Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Is a big/hybrid turbo swap worth it?

This question has been on my mind for quite some time. That is, whether or not it is "worth it" to upgrade the Fiesta ST's turbocharger. So what do I mean by "worth it"?

1. Is it worth the COST?: Estimate of $3,000-$4,000, or approximately 16% of the Fiesta ST's MSRP.

2. Is it worth the change in DRIVING EXPERIENCE?: More power! At the cost of altering the characteristics of the stock turbocharger.

3. Is it worth the risk of UTILIZATION?: In other words, how often can you really utilize the power during everyday driving?

4. Is it worth compromising the RELIABILITY?: I'm assuming upgrading the turbo increases the amount of stress on the engine. What are the downsides in terms of maintenance and potential damage?

Let me know what you think! And please be explicit it your reasoning!

Also, thanks [MENTION=3995]jeff[/MENTION] for giving a detailed breakdown of a typical turbo upgrade http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/14446-Honest-review-X47-turbo/page2

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
It really boils down to what you want. My answer to the first three questions is: because I saw potential for what I wanted, so I did it.

The last question: a couple of these cars (including mine) have been pushed beyond 420whp+. My stock block took 36psi, multiple half mile runs, and a few kill tunes before catastrophic damage occurred. Many at 380whp that daily and drag race. And many many more at 300whp.

So, think about what YOU want from YOUR car, and do it.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I know that MOST on here who do a BT kit/hybrid upgrade do not install a limited slip diff, but I for one will not even think about a major (300 to the wheels) power upgrade without doing this mod FIRST!

I know that Hijinx above did not do this, and he claims to not feel much torque steer through the wheel, but I know that coming from RWD (LS1 Z28), I WILL not just notice it, but it will bother me to no end, even if it does not come on until way up in the power curve/rev range, as some of the 'laggier' kits/size turbos do.

I also care about turning left and right, and launching off of apexes, so there is that benefit as well (I would do it right NOW, on even factory stock power, IF I had the coin jingling around in my pocket!).
It also even helps to save your pads and rotors, even on the street, as it prevents the ESC/TC from being as intrusive compared to stock. ;)

1. Is it worth the COST?: Estimate of $3,000-$4,000, or approximately 16% of the Fiesta ST's MSRP.
Uh I got my Ported and Polished X37 installed for $1,100 all in. Taking the time to research options and being willing to jump on used deals and do the work yourself makes a world of difference.

(Full opinion incoming)

DvC

2. Is it worth the change in DRIVING EXPERIENCE?: More power! At the cost of altering the characteristics of the stock turbocharger.

3. Is it worth the risk of UTILIZATION?: In other words, how often can you really utilize the power during everyday driving?

4. Is it worth compromising the RELIABILITY?: I'm assuming upgrading the turbo increases the amount of stress on the engine. What are the downsides in terms of maintenance and potential damage?

Also, thanks [MENTION=3995]jeff[/MENTION] for giving a detailed breakdown of a typical turbo upgrade http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/14446-Honest-review-X47-turbo/page2
1. Really you're the only one who can answer if it's worth it to you. I am well over $5k on top of the purchase price to get where I am now. If I had to do it over again, I would. Getting into my fist and mashing the go pedal is awesome. Sure, people look at me stupid because I dropped so much money but it is more exciting than more sporty cars I have owned, 04 z06, 14 c6.

2. The feel of the stock turbo is fun, for a little while. Getting smoked by minivans and Camry is not. I supposed if auto x is your thing the stock turbo may be for you. My car will be tracked on larger tracks and as such I need power to extend past 4k rpms. My 2860r doesn't lag all that much. 4k rpms and I'm at full boost and hybrids are just below that around around 3400 rpms.

3. I don't daily drive the car so utilization isn't an issue. I do think it would be an issue if I was trying to drive around the city mostly. It does lose the stock turbo quickness.

4. I was just having a conversation about reliability yesterday. I am not sure the car will hold up to the 380hp I think it will make when done tuning. If I was worried about that I wouldn't put a huge turbo on my car. 300hp I think the car can handle no problem. It has been shown many many times. I just installed my lsd yesterday and the clutch and flywheel look brand new after 24k of the hardest mile that can go on a car. The internals of the tranny looked brand new as well. No out of the ordinary wear or metal shavings.

jeff

2000 Post Club
Uh I got my Ported and Polished X37 installed for $1,100 all in. Taking the time to research options and being willing to jump on used deals and do the work yourself makes a world of difference.

(Full opinion incoming)
I think he was talking about total price when he said $3,000-$4,000 which would include not only the turbo but also the AP, tune, FMIC upgrade, all related accessories for the swap...I highly doubt you got all that for $1,100 but if you did you did very well.

This question has been on my mind for quite some time. That is, whether or not it is "worth it" to upgrade the Fiesta ST's turbocharger. So what do I mean by "worth it"?

Hey Mchris this is a great question that I pondered for 18 months. I see you read my post but now that I'm 2 months in I can share a few quick thoughts...

