Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Ford says Fiesta won't return for 2018

I just came back from my local dealer and the orders for 2017 FiST are closed.... And was not possible yet to order for 2018. In fact, they didn't seem to know that 2017 might still be the last year. So may be there's still hope for me. If not, there's only 1 car left in all my Province and it got all the options that I don't want (orange seats, nav, sun roof), so I might bite the bullet if it's the only chance for me to have a brand new car.

I just came back from my local dealer and the orders for 2017 FiST are closed.... And was not possible yet to order for 2018. In fact, they didn't seem to know that 2017 might still be the last year. So may be there's still hope for me. If not, there's only 1 car left in all my Province and it got all the options that I don't want (orange seats, nav, sun roof), so I might bite the bullet if it's the only chance for me to have a brand new car.
I too had to pull the trigger, even though it has a hole in the roof... meh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A few months back I had expressed interest in the 2018 Fiesta ST.

Dealership just called today to inform me that it has been discontinued and will not be available for 2018.

Given the sales volume of the last three years, nobody should be surprised at the news Fiesta has been ended for North America. Roughly five thousand units per year is not enough to be viable.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Given the sales volume of the last three years, nobody should be surprised at the news Fiesta has been ended for North America. Roughly five thousand units per year is not enough to be viable.
That 5K is just the ST models..........but Fiesta sales sucked in the US.

Yup. Forgot to add that tidbit. I think there is no doubt that the powershift transaxle issues were a death blow to the basic Fiesta's appeal to the average buyer. I don't believe that the size or features content of Fiesta was as much a factor in it's demise as were the fact that people don't want cars that have a reputation as unreliable.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Yup. Forgot to add that tidbit. I think there is no doubt that the powershift transaxle issues were a death blow to the basic Fiesta's appeal to the average buyer. I don't believe that the size or features content of Fiesta was as much a factor in it's demise as were the fact that people don't want cars that have a reputation as unreliable.
Has little to do with the transmission, Ford "reliability" issues are a magazine joke, they have taken hits for years due to the SYNC system complexity, in Consumers Reports and Edmunds......nothing to do with drivetrain reliability. Even though it is not a an issue in the ability of the car to function too many older people have brought them back to dealers to get their phones connected which is a service call. The original SYNC sucked! The US buys trucks and SUV's period. GM is also dropping some cars from the US market as there is no money to be made. Trucks and SUV's do not have to meet the same safety standard as cars so they are cheaper to build and much more profitable. Americans could care less about price they want a cheap note even if they have to finance for 7 years. Americans are programed from birth that bigger is better......."big fine car"......"biggie size"....."supersize". Look at past best sellers and compare their size growth over time. Compare the original Toyota RAV4 to today's model, or the Honda Fit, Ford Focus, blah blah blah. Have you looked at an older F150 and today's F150? What kind of fool drives an extended cab long bed F150 as a daily driver? I know in E.TN we have many many fools that drive them, parking lots are getting to be a joke with these behemoths sticking out from a normal parking place 4-5 feet with almost always one person in them and tricked out with chrome, big tires and running boards so the 5 foot tall driver can even get into them. Dumbchits in giant pick'em'ups are a sad small penis joke! My brother in laws Hemi truck gets 12 mpg in town and 19 on the hwy. My FiST gets 33 and 37. Both carry one passenger 95% of the time. We also have bigger roads than most of Europe and much cheaper gas. I see another panic coming when gas goes up as in the past. Suddenly there will be hundreds of thousands of trucks and SUV's on the market after being repossessed and cars that get 30 mpg will be sought out and a premium paid for them.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
I had received a snail mail letter from Ford regarding the transmission settlement. It's like an "OMG you bought a turd" moment for the other household members that didn't know it was specifically for the auto-trans... and I've never sought to own *any* manufacturer's auto-trans for that very reason. The valley is hard on automatic transmissions and don't want to be dropping $3-$5k into a trans every 100k-120k miles.

I drive a car until it rusts out or quality part acquisition becomes a problem. I like power2weight meaning, I am not interested in a small slow-poke. I am as NOT interested in a larger vehicle as I am in an automatic transmission. >92% of the time I am hauling nothing but my own ass and <40lbs of equipment. Why the hell do I need to sit on the tonnage of a virtual mobile home just to get from A to B? I spend most of the year on a 400lb 0-60 in 3 second motorcycle with a backpack and occasional rides of near 200 mile 'round trips.

