Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Light Weight Wheels and why, add yours to the list, read the requirements first

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
AS3s are rated pretty well for snow traction. My only other choice would have been Continental DWSs. But I've had them on another car and I wanted to try something different. Goodyear Eagle somethingorother has good snow traction as well but I think they didn't perform as well everywhere as. I think Tire Rack has a comparison among them all.

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #42
I really should of said the AS3 are not like the DWS in snow but fine for a car with a good driver, etc....they are better the rest of the year:)

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Yeah. I think they'll do fine with the 205 size. First snow, I like to go out and test the car. I'm sure I'll be fine 😁 If push comes to shove, I'll slap some Blizzaks on the OEM wheels.

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #44
They are pretty wide for a 205, my wheels are 7's but wish they were 7.5 or even an 8 but will be OK for my needs, my fun time wheels are 15x9 wrapped in 225 DOT race tires:)

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #46
Looks great!

As you can see they are fairly wide for a 205 but still work well on a 7" wide rim and have much more sidewall that the stock tires.

Let me know how they ride and handle, I have not used mine yet but getting closer as the license plates from Montana arrived today:)

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
I had some time to ride around the block. Initial impression: if I had to quantify, Id say the steering wheel is 25% more responsive. That responsiveness really lends itself over to handling as it's more kart like during driving. At the moment, there's no perceivable delay from input to turn. However, I'm sure of two things: these tires are much more responsive than the OEM, and as time goes on I'll begin to perceive the whatever delay (unresponsive) there may be. I'll be sure to let you know how they are on the highway tomorrow. I'll take her over some bumpy roads too.

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Rick, I have roadside assistance, etc. Is removing the spare tire as a daily worth 20lbs or so?

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
I had some time to ride around the block. Initial impression: if I had to quantify, Id say the steering wheel is 25% more responsive. That responsiveness really lends itself over to handling as it's more kart like during driving. At the moment, there's no perceivable delay from input to turn. However, I'm sure of two things: these tires are much more responsive than the OEM, and as time goes on I'll begin to perceive the whatever delay (unresponsive) there may be. I'll be sure to let you know how they are on the highway tomorrow. I'll take her over some bumpy roads too.
They look really good. What size rims are they? And why didn't you go with a 215 or 225/40? Just wondering.

iso100

1000 Post Club
I'd like to know the offset. I like how they're out farther than factory.

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
They look really good. What size rims are they? And why didn't you go with a 215 or 225/40? Just wondering.
Here's a little story all about how... Ok, so there were a few factors that went into this decision; the main one being that I couldn't find a 215/40 from a manufacturer I esteem, and from a vendor I adore. The second factor was that 225 would have been pretty fat for this little car when the snow comes around. However, I still wanted a little more meat on the tires to fill in the wheel well since I don't want to lower the car. Searching the forums I found that 205/45 was acceptable and I pulled the trigger.

I'd like to know the offset. I like how they're out farther than factory.
They're 42mm, sir.

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #55
I carry a set of repair plugs and a small air compressor and a few tools, did the same in the Vette as run flat tires suck! In some cars I carry a fix a flat can but I would only use those in emergencies and I have never used one. I run great tires and watch were I am going and only had a few flats in 46 years even when tires were crap compared to now.

meFiSTo

Just got my set of Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels yesterday.

• 15x7
  • e42
  • 13.7 lbs (claimed and very light upon inspection, so I don't doubt it)
  • hubcentric
  • anthracite

I put them back in the box and in the garage, waiting on eventual tires. Purchased these for occasional recreational track day usage (2 or 3 times a year). Lots more to do to the car before getting out there with it, but this car will not be set up to go all out. I'll snap a photo on the car at the track (summer 2015 probably).

I figure to run on max performance street tires (DZII or AD08R) so I can drive to the track if I choose and even drive around town on them a bit. R-compounds are possible, but realistically, not practical. Getting to be an old dude. Time to dial it back I think. Have some fun, socialize with the club folks I like, drive it home.

This is a web view of a wheel that looks VERY much like mine:

BTW: Thank you to Chalon at PCA for his patience and help. Great looking wheels (IMHO) and a very fair price.

Harvick

1000 Post Club
These are fairly light.

TRMotorsports FF10

Size: 17x7
Offset: 42mm
Backspacing: 5.629"
Bolt Pattern: 4-108
Rec. Tire Size: 205/40-17
Weight: 14.65lbs.

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #59
The TR is a very low weight 17x7 wheel, it will look more like a 16 possibly with the spoke design but make the brakes look bigger..., I would stick with a 205/45/17 tire for more sidewall support.

Wide tires on not real wide rims only help in acceleration, braking and looks, they can most often degrade the handling.

Skinny tires on really wide rims degrade everything but the looks for those that like the look, which I do not care for so they hurt everything.

Tires just a bit narrower than the wheels, a bit of stretch, will have the best handling feedback and often times grip in corners.

The 205/45/17 PS3 is pretty wide for it's specs but that is how tires are made, there is no true standard in measuring the width, they pretty much just call them what they want. I would like 7.5 or 8.0 for my PS3 tires but none are available in 4x100 unless custom. 4x108 some are but far to heavy.

If I could find some tires like the PS3 in a 205/55/15 or even up to a 225/50/15, etc....I would run 15x8 or 9" wheels to save more weight, I could get a set down to close to 30lbs!

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
I just purchased some OZ Ultraleggera 17 x 7" I'd like to run the BFG Rivals at 215-45-17, but I heard that there are problems with rubbing. What is rubbing, and how can I eliminate it?