Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Am I crazy for Considering Trading in for a 2017??

I wholeheartedly agree, which is why I haven't concerned myself over new rock chips or anything like that. My overall goal was to grab what could potentially be the newest version of the car and get a solid fresh start with plans to own it for a long long time. And if I owned my car outright that would also make it a much harder decision.

Right now, I'm currently sitting at them offering me a 17' Magnetic w/Recaro, Nav, Ebony wheels, Red calipers for $19,900 out the door. Now I'm waiting to see what they offer me for my car and that will ultimately decide if I'm going to pull the trigger or not.
good luck!!!!!!!! [rockon]

me32

1000 Post Club
Oh definitely, I'm making sure I check the impulse decision at the door so I don't get left with regret. Not to say $22k OTD for a FiST with those options is bad at all, but I also still love my car :)
Good plan

I bought mine used, so I didn't end up paying a crazy amount for it. A lot of it will boil down to what the dealer would offer in trade. I am NOT willing to pile on negative equity just because they are cutting me a "deal" off MSRP. I know how the car sales world works pretty well.
I went into buy a 2017 new but ended up getting a lease return 2016 with 26.5K km on it and it looked brand new as the guy was driving it from Vancouver to California and did most of the KM in 1 year. Still had 7K km to go before the max for the lease. The cost of a new one was $31K CDN I got the 2016 for $21K. I'd rather take the savings. Mind you I'm at 41K Km from 26.5K Km in 10 weeks lmfo.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
It's the fact that they can make them for everyday use and meet all the legal safety requirements by law. Any of the other companies could get in the game too. I've seen the other options in the aftermarket for racing type seats and they aren't very comfortable for everyday long term driving. But to each there own.
That is because they have a monopoly on better performing seats for OEM/nameplate apps, save for the few sparse contracts Sparco has with Lambo and the like.

I've 'lived' long term with shell style recliner seats in past rides, and have no problems with lifting myself out of, and dropping myself into the high side bolsters (which I would have to do with the ST Recaros ANYWAY in order to not ruin them/crush the outside lower bolster ;)).

Somehow, I am still here without having had side air bags in ANY previous ride to this one, for 45 years of driving. [rolleyes]
In fact, none of them even had a steering wheel exploding whoopee cushion, OH NOESZ!! [doorpeek]

Finally, as much as I DESPISE Recaro as a company, maybe their OEM supplied product is leaps and bounds higher in quality and durability than their P.O.S. way overpriced aftermarket crap, and I possibly would have considered them, even at that stupid package price, if they were of the one piece shell STYLE recliners, with a one piece backrest with an INTEGRATED headrest (and NOT the same lousy separate, way too far forward canted, post headrests as the base seats). ;)

OP
B
Thread Starter #46
So I think I've managed to get them to $21.5k OTD. I've very torn at this point. I know I can ditch the ebony wheels w/tires immediately and that should recoup some of that back. Still 60 month financing and my payment goes up by $60/month.

Also means I need to convert my car back to stock pretty quick for the deal.

Overall seems solid considering my negative equity is rolled into that as well.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
It's a dealer in Northern VA and not Koons. I'll post up a link to the car if it's not going to workout.

Right now, I didn't realize how low the KBB values on the Fiesta's were, so I don't think it's going to happen. I had set my head on $21k OTD total with any/all negative equity rolled in, but it doesn't look like it will get there, looks like it will be more like $22k OTD. The KBB value that the dealer told me to look at to get a range puts my car worth less in their zip code for the transaction then in my area. Again, my car has had no issues and this idea was more of a want then a need so I may have to pass depending on what they come back with.
When I test drove an RS two months ago, the dealer wanted to give me $13,500 for my 3000 mile, 7 month old, base model, with NO chips, dings, scratches, etc. at all on it.

That's not 'depreciation', that is RAPE!

Truth in Ruin

1000 Post Club
So I think I've managed to get them to $21.5k OTD. I've very torn at this point. I know I can ditch the ebony wheels w/tires immediately and that should recoup some of that back. Still 60 month financing and my payment goes up by $60/month.

