Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

deAutoLED H11 Anti-glare HID bulbs

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I was lurking over at my old stomping grounds, vwvortex, when i stumbled onto a thread about HID bulbs that don't blind oncoming drivers when used in a multi-reflector lamp. I know, i know. BS...I've NEVER done something like this and I'm very critical of those who put HIDs where they don't belong, but the reviews were very positive. The videos on you tube support the reviews in the forum. The cut-off IS indeed below the belt line of oncoming cars and the pattern is fairly sharp. So, i'm optimistic this will work as advertised.

Even with the aftermarket halogen hyper white bulbs I'm running, our headlights truly suck. Especially in the rain where it looks as if the headlights aren't even on. So I'll be the guinea pig. With the coupon (expires today) i paid 112 shipped for bulbs and ballast, 5000k. A bit pricey but worth it as i can't afford the Euros for a while. I'll be back with pics and videos in a week or so. Oh and these folks respond to emails same day, within hours, repeatedly over the course of two days! So they've got support nailed down!

EDIT: In the time it took me to make a few posts, they shipped :)

http://deautokey.com/product/h11rc-...reflector-housing-not-your-regular-xenon-bulb

This kit will include everything you will need to turn your boring dull halogen bulbs into bright xenon bulbs.
These H11rc bulbs have the superior Metal Base vs the plastic base.
A plastic base can melt over time causing alignment issues, the metal base is also easier to align and fit into the housing.

These HID are 5cc shorter than a normal HID bulb and have material at the base of the bulb to eliminate any blinding glare when installed in your reflector housing. This is a must have upgrade for a safer and more enjoyable ride.

The rc line up of our HID will create an amazing beam angle - check out the photo for the beam angle as shown on a wall.

Included in the kit:
2x 35w A/C Slim Digital Ballast with built-in CANBUS Error Canceller for easy install
2x H11rc Xenon bulbs in your color choice 5000k or 6000k

TLDR - Much cleaner light than expected. Reserving final judgement until I do a drive by test. Seeking a bulb replacement from vendor to make it as it should be. Scroll for install notes or stay for review & pics.

Sexy isn’t it? I think it’s sexy. I feel sexy just owning it…Notice the gray band directly on the bulb.
That is the precious anti-glare magic. If they can perfect this I bet OEMs will start using it in low end models. Surely less glare than the LEDs on the new Corolla.

Pulled onto my street and already pretty impressed. The trees to the left aren't lit and the bush on the right is only half lit - already a good sign that the light isn't shooting to the moon. The throw is far and wide enough to light my entire path. And the 2nd floor window of the building in the distance isn't being hit. Although I am concerned about that hot spot on the ground right in front of the bumper I figure it’s safe to go for a spin.

Don't be fooled by next pic. The glare is from the phone lens. Notice the lighting on the buildings have the same exact flare up in the same direction. In person you can actually see the bulb in the headlight housing. The light is crisp and clean. If I'm up for it, I'll set my DSLR on the tripod until I get the shot.

This is more like the color temp

The beam pattern showed up fairly clean on the wall. There's still no doubt I’ve put an HID in a reflector lamp but it's not scattered everywhere either. In fact, aside from the faint bleed above the main cut-off, I think it's tolerable.
The bleed I'm talking about is to the left of the metal box on the brick wall. A small pillar of light shoots straight up, but stops just short of the roof of the building. I'm hoping this isn't a hot spot. I didn't notice it standing directly in front of the car so I'm optimistic. The drive-by test will put that to rest.
But notice to the extreme left and right, the cut off is sharp. On the left the woods remain pitch black. The same on the right where the glass door and windows aren't beaming with cornea melting light. And the pavement in front is HID white as expected. Looking good so far.
Yes the two smileys are annoying but driving my FiST makes me happy so I can live with it :D

An outside shot on that same brick wall gives us a different view of that hotspot in front of the bumper. More on that later. But you can really see how sharp the cut-off is. The pillar of light begins to fade a bit as well. I really like how there are two levels of light intensity the further away from the car it is. Whether they designed it this way or not, the fog lights are even more of a moot point now as the HIDs provide a shade of light there as well.

