Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Honest review X47 turbo

I suppose I'd break it down into two categories - there is a list of stuff you definitely need, and a second list of stuff that's optional but probably needed if you want to maximize the upgrade. I think 80-90% of the power gain could be achieved without the second list for about half the total money spent. In my case I'd already bought most of the stuff in list two (optional) long before I decided to upgrade the turbo, so it didn't matter.

DEFINITELY NEED
$403 Cobb AP/RMM, used
$385 Cobb FMIC, used
$325 Tune + lifetime tune
$280 Cobb DP, used
$900 X47/elbow, used 2,000 miles
$68 Ford gaskets/studs/nuts/etc. all new
$2,361 TOTAL

So in my case I saved a good bit of money on the above seeing that it was used. Labor cost nothing as I did everything myself except the turbo swap, and a friend led the way there.

POSSIBLY OPTIONAL
$370 CP-E CAI, new
$628 Mountune exhaust, new
$36 exhaust hangers Cobb, new
$140 Tune + WGA, new
$150 Big mouth snorkel, new
$200 ported manifold, used
$44 plugs, new
$133 GFB DV+, new
$1,701 TOTAL

So roughly $4000 total spent here with many used parts, no install costs, and some stuff that really wasn't necessary for the upgrade.
I totally see this list happening, I kinda agree some of these items you'll just end up buyin on the way anyway. So that's not bad at all. Like currently for me I have like half of what's on each list and I think I only spend like a total of $600, used of course. So kudos, I'm currently looking at the C39 upgraded.

Point being, people shouldn't be afraid of used parts, takes a bit of the guild dropping so much cash on our hobbies, that much more bareable.

Just out of curiosity, did you just buy X47 letters somewhere and slap those on? Thinking of doing the same to mine, I enjoy the look.

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #23
Just out of curiosity, did you just buy X47 letters somewhere and slap those on? Thinking of doing the same to mine, I enjoy the look.
I bought a set from an eBay vendor in Thailand that I've used for other cars, I really like the font, you just choose whatever letters/numbers you want. They took about a month to arrive which is standard. Then I went to buy a second set for the engine cover but the vendor no longer offered that font, so I found a different font. I painted both grey to match other stuff on my car of the same color.

Here's the look I ended up going with:

Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki

Like I said the font I used for the exterior/rear isn't available any more, but the other one I used for the engine cover can be found here.

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #25
UPDATE on Jeff's honest review...

I've been enjoying the X47 and also have befriended 2 other X47 owners via phone/text/in person and discussed results, along with reading a good bit online. 3 thoughts:

1, REDLINE
It occurs to me my max hp numbers according to Vdyno happen right at redline. The question is, is there more power if I raised my redline? If max power is happening there, theoretically if there's more power beyond 6500 rpms (my cutoff) it can be had by raising the redline/cutoff. Hmmm.......waiting to hear from my tuner about this. Curious if other X47 owners had the redline raised or kept it at factory present. Does the AP allow for that? I don't recall that it does...

2, PSI
I've compared some results from various stuff online and noticed that some X47 owners who are at 26, 27 or higher psi have more hp/torque than others. Now, I specifically asked my tuner Adam to keep mine at the Pumaspeed recommended 25.4 which he did. My point is that variations in results could be because of this. Of course a higher psi allowance through tuning will produce more, but is it safe? Just a thought. Point being that it's possible that a discrepancy lies in that variable, which could easily be changed through tuning if one wanted more power at the expense of reliability.

3, TIRES and TRACTION
New tires added a few weeks ago are allowing nearly full traction with all TC turned off! YAHOO!!!

Car is running SUPER AWESOME!

1. Redline - I seem to notice power right up there too. Messing with vdyno it seems a higher redline would be beneficial, but I'm running out of fuel so Adam didn't feel safe raising it from stock. I'm debating some kind of aux fuel. It seems 7000rpm is regarded as safe and people are going higher than that even.

3. Psi -. I'm right around 26psi all the way to redline. It feels pretty good there. I'm sure more psi is fine for the engine, but might but a strain on the turbo. Wonder if it might be worth a high boost map for 1/4 mi or fun on the street and a 25-26 one for daily or track.

3. Tires....I have the Indy 500s and it needs 3rd for traction. Unless the road is shitty then in struggles doing a 3rd gear pull too lol.

I've read this thread twice with great interest. Initially I was going with the x-37. I thought the -x47 would be overkill for what I was looking for.
I'm old (62) and don't rev to redline much anymore. 6K is probably enough for me to have fun with, not get into trouble, and not blow it up.
I'm stuck in Cali with 91, and I really don't want to go e30. I just want to gas and go.
One of the benefits I thought of going with the 37 was, that it was more in line with keeping with the original driving experience, but enhanced.
Now, I'm second guessing myself. Since I'm handicapping myself with 91, is it safe to assume that the x-47 won't be quite as radical?
Would it be more like the x-37 with better fuel?

