Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Ford says Fiesta won't return for 2018

Demand for most sedans and many hatch backs has plummeted. Seems SUV's of all sizes now rule the North American market. I have zero interest in any SUV, but that places me in a minority now. Can't blame Ford, they simply offer what they can sell in a decent volume in a particular market.

I'm not surprised by this, but rather disappointed. The level of ego that most North Americans drive around with is insane. While the rest of the world is pushing the limit of whats possible with 1.0L engines, electrics, hybrids etc, people around here are using their 6.2L diesel as their daily commuter, absurdity. Its such a gross fad....LOOK HOW BIG MY TRUCK IS. I'm triggered just writing this lol..... I would like nothing more than to see insurance companies base their pricing off of engine size. Sorry about this rant......I just can't stand what I see on a daily basis.

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Conflicting Reports

The New Ford Fiesta ST Could Still Come to the US

Ford hasn't yet made any official announcement on whether the next-generation Fiesta will come to the US

Jul 24, 2017 - R&T

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/future-cars/a10350200/2018-ford-fiesta-us/

Ford showed off a new Fiesta last November, but didn't tell us whether or not it was coming to the US. Months later, we still don't know, and with small car sales falling in the US, things are not looking bright for the Fiesta. Reports sourced to Romanian site 0-100.ro emerged this week saying that the new Fiesta won't come to the US, but Ford isn't quite ready to shut the door yet.

0-100.ro spoke with Robert Stiller, a small car manager at Ford Germany, who said that this Fiesta would only be sold in Europe, the Middle East, and Africa.

"In North America—especially in the US—China and Latin America, the demand for such cars is declining, and we are reacting accordingly," he said. Stiller also noted that the Fiesta would be built exclusively in Ford Germany's Köln, plant, and that there wouldn't be a sedan version. The US-market Fiesta is currently built at a plant in Mexico.

When asked for comment, a Ford spokesperson told us that "Fiesta continues to play an important role in our portfolio. We’ll have more to say about Fiesta in markets outside of Europe at a later date."

This is basically what Ford told us when the Fiesta debuted last November. This statement doesn't shut the door on the Fiesta for the US, but it doesn't give us hope either.

It's possible that Ford might have a different version of the Fiesta headed to the US market, but when US buyers are shunning cars in favor of SUVs and crossovers, it's hard to see why it would bother. Later this year, Ford will bring the Fiesta-based EcoSport crossover to the US, and it's easy to imagine it selling better than the Fiesta.

Perhaps there's some hope for the Fiesta ST, though. After all, Ford imports the current Focus RS from Germany, and the outgoing Fiesta ST has sold surprisingly well here. Ford also launched an SUV-esque Fiesta Active (pictured above) in Europe, with a raised ride height and plastic body cladding. Maybe this too could come to the US, though again, this is just speculation.

We're just going to have to wait to learn the Fiesta's US-market fate. Hopefully Ford has some good news soon

I'm not surprised by this, but rather disappointed. The level of ego that most North Americans drive around with is insane. While the rest of the world is pushing the limit of whats possible with 1.0L engines, electrics, hybrids etc, people around here are using their 6.2L diesel as their daily commuter, absurdity. Its such a gross fad....LOOK HOW BIG MY TRUCK IS. I'm triggered just writing this lol..... I would like nothing more than to see insurance companies base their pricing off of engine size. Sorry about this rant......I just can't stand what I see on a daily basis.
Bro truck daily drivers seems to be a pretty common thing in the prairie provinces. Saw it when I lived in Saskatchewan and it's the same thing in Manitoba.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Bro truck daily drivers seems to be a pretty common thing in the prairie provinces. Saw it when I lived in Saskatchewan and it's the same thing in Manitoba.
Down town TOronto where the truck does not fit in the garage and you drive 20 minutes. I know many. I also know MANY that complain in winter that they have no heat. LOL sure your 6.0L will heat up quickly.

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Ford might not offer Fiesta in US in 2018 - AutoBlog

Jul 24th 2017 - AutoBlog

http://www.autoblog.com/2017/07/24/ford-might-not-offer-fiesta-in-us-in-2018/

There's evidence that Ford won't be offering its all-new 2018 Fiesta hatchback for sale in the United States, following domestic consumer preference trends toward trucks and SUVs and away from fuel-efficient small cars.

