and audio when it's done if anyone is interested. Wish me luck.[crazyeye]
So did you do it?

OP
G
Thread Starter #8
I did do it.. it was a pain in the ass and took all day, but it sounds fantastic. It's so bassy and bubbles a lot. I will post a video soon.

stuntdoogie

2000 Post Club
I did do it.. it was a pain in the ass and took all day, but it sounds fantastic. It's so bassy and bubbles a lot. I will post a video soon.
You did it yourself?
Waiting to hear it. I would like to hear how it sounds from the outside, dont put the camera too close to the muffler to get a clear sound.

iso100

1000 Post Club
Yes! I love the angry burbling sound. Would love to do this myself.

iso100

1000 Post Club
Is the factory exhaust aluminized tubing or is it stainless?

iso100

1000 Post Club
That's good to know. 2.25"? A section of straight pipe and two band clamps would do it.

OP
G
Thread Starter #16
It is metric. It's 55mm. That's one of the things that made it a challenge. That and the fact that the exhaust has bends before and after the resonator. I basically had to cut right up against the welds to give myself the room to fit the pipe into/over the remaining exhaust pipe. It was a lot more difficult than I expected, and still isn't perfect. I have to make a small tweak to one of the exhaust hangers to try and get my tips to sit even because I was a dope and wasn't paying attention to that when I tightened everything down and sealed it up. I will post before/after clips as soon as I can edit them into one video. Overall material cost (not including the reciprocating saw) was $17. It took us several trips to OReilleys and Harbor Freight and a total of 6 hours. It would've been less, but my jack decided to take a shit on me and the 2" pipe I originally bought wouldnt work because of flares on the ends.

iso100

1000 Post Club
Damn. I was hoping it would be easy to do and easily reversible. That's disappointing.

Glad you got it worked out. Can't wait to hear it under load and the off throttle burbling.

iso100

1000 Post Club
That sounds nice! Where did you find the metric piping?

OP
G
Thread Starter #20
Well, it isn't "metric piping", it's just 2.25" piping with an adapter at the downpipe and the flared end slides over the south end (exhaust closer to the muffler). I used exhaust sealant on the inside and outside of each seal as well as an exhaust clamp on each end.