Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Mountune radiator install notes

I installed the Mountune radiator in my 2016 FiST b/c the car was running too hot during normal -- i.e., non-track -- use. I thought I'd share some thoughts and photos of the install in case it's helpful to anyone considering a radiator upgrade.

Much cooler

First off, the Mountune radiator resulted in an enormous improvement in cooling. It's hard to replicate exact conditions when making comparisons, but to give a sense: On Friday with my stock radiator, coolant temps hit 225+ just driving around town with the A/C off. Granted, it was 110 outside. Saturday, with the Mountune radiator in 105 degree temps and the A/C on, the temps never got above 192. I'm guessing this is a greater improvement than usual b/c my stock radiator seems clearly defective since it could overheat daily driving. But my experience is consistent with that of others who have reported good results with the Mountune radiator.

Installation

It took 8.5 hours from start to finish. It was the first time I ever installed a radiator, and I did a little lollygagging. I did the install by myself with the exception of reattaching the crash beam and intercooler assembly, where two friends helped. I previously installed a Mishimoto J-Line intercooler to the car as well as a front tow hook, so I have removed the bumper cover assembly previously (a bunch of times, actually). That made the radiator install go quicker b/c I was familiar with the location and sizes of fasteners, etc.

Mishimoto has a very good installation video for their radiator, which I watched twice in preparation. Highly recommended.

For the install, I used a floor jack and four jack stands. (Though it doesn't look like it in the photos, the car is supported by two jack stands in front.) To remove the crash beam and intercooler assembly, I supported it with the floor jack and then removed the bolts. After removing it completely, I supported the condenser (which is attached by hard A/C lines) with jack stands. I did this alone. If you jack your car up higher than I did, you would be able to use buckets instead of jack stands. Reassembly could be made easier if you separate the intercooler from the crash beam. (The J-Line intercooler is pretty heavy.)

Quality radiator, and that's it

The Mountune radiator really is a direct-fit, drop-in replacement. Note: Mountune provides zero documentation or installation instructions. Your $470 buys a radiator, a sticker, and the box + foam packing. That's fine, but don't forget to transfer the small air bleeder nipple from the top inside of the stock radiator to the Mountune. Same goes for the two rubber washers on the radiator's top mounting posts, which I neglected to notice until the install was complete.

Shroud fitment

As you can (sort of) see in the photos, there is a sizable gap between the shroud and the radiator, especially along the passenger side. This gap was there with the stock radiator, and I have a suspicion that the poor fitment and lack of seal contributes to the trouble my car had keeping cool while in stop-and-go traffic. Ford 'addresses' the problem by stuffing flimsy foam around the edges, which rotted and fell off. So I sealed the edges with Self-Stick Foam/Foil Duct Insulation from Home Depot. I actually don't like this stuff b/c the foil separates from the foam, but I had it laying around, and I figured I'd experiment to see if it will stick.

Cost to have a professional install the radiator

Mountune will install the radiator for $350, if you go to them in Carson, CA. They said it's a 4-5 hour job for them. When I called around locally -- I'm in Northern California -- I was quoted as low as $180 and as high as $600. A local Ford dealer said they would do it for $336. The low-cost quotes were from places that were the least familiar with the FiST, and I suspect they weren't aware of how involved the installation is. The $600 quote was from a shop that specializes in Fords. The guy I talked to was (I think) basing the price on the official Ford book that indicates how long repairs take and how they are done. So my sense -- and I'm speculating -- is that while it may be possible to remove and reinstall the radiator from below (I read somewhere that that is how Mountune does it, though I have no verification that that's true), the usual way is by removing the front of the car, which is, for professionals, a 4 to 5-hour job.

mRadOnJacks.jpg

Car up on jack stands at 9 a.m.

mRadBumperRemove.jpg

Front bumper cover removed.

mRadJackRemove.jpg

Supporting the crash beam and intercooler assembly before removing the eight bolts holding it in place.

mRadFrontGone.jpg

Crash beam and intercooler assembly, which you can see on the left in the background, removed. The condenser and radiator are supported by the jack stands.

mRadShroud.jpg

Shroud and fan assembly detached from stock radiator.

mRadGaps.jpg

Mountune radiator attached to shroud and fan assembly. The gap between the two is pretty sizable in places, which you can sort of see toward the bottom of the photo. This is the fault of the shroud, not the Mountune radiator.

mRadSeal.jpg

Gaps between the Mountune radiator and shroud sealed with Self-Stick Foam/Foil Duct Insulation. This may fall apart and make a big mess over time. We'll see.

mRadDone.jpg

Mountune radiator attached to condenser and ready for reinstallation. Everything was done by 5:30 p.m.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Yes, A BIG THANK YOU for this as well. [thumb]