The website Carscoops reports that Fiesta program manager Robert Stiller told a Romanian automotive website that the new version of the hatchback might not make it to US showrooms.

"The previous model was a global Ford product, and with the new generation we are targeting only Europe, the Middle East and Africa," Stiller told the Romanian site 0-100, as translated by Carscoops. "In North America, especially in the US, China and Latin America, the demand for such cars is declining, and we are reacting accordingly."

Ford sold fewer than 50,000 Fiestas in the U.S last year, down from 70,000 in recent years, Carscoops reports. The current Fiesta was introduced to Americans nearly a decade ago when gas was expensive and many shoppers were looking to downsize. Its sales have plummeted along with the price of fuel.

General Motors, which like other automakers is struggling with growing inventories of unsold small and midsized sedans, is reportedly also considering ending production of six passenger cars in the US after 2020, according to a Reuters report last week citing unnamed sources. Included in the speculation were the Chevrolet Volt hybrid and the Chevy Impala, both made at GM's Hamtramck assembly plant in Detroit

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
It is very sad to see what is playing out. I have spent the last decade working to promote the Fiesta in the US. I started when the Verve concept debuted in Geneva and continued with emails and messages begging for the car. I was part of both Fiesta Movements and continue to be part of the Fiesta community. To see all the hard work come to end is depressing. I have no interest in a crossover, no interest in a truck (unless it is a Raptor), and have very limited interest in non-Ford products.

Truth in Ruin

1000 Post Club
It is very sad to see what is playing out. I have spent the last decade working to promote the Fiesta in the US. I started when the Verve concept debuted in Geneva and continued with emails and messages begging for the car. I was part of both Fiesta Movements and continue to be part of the Fiesta community. To see all the hard work come to end is depressing. I have no interest in a crossover, no interest in a truck (unless it is a Raptor), and have very limited interest in non-Ford products.
I hear ya man; I'm bummed. Aside from the FiST, the 1.0 turbo version is still neat. FoRS is going out the door, too. Good thing you own a FiST, and probably the FoRS later on.

My wife, and I have decided to start looking for another FiST now; His and Hers :)

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
Yeah, the 1.0L with a manual is a brilliant car. My brother has over 80,000 miles on his and it is going great! I am thankful I have my ST and didn't wait and lose out on Performance Blue. I do see a Focus RS in the future for me, but a used on and probably my dad's when he decides to sell it.

I just can't think of another car that is this brilliant to drive, has a massive motorsports history, small, has a manual transmission, and has enough room for RC planes and golf clubs. It just fits everything I want in a car. Oh, did I mention it is affordable? I love the Focus RS, but it is bigger, heavier, aftermarket parts are more expensive, and the car is overall more expensive to buy and operate. I would love an MX-5 hardtop or a Cayman, but neither are good for my other hobbies. The Cayman is also far more expensive, so I would have to get one used.

I like my 6.8 liter V10 F350. But, it's not a daily driver. A Fiesta ST or basic Fiesta are perfect for me in most respects. I have adjusted my needs and expectations for a performance car from V8 Mustang's​ to include the smaller ones like Fist. My biggest issue is that I really like em all!

I have traveled extensively in Spain and Portugal the last 4 years and one of the great things is absolutely no half ton or 3/4 ton trucks. Sure there are some SUV's, and utility type trucks, but predominantly smaller cars and hatch backs and virtually all with standard transmissions. So nice to drive when not surrounded by a sea of large trucks and lifted 4 x 4 ' s as is typical at home in Alberta.

I have traveled extensively in Spain and Portugal the last 4 years and one of the great things is absolutely no half ton or 3/4 ton trucks. Sure there are some SUV's, and utility type trucks, but predominantly smaller cars and hatch backs and virtually all with standard transmissions. So nice to drive when not surrounded by a sea of large trucks and lifted 4 x 4 ' s as is typical at home in Alberta.
Yeah. There are few privately owned light trucks because the standard of living is so low, by Western standards! If you don't own much of nothin, you don't need a pickup truck to haul it in.

