Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Light Weight Wheels and why, add yours to the list, read the requirements first

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #121
4x100 conversion, highly recommended.

Track wheels, 15x9, +35mm, 13 lb, roll formed, $124 each, Konig Dial In, 225/45/15 Toyo RA1 DOT race tries
Street wheels, 17x7, _40mm, 16.8 lb, cast, $105 each, Konig Feather, 105/45/17 Mich Pilot Sport AS/3, W rated, absolute best 4(really 3) season tires made.

I really want to run 15" street wheels but getting a set to clear my brakes, the 15x9 is just to wide for the available tires and to wide for inclement weather. I am considering going down to 16's as I can still get the Mich in that size.

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #125
I prefer a slight to moderate stretch over wider tires than wheels which is quite often proven faster on road race tracks but for autocross and other slower events often times the wider tires is faster though usually less precise.

I run 225 slicks on 9" wide wheels, I would run 205 tires on 7.5 or 8's for my needs.

Not many 215 tires made and not sure any sticky street tires in that size in 15".

Let us know if more for looks, ultimate grip on track or autocross, etc....

Rick

Thanks! I swear I've looked through tire rack 100x and could never find them in the right bolt pattern.

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
I got mine used with a 2JRacing catted down pipe for $750.00. When I was looking at tire rack they were out of stock. I ended up powder coating mine performance blue.

I sold my OEM wheels to a focus guy for $400.00

pelotonracer2

1000 Post Club
I got mine used with a 2JRacing catted down pipe for $750.00. When I was looking at tire rack they were out of stock. I ended up powder coating mine performance blue.

I sold my OEM wheels to a focus guy for $400.00
My absolute favorite wheel. I had 18x7s on my Focus SVT. They were a bit prone to bending and especially cracking though. Unfortunately, the 17x7s did not meet my criteria for this car and I did not want to have to pay to have them widened .5". I originally went with 17x7.5 Sport Tuning S9s because they were wider and lighter than stock so I could fit 215/40-17 Dunlop Direzza DII's with minimal sidewall bulging. I did not like the way 215s looked on a 7" wide rim. I'm super picky. lol. I recently switched over to Sport Edition SE-16s in 17x7.5 size and LOVE them. If the O.Z. Ultraleggeras were 17x7.5s, I would have jumped on those like a fly on a terd. LOL [:p]

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #132
After driving around on the 225/45/15 Rival S tires I have to say if you want some incredibly sticky summer tires that ride better than stock and even better than the 025/45/17 Mich PS3 AS tires I have you can get some 15x8 wheels and have some fun and save weight:) The tires are quieter than the Mich as well as ride better, I love them:)

Mine are on 15x9 which has proven to be faster on a road course but they are a bit stretched, which makes them work better, on a 15x8 I think they would look better and still be quite amazing, I would of ran 8's for my street wheels but no 8's fit my DIY BBK. In the end glad I have the 9's as bought 10 of them, 6 for the track, 4 for the street, I might even run all the same tires once I try well worn Rival S on the track so I could have 10 wheels and tires to rotate through:)

For those wanting a BBK, that will take some work to sort out, it is being done by another member, he is waiting on some info from me I have not been able to get just yet but I know what it will take:)

image.jpg

I may go to 4x100 so I can run my Miata setup. 15"x9" 949Racing 6UL's, aluminum valve stems, open end 949Racing lugs, 225/45's

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #134
I have talked with 949 several times and would of used their wheels but will not fit over my 11.75" rotor DIY BBK:(

Note: to run 15x9 in the rear requires a camber change as well as rolling and pulling out the fenders as much as possible, 225 R6 tires did not fit even after all that but 225 RA1 and the Rivals fit.

I changed my camber and toe by cutting the axle flanges loose(all but one corner to help keep them lined up for welding. The brought them in a bit closer, if you use a pending shim kit they will stick out a bit more and probably require more fender work to clear.

I would gladly share with you all I have done to make this work including the 6 F and 4 R piston BBKs using Wilwood calipers and GT rotors(both are serious fab mods, rear more than the front)

VERY nice Miata by the way, I have had 5 or 6 and will always love them:)

How does one go about getting a 4x100 conversion? Did you buy hubs from a different vehicle and swap them? Did you have the stock hubs drilled? Did you also have the rotors drilled? Is it possible to just use rotors from another vehicle with similar measurements? Above all, what's a reasonable estimate on cost?

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #137
Yep, Gunrunner can take care of you with the 4x100 conversion, thanks for posting the link.

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #139
You can redrill rotors pretty easily yourself as they do not need to be perfect, just big enough to fit over the studs as the rotors are hub centric;)

I paid a machine shop to drill the hubs, which should be done that way, and the rotors before I realized I could of done them myself.

I have two drill presses, in storage now but it can be done with a hand drill then clean up the edges to reduce stress points.

Isn't it entirely feasible to buy rotors from a different vehicle? I mean, I sincerely doubt every vehicle has its own set of rotors. Something out there is rolling around on the same size rotors with a different bolt pattern.