Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Meet Egg - 100% Daily

OP
M
Thread Starter #22
Well I haven't changed much in a while, but I'll start with some exciting news! Got 1st of 28 in novice AutoX a couple of weeks ago, and today I just got another 1st but now in HS.

I feel like I'm really in great control of the car.

My first run today was with traction control on, mistakenly. But I still managed a time only 1 second slower than my fastest.
My third run was with TC entirely off, not just sport mode, and I got a slightly slower time.

Question 1:
Is the Cobb AP Stage 0 the same as stock? Or should I completely uninstall the AP in order to run HS class legit?

Question 2:
Do I need to worry about flipping my car? I'm still on stock tires and I'm getting up on 3 wheels regularly.

Question 3:
I'm planning on installing the EUDM ST airbox. Is this legal to run in HS as it is a stock ST part?

Preparation 1:
Install 16x7 Rota Slips w RE71Rs.

Preparation 2:
Install EUDM ST Airbox + snorkle

felopr

I really do intend on keeping the car unmodified on the exterior. I have no intention of upgrading the intercooler, or turbo, or injectors, fuel pump, etc. I don't need a fat blowoff sound, I get that from my Boosted NA. However, I *may* go for the E30 stratified tune. I am pretty impressed at the software modifications that increase power on these modern vehicles. My '94 Miata is run on a Megasquirt DIY ECU, which offers greater flexibility at the cost of defined functionality, for most applications.

Welcome, and if you are really thinking of going e30, i would suggest atleast to change the intercooler for a aftermarket out like the whoosh motorsport one, getting like 50+f in charge temp in a single 4th gear pull doesnt help and would negate the e30 benefits. you dont really need to buy another thing, just the intercooler is suficient for this turbo and a DD car

OP
M
Thread Starter #24
Oops! I forgot to add to my post, although I had briefly mentioned before.

So since I got the AP through mountune, it also came with a mountune map, and all of the Cobb maps. I also purchased the e30 tune a while back and it came with a 93 octane map as well.

So..

I have gotten decent seat time to test and offer my opinion of comparison!

Stock:
Well documented.
~35 MPG hwy

Cobb Stage 0:
Feels even more dialed back than stock.. are these tunes identical?

Cobb Stage 1 93 Octane:
Amazing increase of low end torque. Noticeable HP increase throughout. Very smooth and well refined map for my brand new motor.
~35 MPG hwy

Mountune Stage 1 93 Octane:
Very similar to the Cobb, with a little less low end smoothness but I think a little bit more power from mid-high rpm. Not as enjoyable driving casually or spirited, but no real difference here.

Stratified 93 octane:
Feel like they didnt really get this one right..

Stratified E30 tune:
Love it! By far the best bang for your buck power mod. A bit of a hassle tracking down e85, which I thought would be easier here in military city USA. But worth it. I found a station about 10 minutes out of the way and get it anytime i know i won't be travelling or competing (as MPGs are lower and as the tune must be reverted to stock for events) Big loss in mpg but e85 is also cheaper and less harmful to the environment.
~29 MPG hwy

Question:
How to comfortably change maps yourself? I have years of experience editing my own maps using TunerStudio for use with megasquirt standalone ECUs. I'd like to analyze logs and adjust accordingly, making only one small change each time. There is also the OAR to compensate slightly for an overly aggressive tune, but right now all of my maps go straight to -1.00 and stay there.

OP
M
Thread Starter #26
OAR is also used as a buffer for forgiveness for an aggressive tune.

Example. Current Cobb 93 Octane tune always runs at -1. I could lean out some cells to try and make more power or adjust ignition timing advance, wgdc, etc. Suppose I lean some cells out, i achieve a small 1HP bump in power and OAR is still at -1. Maybe I lean cells out massively and OAR jumps straight to +1, indicating knock and an overly aggressive tune. I think the sweet spot may be closer to 0.

Just some ideas for self tuning, something that is far easier than most people realize. The hardest part is cracking the stock ECU and that's a big portion of what you pay for when you buy the AP

OP
M
Thread Starter #27
Got the EUDM ST airbox installed. Has the SAME EXACT part number as the USDM version. I doubt there'll be any contentions in me running this in HS class autox.

Photos for comparison!

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
What did you not like about the Stratified 93 tune? I went from Mountune to Stratified and had to relearn how to drive the car. The Mountune tune is not smooth and the throttle is far from linear or natural. After getting used to it, it made the transition to Stratified quite an adventure in relearning how to be smooth. But Stratified imo is way more natural and linear. Their 93 tune was so much better than Mountune that I quickly got their E30 tune.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
M
Thread Starter #29
I went with Stratified for their E30 tune, but you cant just buy that.. its a 2-pack tune with another octane rating of your choice, I went with 93. And yea, maybe I didnt spend enough time relearning for the stratified 93 tune, but the E30 didnt feel like that was required. I think out of all 3 93OCT tunes, the cobb stage 1 feels the best.

OP
M
Thread Starter #30
Been a while since I last updated. Been loving the car. Installed Eibach rear sway, koni yellows all around, and 16x7 +40 Rota Slipstreams wrapped in 205 50 16 Bridegstone RE71Rs. Last weekend was a very foggy autocross. Got the fastest time in HS and actually beat the fastest GS time by over a second. Inching my way up the PAX list, made it 27 out of 170. Feeling like theres still a lot more tightening up the nut behind the wheel.

Loving it! Egg is egg!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Congratulations on your fast times! New Fist owner here from Central Texas. I am interested in getting into Auto X myself but have no clue where to start. Any pointers?

OP
M
Thread Starter #32
Congratulations on your fast times! New Fist owner here from Central Texas. I am interested in getting into Auto X myself but have no clue where to start. Any pointers?
SASCA and spokes are the closest to my area. Check axware for club listings.

Its cheap and super fun, and can get very competitive. Air your tires up a good bit more than street use, and just have fun!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

OP
M
Thread Starter #33
Well... probably one of my last updates to the forum... mazda is assembling my 2019 miata rag top and when its ready... gonna have to leggo my Eggo

Been one of the best car communities and forums i have ever been on, i mean it. I will miss the FiST greatly, but am excited for the trade offs on what I am getting. The FiST left me wanting from day one.. wanting an LSD, wanting a car that can handle texas summers while hooning, blah blah. I love Egg, but not enough to rationalize sinking another few thousand bucks in to make summer reliable and performance capable, just to be thrown out of the ONE class where it is remotely competitive. I never use the rear seats and hardly the hatch. Most of the time its me and my backpack. I have a POS explorer for lugging shit.

The FiST needed a lower CoG, diff, and a 2 door variant stateside, and a base brand that actually gives a damn about its enthusiast drivers. Mazda checks all the boxes for me.. was definitely more expensive, but resale should be better

That said, what should I be asking or expecting for a sale/trade in offer? My car was ~26-27k MSRP, paid way less. Has every option and some mods. Ill probably revert it back to stock before selling and recoup some parts value.

Anyways, its been awesome seeing yall on the road and across the country up in SLC. Ill be around and hopefully back in one of these in a few years when it wont be my daily, but a full on rally build. Im talking AWD electric baby