Now more tests. I pointed the beams onto the sides of parked cars. I positioned myself directly perpendicular. I wanted to make sure the light wasn’t getting over the beltline. And much like the brick wall, and to my surprise, I got a nice clean cut off right below the cars’ door handles. You’ll notice none of the side windows are reflecting any light.

LOOK AT MEEE!

I debated sharing this shot since my driveway is at a 30* pitch but here is the requisite garage shot. The little bit of scatter could very well be because my nose is in the air. Take it for what it’s worth.

But this pic does highlight an issue. I mentioned a hot spot on the driver side in a few of the pics above. Here you’ll see there’s obviously something going on with the driver side. So much so I aimed that one headlight to the low setting before even heading out. There is absolutely way more bleed on the drive side than on the passenger. It cuts through your soul if you look directly into it…But only if you are at the side of the car. It’s kind of a “fuck you” to drivers sitting to your left at an intersection. But I know why.

The bulb on the right doesn’t do this to the degree the left does. While it's still there, it is VERY brief and not nearly as intense. Inspecting each bulb I found that the gray band, the anti-reflective fairy dust, is in a better position on the right-side bulb (the sexy pic above). On the left bulb, aka the laser beam, the gray band is way closer to the base of the bub, letting too much light escape. I’ve emailed the vendor for a replacement and will refer them to this thread. If they can get me a bulb with the correct fairy dust, we’ve got a winner boys and girls. Well, drive-by test but so far, I’m thinking this will work out. Still not a proper projector lamp, but a solid compromise that won’t spit in the face of safety. I was in the rain the other night and it looked like my headlights weren’t even on. I’ve got to do something. This may hold me down until I can do Euros.

If you’re considering this set, read on for the install. It was cake.

First connection you’ll make is the supplied power harness to the OEM bulb connector. The kit on my wife’s Mazda5 (has projector lamps), required me to stick two bare metal leads into the OEM connector and electrical tape the mess together. THIS KIT COMES WITH OEM CONNECTORS! I’m obviously replacing my wife’s kit.

I HIGHLY recommend you do NOT take the HID bulbs out of their foam packaging at this stage. Take them out of the box, but keep them safely in the foam packaging. Bring the bulbs and the ballasts over to the engine cover. Lay everything out and wire it up. You always want to test an HID setup before suffering the actual PITA that is inserting the bulb into the headlight. Nothing worse than inserting a dead bulb or having a dead ballast after you buttoned up the headlight. So TEST each ballast and each bulb using the DRIVER side OEM connector before installing anything. I used the passenger side which is way tighter to work with.

The connectors all go where they fit. You shouldn’t have to force ANYTHING so check your alignments, etc. To orient yourself, just make sure the two small, round-ish orange connectors face the ballast. On the ballast side, the connector that the blue wire clips into is marked with + and – signs. The blue/white wire aligns with the positive. And when you do a swell job, it gives you a wink and a smile :D

If your bulb doesn’t light, just flip the connector at the OEM side. Leave the ballast side as is and test again. It took me two other spare ballasts and one other HID bulb before my aha moment. Your welcome lol And in the name of all that is turbocharged in the world, make sure your headlights are in the on position!

With all hardware functional, slap the bulb into the headlight. I eventually got frustrated with the passenger side and just removed both headlights. MUCH easier. Some may be bashful but I went ahead a cut open the OE covers and fed the HID harness through it. If you cut the hole a bit smaller than the grommet, is seals up fine.

HID bulb and harness installed on the headlight…which is sitting on my engine cover. The headlight adjuster can be seen in the lower left of the shot.