Also means I need to convert my car back to stock pretty quick for the deal.

Overall seems solid considering my negative equity is rolled into that as well.
How much is your insurance going to go up?

Waterfan

Are you crazy?

No.

You "dated" the FiST through buying a used car.
You fell in love, deeply
You are ready to marry the sexy little beast and minor adjustments will ensure the love will last forever.

(This is kind of the same limited financial investment as leasing a car and then getting into a new car ~2 years later)

It's OK to admit this may be an emotional decision more than it is a financial one. In fact, when you follow your heart, this is the best way to avoid or minimize buyer's remorse. When you love the car THAT much you will never agonize over how maybe you didn't get the absolute best deal possible.

(didn't read the whole thread, please excuse any redundancies)

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Robbery, not rape. Choice of words is important here.
Yes, sorry, as I now regret using that word, but it was that disgusting and shocking when they offered that pittance for a new, pretty much perfect (except for having driven it off of the lot) FiST.
(I also have a strong disdain for that word as well, especially when used to describe something MUCH MUCH LESS harmful and destructive than it's literal meaning.)

me32

1000 Post Club
That is because they have a monopoly on better performing seats for OEM/nameplate apps, save for the few sparse contracts Sparco has with Lambo and the like.

I've 'lived' long term with shell style recliner seats in past rides, and have no problems with lifting myself out of, and dropping myself into the high side bolsters (which I would have to do with the ST Recaros ANYWAY in order to not ruin them/crush the outside lower bolster ;)).

Somehow, I am still here without having had side air bags in ANY previous ride to this one, for 45 years of driving. [rolleyes]
In fact, none of them even had a steering wheel exploding whoopee cushion, OH NOESZ!! [doorpeek]

Finally, as much as I DESPISE Recaro as a company, maybe their OEM supplied product is leaps and bounds higher in quality and durability than their P.O.S. way overpriced aftermarket crap, and I possibly would have considered them, even at that stupid package price, if they were of the one piece shell STYLE recliners, with a one piece backrest with an INTEGRATED headrest (and NOT the same lousy separate, way too far forward canted, post headrests as the base seats). ;)
Lol rant over now. Glad you let out. Seems the build up was killing you. Glad to see you have gotten to enjoy lifestyle of racing seats that fit your needs.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Lol rant over now. Glad you let out. Seems the build up was killing you. Glad to see you have gotten to enjoy lifestyle of racing seats that fit your needs.
No "buildup that will kill me" LOL (there are MANY things out there that can/will "kill me", including it seems, the explosive pillows in all cars nowadays, but 'buildup' is not one of them [wink]), and glad to see that you love/enjoy your $2000.00 seats as much as you do! [thumb] [:)] [cool]

me32

1000 Post Club
No "buildup that will kill me" LOL (there are MANY things out there that can/will "kill me", including it seems, the explosive pillows in all cars nowadays, but 'buildup' is not one of them [wink]), and glad to see that you love/enjoy your $2000.00 seats as much as you do! [thumb] [:)] [cool]

If I'm gonna pay for it. I better well like it.

Trading in a 2 year old car for latest model doesn't make any sense to me. Running some generic numbers for a 2015 FiST:

Current trade-in value: $14,000
Amount financed: $15,000 @ 2.8% APY for 60 months ($268/month)
Amount left on the loan (assuming 10 months worth of payments made): $12,643

Assuming the new car is $20k out the door and no additional money is put down:
Equity in vehicle: $14,000 - $12,643 = $1,357
Amount financed for new vehicle: $20,000 - $1,357 = $18,643

So the question you have to ask yourself is whether or not having the new model of the same car is worth an additional $6,000. Even if you took into account the warranty on the new vehicle and the problems on your current car, I would be very surprised if the cost of the repairs plus the amount of potential warrenty work claimed exceeded $6,000.