1. COST
I would really say that if 2/3/4 below click for you then cost will be "worth it" as you say assuming you can pay up. In my case I only buy mods cash, no credit or interest, so that tempers when and what I purchase. I've spent a total of $25,500 on my car, all mods and car included. That's really not bad for a car with this level of power.

2. DRIVING XP
I discussed this at length elsewhere, the bottom line here is that (in my case with the X47) it spools and accelerates just about like stock (with custom tune) until 4,500rpms, then it gets more powerful rather than drop off. Bottom line, before the car could keep up with a Civic Si (quick not fast), now it can keep up with a V8 (fast). While stock turbo mods add a ton of torque they really don't add much power to the car and aren't good for any real speed bump. Looking back I truly realize how slow my stage 3 car was. In my case I drove with stock turbo for nearly 2 years and was ready for more. Yes you're gonna trade one feeling/experience for another but I enjoy the change.

3. UTILIZATION
This is a good point because in order to really get the advantages of the turbo upgrades you're going to be in 3rd and 4th gear. 2nd is awesome but you have to deal with traction issues. I'm using the Cobb Traction control which works quite nice so I am still able to have fun in 2nd gear, but the true fun with a turbo upgrade IMHO happens between 40 and 80ish mph. But daily driving around town is really no different than stock turbo with the X47.

4. RELIABILITY
Like others said these engines/trannies are good well into the 300s so if you're like most of us you're getting about to that spot and quitting with power upgrades. The X47s have been criticized on this forum alot lately because a few have died but it's hardly a widespread problem and fingers crossed it won't become one. Stuff is gonna break, just look at our A/C actuators. 4 or 5 turbos going bad (and some admittedly on higher-than-recommended-by-manufacturer boost and using a not-recommended WGA) isn't a big deal.

without a doubt. my only regrets was the wasted money spent on mountunes' 215/230 kits and their not big enough ic for turbo upgrade. those things would have covered the x37 right off.
...the x37 crap gas tune gets me 220hp on a dyno. (I was in the car.) car gets 32 plus mpg. upgrade turbo has 8k on it, 17k total.
...I see no reason to spring for a Stang, Camaro or other performance oriented car. although not a gt or z it runs as strong as the v6 entry level cars.

1. you can keep the cost down if you do your own work. also browse for used or budget parts. can probably pull off a hybrid and needed mods for $2000-2500. also if you plan on modding the car you're gonna buy atleast an AP and intercooler anyways. then its only $1265 more for fully dressed x47 from pumaspeed.

2. the hybrid drives like stock until you put your foot down. it just keeps pulling until you smack the rev limiter...then you get confused because that was never and issue before lol. i dont track the car, but be easy with the throttle until the wheel is straight.

3. thats exactly why i wanted more power. stock turbo car is a slug trying to pass at highway speeds. you get into arrest me speeds real fast passing slow moving cars now....

4. yet to be determined. 300whp doesnt seem to be a problem in this car. just keep on top of regular maintenance. running on e30 i never see negative corrections at WOT.

$3-4K, jeezus... if only. Mine has been trouble free and enjoyable but it's not exactly the best platform for this kind of power, I probably wouldn't do it again. Perhaps a hybrid kit.

OP
Mchris2725
Thread Starter #11
Thank you everyone for the replies! I am reading them as they come through. For at least the next 6 months, I have decided not to upgrade the turbo in my car. The primary reason is the cost...as I don't have the disposable cash right now. Although eventually, the upgrade will come. Thanks again.

Matt

Any one know what the stock internals can handle? I dont want to build my motor yet but I also daily my car so I need it to be able to handle the power I put into it.

Thanks man just thought I would ask around. I've seen everything from 360hp to 420hp and that's a big jump. Just don't want my car to blow because my dumb ass put a big turbo on it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thanks man just thought I would ask around. I've seen everything from 360hp to 420hp and that's a big jump. Just don't want my car to blow because my dumb ass put a big turbo on it.

Well my Dumbass swore that I would never get a BT....But look here I am with a Gen2 GTX2860r...tuned by Jason@dizzytuning....adding Throttle body injection/ Auxiliary fuel in the spring...hoping for 330-350whp. I Also have all the supporting mods required. Just as it sits right now....It runs like a scalded dawg....[biggrin]

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I was looking at the GTX2860R or the gt2860rs

Buy the Gen2 GTX2860r...you will not be disappointed! I had originally had plans for a GT2554R ...but a smoking deal on a GEN 2 came up with the TIAL BOV. I Couldn't pass it up....Sold the 2554 and got into the GEN2. Couldn't be happier! [raceflag]

Thanks man, there is no modded FiSTs around here ( at least more then an air intake and cat back ) so I ask a lot of questions on here. It's kind of sucks being the most modded FiST in town. I have 2 guys I run with, one had a drop in k&n and the other is stock. Thank God your the VW guys around here or it would be no fun. I got turned away by a ST group here because of my mods wtf.