The ballasts are of the slim variety and our engine bay leaves plenty of nooks for them. I cleaned the areas with a Simple Green degreaser then 91% isopropyl alcohol. Each ballast has a double sided tape already applied.

Driver Side

Passenger Side

Last edited:

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I'm really into how this all works out...keep us all informed ...pics and videos much appreciated

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

OP
LilPartyBox

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #5
Kit arrived QUICK! Installing it now. Notice the grey metal shield installed directly onto the HID bulb. Stay tuned.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

OP
LilPartyBox

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #9
updated first post with review and install

OP
LilPartyBox

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #11
They look pretty damn amazing. Do post updates if/when you get a replacement bulb for the driver side

OP
LilPartyBox

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #14
So they've agreed to send me not one, but a pair of replacement bulbs. Their support continues to shock & awe. They had already sent the bulbs but I still sent them these two pics to illustrate the issue.

Yeah, if you can post a side by side with the bad bulb and replacement for reference, that would be great.
A side-by-side should be easy enough. I'll take all of the same pics with the replacement bulb in place.

You could try swapping the bulbs side to side just to rule out a housing/reflector issue, but I think you're on the money with that strip being in the wrong spot. I'm really intrigued by these bulbs, they seem the most promising so far to get some more usable light out of these things without ruining the output/cut off.

Those don't look very good at all to me (I will confess, all of my cars are retrofitted as well as everyone I know, and we test all of this stuff and put a lot of effort into it). the "dual intensity" that you talk of is actually your glare. The "smiley faces" are your hotspots which should be aimed straight ahead of you down the road and signify the correct cutoff point. Those are what give you distance lighting by placing the highest intensity of light straight ahead down the road. The light you see above those hotspots is the glare that will be aimed higher than the hotspot and into the eyes and rear view mirrors of the cars in front. The fiesta headlights will never get better lighting from using hid or led drop in bulbs because the reflector does not do a good job of grouping the light for a brighter bulb with the filament in a different location. That is why they use h11, one of the dimmest bulb types available, because these housings will always have bad glare and scattered light... brighter bulbs, even if they were a perfect filament point with a small intense point of light like a halogen bulb will always intensify that glare.

And Corolla's don't have glare, they were just aimed very high from the factory on the 1st year models, the remaining years are lower. These are my corolla/murano LED mashups in my Fiesta... notice the difference in light gradient with a cutoff without glare above it.

^ nice. I need to find a set of spare headlights so I can do a proper retrofit.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

KKaWing

The fiesta headlights will never get better lighting from using hid or led drop in bulbs because the reflector does not do a good job of grouping the light for a brighter bulb with the filament in a different location. That is why they use h11, one of the dimmest bulb types available, because these housings will always have bad glare and scattered light... brighter bulbs, even if they were a perfect filament point with a small intense point of light like a halogen bulb will always intensify that glare.
Truth... H9's weren't very welcome on rural roads. They were amazing, but the "side glare" seen in some LED kits is present.

OP
LilPartyBox

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #19
Same shit different bulb. I'm very disappointed. It turns out the passenger side bulb was the defective one. Their kits are supposed to come with bulbs like the side glare bastard on the driver side.

The left is the original, right is the replacement. Both replacement bulbs came this way :(

The side glare is still just as intense.

https://youtu.be/5WSvBslZuD4
[MENTION=2176]blurred[/MENTION] that looks great. But I'll go euro before I do a retrofit. Never been a fan mainly cuz I've seen many times where the projectors weren't aligned well and resulted in a less than ideal beam. Not in ur case tho.

I still think they have a solid product. Their isn't any glare from any other angle but the side. Not excusing it but if i blind someone at a traffic light it doesn't pose a danger and i'll be mindful to check for squinting drivers at every intersection. Maybe some ugly ass tint on the sides of the headlights? Function over form....maybe. I'll still do a drive by test tonight and decide if I'm keeping them. Pricey experiment. Dammit.

Got a cool avatar pic out of it tho lol