Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Fiesta ST Sound Symposer

More of an annoyance than hatred. I've driven tons of 4 cylinder cars, turbo and non-turbo, and none of the make the honking noise I have in my ST, with the exception of my 2012 GTI that was more of a psyco bumble bee whirring noise (I disconnected it, too).

The good news is if you like it, keep it, but if you don't there are obviously many different ways to defeat it.

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
Here ya go...

Video (below) originally posted Sep 30, 2013 by BRGT350

Want to know how the Fiesta ST sounds the way it does when driving? Brandon Redeker sits down with SVT Engineer Tom Teknos. In the video Tom explains how the Sound Symposer works on the Fiesta ST.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The Symposer generates a fluttering / synthesized engine noise derived through the induction system which we think "enhances" the driving experience "

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CquuP5ofrYw

[video=youtube;CquuP5ofrYw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CquuP5ofrYw[/video]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And I personally don't "hate" the symposer... I just thought the synthesized sound it added to be somewhat annoying and really didn't have a lot of confidence the design would be robust enough to handle increased boost pressures...

View attachment 11656

I am well aware of the video since my brother filmed it at Ford with Tom. The system doesn't add fake exhaust sounds as you mentioned in your post. I just want to make that clear since there are a number of posts on different forums that are convinced there is some sort of created sound that is played through the speakers. is the sound 100% intake sound? No, it has to be synthesized since you can't have an open pipe running from the intake tube to the cabin. It would be unfiltered air and allow some engine gasses to enter the cabin. The solution was a sealed box in which the membrane flutters passing sound to the tube that leads to the cockpit. I honestly don't even notice the sound over my FSWerks exhaust and noisy Yokohama tires. I really don't remember it on the Fiesta Movement car either, which was stock.

Now, removing it for worries about the membrane breaking down and causing a boost leak is something that does have merit. I could see this on cars running higher than stock boost pressures.

The sound symposer thing just seems like the entire engine hitting the firewall thing. Something from the Focus ST world becomes gospel for the Fiesta ST. Two different cars, two different sound symposers.

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
I am well aware of the video since my brother filmed it at Ford with Tom..
Yes, I remember that you mentioned that awhile ago and that's why I mentioned you again in my previous post...thanks for posting that video on Youtube..

The system doesn't add fake exhaust sounds as you mentioned in your post... The solution was a sealed box in which the membrane flutters passing sound to the tube that leads to the cockpit.
Just to clarify, I never mentioned that the symposer sound was derived from the exhaust as clearly it's not... I mentioned that it sounded like "faux exhaust noises" (at least that was my perception)...And I still see the symposer box as nothing more then a cute lil' fluttering membrane box which makes an attempt to "enhance" engine noise ...

Like many posted on here I too do think its a bit gimmicky and fake (or faux) sounding which I found didn't "enhance" my driving experience and was more of an annoyance ...IMHO

Sound%20Symposer.jpg

Now, removing it for worries about the membrane breaking down and causing a boost leak is something that does have merit. I could see this on cars running higher than stock boost pressures.
And as I've mentioned a few times this was my primary reason for removing the symposer...

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
Yes, I remember that you mentioned that awhile ago and that's why I mentioned you again in my previous post...thanks for posting that video on Youtube..

Just to clarify, I never mentioned that the symposer sound was derived from the exhaust as clearly it's not... I mentioned that it sounded like "faux exhaust noises" (at least that was my perception)...And I still see the symposer box as nothing more then a cute lil' fluttering membrane box which makes an attempt to "enhance" engine noise ...

Like many posted on here I too do think its a bit gimmicky and fake (or faux) sounding which I found didn't "enhance" my driving experience and was more of an annoyance ...IMHO

View attachment 11657

And as I've mentioned a few times this was my primary reason for removing the symposer...
yeah, and you are totally right for the concern about the increased boost pressure. There are some that think it creates a sound through the speakers, which isn't correct. You aren't one of those, and most of those comments are on Facebook or left on some of my review videos. Really posting to help make sure everyone is on board with what the system does.

As for the video, I wish it would have come out better. My brother ran that entire mission and the video, which should have been very interesting, came out a little bland. I have always been disappointed in how that one came out. I think he spent more time boondoggling around instead of making the video that month. Oh well, it is what it is and the information is still good even if it is boring to watch.

Hey there, I got a bottle of my favorite red wine but I'm having trouble finding the hole I'm supposed to plug. I crawled in the floorboard with a flashlight, but it's not jumping out at me. Got any tips?
It is a bit hard to get to. The symposer exit is a black corrugated tube maybe 3/4" diameter, zip tied to some other wires. It is located under the dash, nearly straight above the gas pedal, maybe slightly to the left. I'll try to post a pic later. I had to slide the seat full back and look up under the dash. Once you see it, you can get to it easily enough.

Waterfan

for the life of me, I will never understand the complete and utter hatred towards the sound symposer nor the great deal of misinformation about what the system is. There is no fake exhaust sound. The only exhaust sound is the exhaust. There is no connection between the symposer and the exhaust. The system runs off of the intake. It isn't fake sound at all, this is not like the recorded engine sounds that other automakers use that is played through the speakers.
No hatred here, just too much cabin noise for my tastes.

YMMV

It is a bit hard to get to. The symposer exit is a black corrugated tube maybe 3/4" diameter, zip tied to some other wires. It is located under the dash, nearly straight above the gas pedal, maybe slightly to the left. I'll try to post a pic later. I had to slide the seat full back and look up under the dash. Once you see it, you can get to it easily enough.
Thanks. I ended up doing it another way but I appreciate you taking the time to answer.

Funny story. Went to install the boomba SS delete today and as soon as I put pliers on the clamp at the bottom of the SS, one of the ends of the clamp snapped right off. Needless to say I couldn't get the clamp off with it like that. Still mounted to the car at least. If this happens to anyone else or you simply can't get the hose clamp off (Ford uses some sort of adhesive under the clamps so they can be a tough one), you can do what I did and remove the entire charge pipe that the SS is attached to and remove it with it off the vehicle. It made it easier for me since the clamp broke. I replaced it with a worm clamp. It doesn't take very long just make sure you unplug the sensor and the other hose with the green clamp from the charge pipe before you take it down. I hope this helps anyone ever in the situation I was in today. I love the sound, or no sound rather, after taking the SS out.

I also had the benefit of a lift for this. You will more than likely need ramps at least if you are going to go this route. Sorry I didn't mention in the first post.

OK, so can I just pull the hose off the symposer and plug it up? I bought a Mountune kit, but can't get the hose clamps off to remove the symposer.

Mikey456

I reduced the sound of my sound symposer with rubber plug I found from a wine bottle. I don’t know the size but the hose might be around 1/2 inch and maybe I changed it to a 1/4 inch. The sound is less overwhelming for me on the highways etc. but I can still hear motor noise. When I completely plugged it up it was too quiet with the stock exhaust.