Well, there are plenty of F-x50's, Silverados, Suburbans, Navigators, etc. around here and, apart from the occasional carpenter or plumber, the beds are as empty as those in the 3 bears' house. So the owners may have tons of stuff, but it's never seen the inside of their trucks. I think it has more to do with state of mind (marketing) than standard of living. Perhaps people just took the expression "living large" literally, which would explain many of the other problems we're experiencing. Occasionally one tries to red-light me, with amusing results.

BTW, we almost got totaled on 128 outside Boston yesterday by a Range Rover that didn't bother to look before swinging into my lane (he was to my left). I just caught some motion out of the corner of my eye, we had a car on our right, so I hit the brakes just hard enough so we weren't rear-ended and he cleared us by about 6".

Time to get a dash-cam.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Oh man did I get lucky.. Bought mine Thursday of last week. Granted, mine is a CPO'd 2016 (only has 8k on it). But I do like the idea of owning a somewhat "rare" car. I dont see too many of them to begin with. I saw maybe 3 up in the Seattle/PNW area in 5 years. I've seen about 6 or 7 in Vegas in like 4 months, lol.
Yup, already a never seen car in my area, now it will make a LaFerrari seem 'common' around here. [histerical]

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
aligns with what I have been saying for the past year, or at least since last fall. When I asked about the next gen Fiesta at a media event for the EcoSport, I got a blank stare and the person went to the next person's question. Cheap gas prices, low sales, huge demand for crossovers, risk of NAFTA changes, America's attitude that bigger is always better, and no mention of the MkVIII Fiesta for the NA market were all indicators this was going to happen. Also, there was Mark Fields, who generally disliked small cars. I saw what he did to the original Focus and it was repeating on the Fiesta, except instead of just making it a cheap rental car, they just killed it. Ford is also changing to becoming a mobility company and not a car company. They see a future with less car owners and more ride sharing/ride hailing/autonomous operation. If you enjoy owning a car, driving a car, working on cars, or doing anything with a car other than riding in the back seat, then the future is not going to be fun.
^^^VERY VERY sad truth! [sad] [bawling]
ALL of the Point A to Point B appliance drivers in this land have won. GRRRRR!

Oh well, it was time for me to get back into shape/condition riding/training/racing bicycles anyway, and the Velodrome is only ~45 minutes away from here.
(And I was planning for this to be my last car on this planet anyway, unless they ban fossil fuels altogether.)

AzNightmare

While many are optimistic about the rarity status this car will have or prices going up assuming people want this car like it's a classic Integra Type R or clean AP1 S2K (it's not.), I'm quite upset about knowing that gathering a car meet in my location and having 3 cars show up is already considered a great successful meetup. My silver lining was hoping as years come along with new models coming, the amount of FiST owners would only grow from here on out and strengthening the community. I guess that idea got shut down.

But at the end of the day, I don't think anyone would be fanboying over their 3 cylinder car anyway even if the next gen did make it over.

It's quite lonely when you can't set up a proper FiST meet cause there aren't enough FiST owners. And it sucks when you go to a big car meet and there's 8 of every other car all parked side by side in a row, 80 BRZ/FRS taking up 1/4 of the parking lot, and 1 Fiesta ST that no one even knows what the fk it is cause apparently, no diecast model companies even bothered making a model of our car.

/rant

It's always been a struggle to get more than a couple Fiesta owners in one place to meet up and talk....

It's just the way things are nowadays. I think that some people are curious but not motivated. Others are afraid of having the things they've done get a harshly critical reception! They should just not worry about that! These cars are rare and special in North America! The only people who understands the appeal of em' is other Fiesta owners.the only thing that ticks me off is the local owners who won't show want those who did to post pics! Wtf! That is both lazy AND anti social. Imo

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
It was pretty obvious from Ford's statements at the European intro and the total silence since that we would not be getting the '18's. I love my '16 but my next new Ford will be a Fusion Sport for my wife. I think the fact it is faster than my ST, her brothers Hemi truck and 73 Road Runner and her other brothers Camaro is the sales point for her. She wants the Blue and have white Shelby stripes done on it. She wants the muscle car she never had in the 60's and 70's but can't do a clutch in a new one, she is fine with the ST. 0-60 in 5.3 is quick in that car, almost 4000 lbs.