Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Switchback LED Turn Signals

Well 2 days in and drive side LED goes out. Hopefully Diode Dynamics sends out a replacement today.

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Am I the only person that likes the hyper flash? I find it gets more attention than a slow flash.

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
I also decided to not add resistors to my switchbacks. The resistors get hot and should be attached to a heat sink to dissipate the high temperature they generate. Lots of hassle for very little benefit.

I know others have commented that if you splice the resistors into the rear and install all four turns (2 front 2 rear) then that fixes all from hyperblink

So I installed front LEDs and resistors on the front today.

If I install rear LEDs later...will the resistors in the front satisfy the rears?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

brbauer2

IGNORE

Did some searching and found this thread with the answer. Looks like I'm getting 6ohm 50w on all 4 corners.

Reviving an oldish thread.

Installed LED directions front and back today. I tapped the rear Orange to Black with a 3ohm 50w resistor and it was still hyper flashing. Resistor was getting warm and the bulb still worked so it made a good/clean connection.

IGNORE

Did some searching and found this thread with the answer. Looks like I'm getting 6ohm 50w on all 4 corners.

Reviving an oldish thread.

Installed LED directions front and back today. I tapped the rear Orange to Black with a 3ohm 50w resistor and it was still hyper flashing. Resistor was getting warm and the bulb still worked so it made a good/clean connection.
Just a heads up. When I was originally putting everything in, I had ordered a cheap set of bulbs for up front. Of course, one didn't work. The resistors were already in, but I just put the OEM bulbs back in while I ordered new ones.

Don't do this!!! I overloaded the circuit and melted the insulation off part of the wiring harness. It then grounded out and killed all the lighting on the right side of my car. Thankfully a new rear harness was only 8 bucks, but it could've been much worse.

brbauer2

Thanks for the heads up! That's definitely an electrical no-no. Glad it was a relatively easy and cheap fix.

Had to return the bulbs I bought for the brake lights and front directionals. They worked great and looked amazing...when the car was not running. As soon as the car was started they would flicker like crazy when the parking lights were on.

Luckily I dug around and found an old set of switchbacks for the front and a set for the brakes that were in a box in the basement. Not as bright but they don't flicker.

Just a heads up. When I was originally putting everything in, I had ordered a cheap set of bulbs for up front. Of course, one didn't work. The resistors were already in, but I just put the OEM bulbs back in while I ordered new ones.

Don't do this!!! I overloaded the circuit and melted the insulation off part of the wiring harness. It then grounded out and killed all the lighting on the right side of my car. Thankfully a new rear harness was only 8 bucks, but it could've been much worse.

Thanks for the heads up! That's definitely an electrical no-no. Glad it was a relatively easy and cheap fix.

Had to return the bulbs I bought for the brake lights and front directionals. They worked great and looked amazing...when the car was not running. As soon as the car was started they would flicker like crazy when the parking lights were on.

Luckily I dug around and found an old set of switchbacks for the front and a set for the brakes that were in a box in the basement. Not as bright but they don't flicker.
It's a little more embarrassing when I admit I'm an electrical engineer and play with this stuff for a living. It was a frustrating day that brought out the stupid in me. Lol!

danbfree

3000 Post Club
OK, reviving an old thread here, as things are much different now and you can just use an EP27 flasher module instead of wiring in resistors... Also, if doing the switchbacks in the headlight, does this mean you have to use 2 amber non-switchback LED's in the headlight back side and the rear too?

Edit: Sounds like you can mix and match LED and regular flasher bulbs using the flasher module, I think I'll give the module with 2 switchback bulbs for DRL's and use ForScan to change it so parking lights/blinker is what is always on for DRL's.

OK, reviving an old thread here, as things are much different now and you can just use an EP27 flasher module instead of wiring in resistors...
Whoah whoah. Where did you find this info? I've been waiting for someone to find a flasher relay that works in place of the resistors.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Whoah whoah. Where did you find this info? I've been waiting for someone to find a flasher relay that works in place of the resistors.
I believe it was an Amazon review for the switchback bulbs I was looking at, someone also with a Fiesta mentioning they used the flasher relay instead of resistors and mentioned which one it is, EP27... There are a bunch of options on Amazon and eBay starting at only a few bucks each... I'm kind of surprised actually, that this info isn't more well known, I think these have been out for a while...

Edit: Sigh... now not even sure our car uses a flasher relay, WTH... trying to figure this out still.

Last edited:
I'm just as surprised as you are about this. I know on my Genesis Coupe I just plugged a flasher module in under the steering wheel and and the hyperblink was gone.

brbauer2

No flasher relay on the Fiesta. Controlled by the BCM. Should be able to change a value with FORScan like other Ford vehicles, but haven't seen anyone do it.

Sent from my OnePlus 6T using Tapatalk

danbfree

3000 Post Club
No flasher relay on the Fiesta. Controlled by the BCM. Should be able to change a value with FORScan like other Ford vehicles, but haven't seen anyone do it.

Ok, sweet, I had just researched values to try with ForScan and I think there are some to try for this. It mentions LED DRL's but they may just turn them on while in any non headlight in mode as a DRL and not handle the resistance properly still. On the other hand, may just have to try it and see if it's an option even enabled in our BCM at all.

brbauer2

Ok, sweet, I had just researched values to try with ForScan and I think there are some to try for this. It mentions LED DRL's but they may just turn them on while in any non headlight in mode as a DRL and not handle the resistance properly still. On the other hand, may just have to try it and see if it's an option even enabled in our BCM at all.
I know we don't have the module that most other Ford's have that controls number of directional blinks. I would love to have 5, or even 7 blinks with a tap instead of the 3 we have.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I know we don't have the module that most other Ford's have that controls number of directional blinks. I would love to have 5, or even 7 blinks with a tap instead of the 3 we have.
Interesting, as I thought that was a given to be able to adjust, my last Kia had that right in the car options to change... so yeah, that's not a good sign that a ForScan switch would work.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Alrighty folks, I'm sorry if I got everyone excited about a potential flasher relay but have been unable to find my source info for that EP27 5 way multi relay working on Fiesta, so I'm going to look at going with the switchbacks with resistors already built in... Has anyone bought any like this recently and they also blink from amber-OFF, amber-OFF instead of amber-white, amber-white while the turn signal is on? Also, I am a huge proponent of auto headlights and also handy enough with the computer and ForScan to perhaps try some of the settings to see if changing the DRL settings will allow them to come on like they would with the switch in parking light mode while switch is in auto mode...

Nick the Car Guy on YouTube has a video of changing the turn signal tap count on a Fusion using FORScan. I've not dug far enough into FORScan to try it myself but would like to change it up on my FoRS and my FiST. Three flashes does not seem like enough.
As for switchbacks, I have used VLEDs Triton bulbs. They are not cheap but they are by far the brightest I've seen and are of very good quality. They also come with an inline resistor. I had amber/white switchbacks on the front of my 2013 CR-Z and they were great. My 2016 FoRS has VLEDs V3 Triton front and rear turn signals and V6 Triton brake lights. I've not yet begun my LED craze on the new FiST.

https://www.vleds.com/shop-products/v6-triton.html