In terms of a FIST sized performance vehicle, I'm interested in seeing what they intend to replace it with. Power2Weight! [rockon]

Well, we should just be proud that we own a very special car to those who are in the know. Grand total, how many STs were sold in the US?

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
I had received a snail mail letter from Ford regarding the transmission settlement. It's like an "OMG you bought a turd" moment for the other household members that didn't know it was specifically for the auto-trans... and I've never sought to own *any* manufacturer's auto-trans for that very reason. The valley is hard on automatic transmissions and don't want to be dropping $3-$5k into a trans every 100k-120k miles.

I drive a car until it rusts out or quality part acquisition becomes a problem. I like power2weight meaning, I am not interested in a small slow-poke. I am as NOT interested in a larger vehicle as I am in an automatic transmission. >92% of the time I am hauling nothing but my own ass and <40lbs of equipment. Why the hell do I need to sit on the tonnage of a virtual mobile home just to get from A to B? I spend most of the year on a 400lb 0-60 in 3 second motorcycle with a backpack and occasional rides of near 200 mile 'round trips.

In terms of a FIST sized performance vehicle, I'm interested in seeing what they intend to replace it with. Power2Weight! [rockon]
They have no plans of replacing it......small cars do not sell here. GM is also stopping production of US small cars. Look to the Far East for you only hope! Ford is moving Focus production to China as they have no plans of selling them in the US.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Well, we should just be proud that we own a very special car to those who are in the know. Grand total, how many STs were sold in the US?
About 20K.....in five years most modded cars will be ragged out, car wrecks will take others. Ten years down the road there will be just a few thousand in decent shape and will be a cult car. Twenty and the few remaining low mile all originals will be a minor collectors car for Ford nuts. I will drive mine until one of the grandkids get it.........

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
They have no plans of replacing it......small cars do not sell here. GM is also stopping production of US small cars. Look to the Far East for you only hope! Ford is moving Focus production to China as they have no plans of selling them in the US.
This just affirms my stance that this may well be my LAST car ever, as I refuse to purchase a vehicle from the far east, and unless my financial situation changes dramatically, I will never be able to afford the GT 350/350R or Camaro Z28 I would want (let alone a Z06 Vette or the like), or even accept, as the only replacement for this car. [driving] ;)

Intuit

3000 Post Club
I've read that Focus will be based out of China, but haven't run into an article stating that they won't sell it here.

But if we were to assume that they'd sell nothing but Fusion sized vehicles and larger: I chose the motorcycle (Yamaha) because there was nothing domestic at the time that came close, in both styling and performance. But that's a relatively small purchase, and used. Triumph (http://www.triumphmotorcycles.com/bikes/roadsters-and-supersports) is starting to introduce some more competitive options. If semi-domestic based corporations fail to offer anything competitive on four wheels, manufactured locally, then it seems, and for the first time ever, I'll be considering a look outside of Ford & GM. But maybe by then, we will be able to look at a smaller Tesla (https://www.tesla.com/model3) vehicle as a practical option...

Ford has not broken Fiesta ST sales out of the stated totals.....

About 20K.....in five years most modded cars will be ragged out, car wrecks will take others. Ten years down the road there will be just a few thousand in decent shape and will be a cult car. Twenty and the few remaining low mile all originals will be a minor collectors car for Ford nuts. I will drive mine until one of the grandkids get it.........
Production totals by year.2011 68,574. 2012 - 56,775. 2013- 71,073. 2014 - 63,192. 2015- 64,458. 2016- 48,807. 2017- not yet reported.

That's for sure. I have a '17 also, and I've noticed a lot of companies parts only go up to '16.
Glad I got mine, especially now after reading this thread.

Yes. As the headline read "Ford has not broken Fiesta ST sales out of the totals". Those numbers are the totals per year for North America.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Yes. As the headline read "Ford has not broken Fiesta ST sales out of the totals". Those numbers are the totals per year for North America.
Yep Ford does not break them out, these totals for ST's were provided in a business article last year based on US registration. High was 2014 at a little over 5K, '15 and '16 were a little under 5k each....no numbers for 2017 yet but I bet it will be the lowest due to shutting production down early. So total US ST's is under 20k. I find it strange that Ford does not publish the numbers but they never have for some reason.

They know exactly how many. But it's internal data. I would bet that Titanium package basic Fiesta probably sold more than ST.

Spoke on the phone with a local sales rep earlier today and after some banter and light prodding he said he had just recieved the 2018 order sheet. We were specifically talking about STs to clarify.