If I were in there already, I would have changed out the radiator hoses to Mountune's silicone deals, and the Turbosmart constant tension clamps, which I am considering doing even before I change out my factory radiator, if it is not too impossible to get to them. ;)

HardBoiledEgg

1000 Post Club
I'm debating havibg them do it

I do all my own work but not looking forward to the install of this lol

OP
S
Thread Starter #7
I'm debating havibg them do it

I do all my own work but not looking forward to the install of this lol
Yeah, I think $350 to have Mountune install could be money well spent, depending on whether one has more money vs. more time. I strongly considered it, but the cost + the 800 mile round-trip drive to Carson (for me) were too much. A radiator installation isn't all that interesting (or custom) and I never find dealing with coolant fun, and I always make a mess, so there are those considerations, but people have different preferences in these matters.

OP
S
Thread Starter #8
Yes, A BIG THANK YOU for this as well. [thumb]

If I were in there already, I would have changed out the radiator hoses to Mountune's silicone deals, and the Turbosmart constant tension clamps, which I am considering doing even before I change out my factory radiator, if it is not too impossible to get to them. ;)
I don't think replacing the upper and lower radiator hoses would be too difficult with the car fully assembled. I used long bent-nose pliers to open the constant-tension hose clamps on the radiator hoses, which are very tight and effective.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I don't think replacing the upper and lower radiator hoses would be too difficult with the car fully assembled. I used long bent-nose pliers to open the constant-tension hose clamps on the radiator hoses, which are very tight and effective.
I will have to look at it closer and then decide.

IF I do re-use the factory spring clamps, I will get a pair of those remote spring hose clamp pliers from Craftsman, or the like, so that job is not impossible.

The Turbosmart clamps are NOT like the factory spring clamps, but are actual worm gear clamps which are constant tension due to a corrugated spring-like portion of it's outer band, which stretches slightly as you tighten the worm gear bolt. ;)

Great thread - this is what we need more of! Thank you for taking the time to make it. I got my Mishi radiator installed by a Mishi products dealer and it cost me $400 out the door which I though was worth it. The guy did say it was his first time installing one on a FiST and would probably charge more for the next if he gets one so it seems like I got a pretty good deal.

OP
S
Thread Starter #12
Great thread - this is what we need more of! Thank you for taking the time to make it. I got my Mishi radiator installed by a Mishi products dealer and it cost me $400 out the door which I though was worth it. The guy did say it was his first time installing one on a FiST and would probably charge more for the next if he gets one so it seems like I got a pretty good deal.
Thanks! For what it's worth, I find that if I just take a few photos with my phone when I'm doing a project without trying to document what I'm doing in a step-wise fashion, then it doesn't slow me down or add any time to the repair/mod. Then if I want to write something up afterward, I can.

Time is what I don't have. But money is also what I don't have lol decisions
It honestly was not bad at all. I had a friend help with the crash beam but that was about. I think it took me 6ish hours taking my time. Its not a difficult installation it is just time consuming.

[MENTION=6023]shawn36[/MENTION] great write up! I was going to do the same thing, I remembered to take pics when I was near finished. Too late! lol

OP
S
Thread Starter #15
It honestly was not bad at all. I had a friend help with the crash beam but that was about. I think it took me 6ish hours taking my time. Its not a difficult installation it is just time consuming.
I agree. It looks daunting when you see the car with its face pulled off, but the Mishimoto video gives all the steps, and you aren't disassembling anything that isn't meant to be disassembled, so the car isn't fighting you. But it takes time and some patience, e.g., the first time I removed the headlights (for a different project), it took me forever b/c, while there are only three fasteners for each, you have to tug on the headlight in a particular way to get it out and it felt (to me) like I was going to break something. Getting the headlights back in was also a pain at first. So how long it takes someone to do the radiator may have a lot to do with how much of the car they have pulled apart previously. But it doesn't take any particular skill or mechanical know-how.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
So wouldn't it be easier to remove the Bumper just to have alittle more access to the radiator area? I am looking into this all now as I have ordered the Mountune radiator and some hoses. My temps haven't gotten super hot like some others...I think I'm just lucky I guess...so I thought....why not? I can do it when I install my Aux. fuel and have the intake manifold off and give my self alittle more room!

Dib

I did this, with a cooler thermo and oil cooler at the same time. If you're doing the thermo, be extra careful pulling it from the motor, i snapped one of the arms off the housing and had to order a new one. I think this is one of the best things to do DIY, if you have a free weekend. Like Shawn36 said, it's pretty straight forward and the video is wonderful, and it gives you a very good understanding of how the car is put together. My coolant temps went from overheating-while-idling-in-the-shade to rarely going over 200 and most i've seen is 225.