Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Ford says Fiesta won't return for 2018

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Lol one of the best episodes ever

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
They should at least bring over the our generation's 2-door while they're at it! I bet a small increase in sales if they did.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
They should at least bring over the our generation's 2-door while they're at it! I bet a small increase in sales if they did.
Sadly, it seems like we're two of the only ones who would want it over the 4 door (it seems that MANY have been 'habituated to' 4 doors with the Evo/STI also ONLY ever being made in 4 door).

Also, they already started making the Mk8s in England/Europe/R.O.W., so our gen's tooling is now LONG gone. [:(]

sales

Sadly, it seems like we're two of the only ones who would want it over the 4 door (it seems that MANY have been 'habituated to' 4 doors with the Evo/STI also ONLY ever being made in 4 door).

Also, they already started making the Mk8s in England/Europe/R.O.W., so our gen's tooling is now LONG gone. [:(]
I think it would be the same way a whole lot of "enthusiast" options go. We are really loud in our support of things like 2 door Fiesta or Wagons or a turbo BRZ, or whatever, but on the rare occasion they offer them, nobody buys. Sometimes it's a bit of a wonder that anything cool ever gets built at all. Niche items aren't big, easy money.

Personally, I wouldn't want a 2 door Fiesta, for the same reason I wouldn't want a 2 door Golf. Some cars should be coupes, others don't seem right. My first car was a'69 Nova. Whenever I see a 4 door Nova, it looks like it comes from the moon. 2 dr Fiestas aren't nearly that jarring. I'm all for options, regardless. Some people would/ do love them. .

The two door Fiestas definitely look better, but the practicality of the four door can't be beat.

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
The thing is guys, i already have 4 door :p

I see your point and refuse to believe it. They have until next Feb/March to bring me a goddam 2 door or I'm gonna buy the another 4 door! I mean it!

The two door Fiestas definitely look better, but the practicality of the four door can't be beat.
This, of course, is a matter of personal taste. I way prefer the 5 door hatch look, and I especially like small windows behind the rear door windows.

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Road&Track - Sept 15, 2017

Next Gen Ford Fiesta ST Is Not Coming to America

1487946754-stside.jpg

"When Ford finally revealed the new-generation Fiesta ST back in February, we were ecstatic. Well, I was ecstatic, because I owned a Fiesta ST and loved it to death. According to this latest report, it seems the new generation Fiesta ST—and any other version of the new Fiesta, for that matter—will not be coming to America. It's a dark day for the hot hatch enthusiast world.

Carbuzz spoke to European Director of Ford Performance Leo Roeks at the Frankfurt Auto Show recently and asked him about U.S. availably of the newest-generation Fiesta ST. He was pretty blunt in his response.

“It’s simply a matter of a lack of interest in the B-segment in America," Roeks told Carbuzz. "It doesn’t make sense, nor is it possible financially speaking, to import a single trim level, and a niche one at that."

So, according to the boss of Ford Performance in Europe, we here in America will not see any trim of the new Fiesta on our shores. I'm going to cry in a corner now.

In case you haven't thrown your computer out the window already, here's some quick facts on the new ST. The car's 197-horsepower 1.6-liter turbo four has been replaced with an all-new 200-horsepower 1.5-liter turbocharged three-cylinder engine, and now features three drive modes; normal, sport, and track. It will also feature an electronic sound enhancer, as well as cylinder deactivation.

But it's not like any of that matters now. Guess we'll have to wait 25 years to have one of our own. "

AzNightmare

Final nail in the coffin...

America doesn't need subcompacts anymore. The cost to upgrade to a compact is not much more, and you get a bigger car for practicality. Fuel prices are becoming more affordable as motors are being more fuel efficient, and as well, the industry is slowly leaning toward EV.

In an enthusiast POV, the FiST is still not in high demand. It's a fun car, but the ceiling is limited in real performance, the car is narrow, high COG, wheels rub at 225's, no LSD, etc. People looking for a hot hatch or entry level performance car would easily rather get a FoST, GTI, Si, etc. Something bigger and more practical, and more power out the door, because not every enthusiast is a hardcore tuner that wants to void warranty 800 miles in.

It's too bad, the FiST is an underrated car and it's a blast to drive, but it's too excessive for the average consumer. And it's not quite "good" enough to be taken for a serious performance car which is why a lot of people drive it for a few years and then move on to something with more potential. So... the FiST is sort of left in the middle of no where.