Also hi from Chesapeake! If it's the same hurricane I'm thinking of (Matthew), I also lost a car (my old beater Subaru) in it due to flooding.

OP
B
Thread Starter #58
Trading in a 2 year old car for latest model doesn't make any sense to me. Running some generic numbers for a 2015 FiST:

Current trade-in value: $14,000
Amount financed: $15,000 @ 2.8% APY for 60 months ($268/month)
Amount left on the loan (assuming 10 months worth of payments made): $12,643

Assuming the new car is $20k out the door and no additional money is put down:
Equity in vehicle: $14,000 - $12,643 = $1,357
Amount financed for new vehicle: $20,000 - $1,357 = $18,643

So the question you have to ask yourself is whether or not having the new model of the same car is worth an additional $6,000. Even if you took into account the warranty on the new vehicle and the problems on your current car, I would be very surprised if the cost of the repairs plus the amount of potential warrenty work claimed exceeded $6,000.

Also hi from Chesapeake! If it's the same hurricane I'm thinking of (Matthew), I also lost a car (my old beater Subaru) in it due to flooding.
Thanks for the response. I had done a bunch of number crunching in my head about overall costs, long term, etc. To be honest, if the FiST was going to be available for the next couple years or in a new gen model later, I would just enjoy my car and wait it out, but if the 2017's will be the last model we see then I would like to have one of the final revisions that I can own from new and keep for the long haul.

Yes, it was hurricane Matthew. I was out of town in Vegas and I was going to overnight my keys back to my friend to have him move my car, but they kept saying it was going to hit, then it wasn't, then it was... then it did. While I don't think it was a terrible storm from those I talked to, it just happened to be enough to put my car partially underwater and kill some of the electronics. USAA doesn't allow you to purchase flood vehicles back unless you go to the auction location at the time of sale and win it and I was out of town when it was auctioned or I would have done that so I could have parted it out.

Update on the purchase plan... I am waiting for the dealer today. I sent them pictures of my car, VIN and mileage info and they are "checking" to see if they can hit the $$ I wanted. He had asked if there was anyway I could produce a little more if necessary and I told him no. He said even if it's a couple hundred dollars and I still said no. So I'm sticking strong to balancing the financial aspect and the emotional aspect of the transaction.

Truth in Ruin

1000 Post Club
Thanks for the response. I had done a bunch of number crunching in my head about overall costs, long term, etc. To be honest, if the FiST was going to be available for the next couple years or in a new gen model later, I would just enjoy my car and wait it out, but if the 2017's will be the last model we see then I would like to have one of the final revisions that I can own from new and keep for the long haul.

Yes, it was hurricane Matthew. I was out of town in Vegas and I was going to overnight my keys back to my friend to have him move my car, but they kept saying it was going to hit, then it wasn't, then it was... then it did. While I don't think it was a terrible storm from those I talked to, it just happened to be enough to put my car partially underwater and kill some of the electronics. USAA doesn't allow you to purchase flood vehicles back unless you go to the auction location at the time of sale and win it and I was out of town when it was auctioned or I would have done that so I could have parted it out.

Update on the purchase plan... I am waiting for the dealer today. I sent them pictures of my car, VIN and mileage info and they are "checking" to see if they can hit the $$ I wanted. He had asked if there was anyway I could produce a little more if necessary and I told him no. He said even if it's a couple hundred dollars and I still said no. So I'm sticking strong to balancing the financial aspect and the emotional aspect of the transaction.
Good job.

OP
B
Thread Starter #60
So to update, they came back and decided instead of offering close to what they were saying they would for my trade (14k-14.5k), they came back and said now they would only be able to offer between 12-13k. This amount immediately puts the deal on the car up over $22k and not something I'm willing to bite on. I emailed them back and said thank you for their time, however it seemed to far off and the likelihood of a deal getting done is pretty slim to none. Therefore I will be continuing with the installation of all the parts in my garage on my own car :)

However, anyone who has read this and is interested in a 2017, there are some great deals out there for sure!