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #29
1. Redline - I seem to notice power right up there too. Messing with vdyno it seems a higher redline would be beneficial, but I'm running out of fuel so Adam didn't feel safe raising it from stock. I'm debating some kind of aux fuel. It seems 7000rpm is regarded as safe and people are going higher than that even.

3. Psi -. I'm right around 26psi all the way to redline. It feels pretty good there. I'm sure more psi is fine for the engine, but might but a strain on the turbo. Wonder if it might be worth a high boost map for 1/4 mi or fun on the street and a 25-26 one for daily or track.

3. Tires....I have the Indy 500s and it needs 3rd for traction. Unless the road is shitty then in struggles doing a 3rd gear pull too lol.
Adam told me that peak HP with the X47 happens around 6,000 so a higher redline isn't beneficial in that sense. I did however get mine raised from 6,500 to 7,000 which from what I understand is his default with X47s though somehow mine didn't get the bump initially, but it's been adjusted now. But don't quote me on that, I asked him about it and the answer was never clear to me. I did one datalog to 7,000 rpms and peak HP came at 6,100. Yeah I think you're right, it's not about the engine it's about the turbo. I know a few X47 guys who do have a higher boost map for track use but that's playing with fire IMHO. Puma says 25.4 so it's 25.4 for me.

I've read this thread twice with great interest. Initially I was going with the x-37. I thought the -x47 would be overkill for what I was looking for.
I'm old (62) and don't rev to redline much anymore. 6K is probably enough for me to have fun with, not get into trouble, and not blow it up.
I'm stuck in Cali with 91, and I really don't want to go e30. I just want to gas and go.
One of the benefits I thought of going with the 37 was, that it was more in line with keeping with the original driving experience, but enhanced.
Now, I'm second guessing myself. Since I'm handicapping myself with 91, is it safe to assume that the x-47 won't be quite as radical?
Would it be more like the x-37 with better fuel?
You might check the main X47 thread, I recall reading that 91 made 272hp and 93 made 285hp, both Vdyno. I also recall that somewhere someone said their X47 felt about like their X37 did on e30. So there's probably a 5% bump to be had with the X47 as opposed to the X37, based on that. If it were me since you're not losing power or spool down low with the 47 compared to the 37, and it's only a little more, I'd choose the 47 unless you came across a great deal on 37.

I posted this pic elsewhere but I'm so happy so I'll post it here too; with Cobb's firmware update we have new features including estimated HP. I datalogged the run pictured below and the results on Vdyno were within 3% of the Cobb numbers pictured which is kinda cool.

Hosted on Fotki

haste

1000 Post Club
When are you putting it on the dyno Jeff?
Really? He already said in another thread that YOU created...

http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/...o-plots-graphs?p=255746&viewfull=1#post255746

Having said that I'm going to a real dyno (Topspeed in Atlanta, one of the best) later this fall and will post results. I've only had the X47 on my car for a few months but have been tuning that entire time up until yesterday....but now that I'm done and weather is cooling I'll be having results for you in a month or so.

What is your problem??
Maybe my post didn't read correctly but I was meaning 'when exactly are you putting it on the dyno!' As in, next Tuesday at 1500.
I already knew he was putting it on a dyno soon, I was trying to find out when exactly as I was very interested in the results.

But excuse me for not being more exact/precise, I'll try to do better next time.
It would seem I have joined a forum where there are keyboard warriors just waiting to jump on people for no real reason!
Next time I'll just message Jeff directly so I don't have to read rubbish from you.

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #34
Hey fellas, peace and goodwill to all, the hurricanes seem to be over where I live and the humidity is ebbing and the temps are dropping, I'm hoping to hit the dyno sometime in the next few weeks. The place I trust is 3 hours away so it's a bit of a time investment for me hence the delaying. Depending on how excited I am once I get there I might get a set of 3 runs with and 3 runs without the RG concentrate, maybe some in 3rd and some in 4th gear...not sure really, we'll see how much time I have and how things are going that day. The plan is to also datalog every single dyno run and then compare the real dyno results with Vdyno and also with the Cobb estimate monitors available on the Accessport....I'm really interested to see how close these tools are to a real dyno reading. We'll see, it will depend on how much time I have and how much money I'm willing to spend and what kind of mood we're all in on that day.

In any case, stay tuned, shouldn't be too much longer!!!

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #40
Just fished my tune and all I can say is I love the x47!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Great results thanks for sharing!

Question for you and others....why 28psi? This is not a criticism, but I have noticed several folks on these forums who have posted dynos/vdynos and the boost holds at 27 or 28 psi...Puma explicitly recommends 25.4 as the target boost for the meat of the power band for safety. Believe me I'm tempted to have my tuner put me up there but I want my turbo to last. I imagine that your results are going to be marginally higher than mine or the average X47 that keeps boost in the manufacturers recommended range....especially the torque, which comes in gobs with more boost even if HP doesn't change much. Anyhow I'm curious as to your decision to target 28psi....