"So... the FiST is sort of left in the middle of nowhere." I park mine next to my 69 mustang. But, that still doesn't explain why Honda consistently sells 50 to 70 thousand Fits per year? And that is 100% hatchback body style! Not one Fit sedan has ever been offered in any market it has ever been sold in.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^For me, the only things with "more potential" would be the USDM/domestic nameplate pony/muscle cars, or sports cars, which are priced WELL out of my financial range, even un-modded. [:(]

It is NOT worth it to me to get out of this very fun/economical little car in order to 'step up'<-[rolleyes] to one of the import nameplates which everyone seems to abandon this car for on here with only slightly more initial performance, or mod performance capability. ;)

IF I had the coin, it is ALL THE WAY to a C7 variant, or a GT350/R or the like, or NOTHING! (The 'sacred' SI/Type R does NOTHING AT ALL for me as compared to those rides, or even OURS for that matter!) [driving]
I am NOT a JDM YO-YOer! LOL

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Ford Performance boss says the numbers don't make sense

"Ford’s long silence on whether or not the car would be imported may as well have been confirmation that it wasn’t coming. But without the official word saying it definitely wasn’t coming, we could still hope. Now those dreams are dashed. But hey,at least we got the Fiesta ST for one generation. We should be grateful Ford even gave us that."

I prefer to look at it from this perspective highlighted above..

Last edited:

Intuit

3000 Post Club
"So... the FiST is sort of left in the middle of nowhere." I park mine next to my 69 mustang. But, that still doesn't explain why Honda consistently sells 50 to 70 thousand Fits per year? And that is 100% hatchback body style! Not one Fit sedan has ever been offered in any market it has ever been sold in.
Manufactures who are based outside of the US, actually ADVERTISE their smaller vehicles. The little rodents advertising one of the foreign-based nameplates try to instill a sense of entertainment, performance and adventure. It really annoys me that folks constantly complain that Ford, GM smaller vehicles don't sell, while ignoring the facts that they are simply not advertised. Every dealership I went to tried to put me into a Focus ST that was already on the lot... and it wasn't about the "up-sell" because they were offered for less money. I don't want a tiny 2-door and I don't want a fat fanny. I love bigger HP in a smaller 4-door vehicle that is loaded with features.

Lack of advertising is only part of the problem! But now that you mentioned it. I have seen T.V. and print adverts for the Fit in the last couple of weeks. But it's also a failure of the manufacturers to make the effort to impart a cach'e (or at least try)to these cars that increases its appeal. It's a difficult thing to explain.

AzNightmare

The Fit is a much more versatile car than the Fiesta in terms of doing what it's meant to do. The storage capacity is bigger.
Fit has 16.6 cubic feet of cargo space behind the rear seats and 52.7 cubic feet with the rear seats folded.
Fiesta Hatchback has 14.9 cubic feet behind the rear seats and 25.4 cubic feet with the rear seats folded.

Most consumers buy the Fit for being a tiny car that can carry a lot of crap. It's slow, but it's demographics don't care. If they wanted a faster car, they'll buy a Civic Si.

The same consumers will look at the Fiesta and see it's no comparison in cargo space compared to a Fit. If they wanted a performance car, they'll probably just take a FoST instead.

But I do admit the Fiesta ST could have used a lot more marketing. To be honest, I've never even heard of it until about 2 weeks prior to buying it. I was scrolling through some images and the sexy Recaros caught my attention and I went on to find out which car those seats belonged to. (Not everyone love the Recaros, but if no Recaros, I wouldn't have bought the FiST, lol)

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Ford Performance boss says the numbers don't make sense

"Ford’s long silence on whether or not the car would be imported may as well have been confirmation that it wasn’t coming. But without the official word saying it definitely wasn’t coming, we could still hope. Now those dreams are dashed. But hey,at least we got the Fiesta ST for one generation. We should be grateful Ford even gave us that."

I prefer to look at it from this perspective highlighted above..
Right. If you own or owned one, be happy we are/were part of a great moment in Ford history. Ford went on a fast break while other manufacturers took the bailout back in 2010. They dropped the S197 refresh and ever since then, Ford has been doling out what the people want, prodding competition in the performance market (especially in the compact/subcompact segment. We, the FiSTs, are the modern XR4Ti.

Don't worry, be happy.

It's not fair to invoke the memory of the XR4Ti in comparison to the Fist. The Merkur was a turd compared to other Ford turbo cars available at exactly the same time! The only parts I kept from the XR' s I had were a set of wheels and the 2.3 turbo blocks and T-9 transmissions. I think the Fiesta ST will enjoy a much better following than the Merkur XR4Ti.

I think the major reason for the failure of the Fiesta in North America has been Ford's inability to perfect the Dual Clutch Automatic Transmission; I mean come on, it's been out there for 8 years now and they still can't get it right???? This has been killing the resale value of the line; who wants to buy a car that is by no means cheapest in segment, only to end up with terrible resale value?
I actually started out to buy my wife a Fiesta Titanium, but due to its poor resale, convinced her it would be better to buy the ST for me (heh heh! that worked out pretty good!)
And as I've stated previously; piss poor marketing and promotion.