Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

ST200 airbox vs stock box

green_henry

1000 Post Club
Am I seeing things, or does the Mountune airbox not have a HUGE intake hole that the ST200 does not?
https://cdn3.volusion.com/rnmwa.rjxsk/v/vspfiles/photos/2364-CAIS-AA-2.jpg?v-cache=1394710558

Since the Mountune unit re-uses the upper half of the stock airbox, it seems equally "stealthy" to me. I understand the concerns about aluminum vs plastic, but doesn't that larger intake hole more than compensate for that?

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Am I seeing things, or does the Mountune airbox not have a HUGE intake hole that the ST200 does not?
https://cdn3.volusion.com/rnmwa.rjxsk/v/vspfiles/photos/2364-CAIS-AA-2.jpg?v-cache=1394710558

Since the Mountune unit re-uses the upper half of the stock airbox, it seems equally "stealthy" to me. I understand the concerns about aluminum vs plastic, but doesn't that larger intake hole more than compensate for that?
This is the video I made on the ST200 airbox. The ST200 airbox would be easier to install. You don't have to remove the OEM front snorkel like you have to on the Mountune. That big hole you are seeing on the front is where the OEM snorkel connects to. The ST200 air box comes with that already attached.
View: https://youtu.be/DHgMcEiqhug

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

green_henry

1000 Post Club
This is the video I made on the ST200 airbox. The ST200 airbox would be easier to install. You don't have to remove the OEM front snorkel like you have to on the Mountune. That big hole you are seeing on the front is where the OEM snorkel connects to. The ST200 air box comes with that already attached.
View: https://youtu.be/DHgMcEiqhug
Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk
D'oh! didn't realize that the snorkel inlet was that big! Thanks!

If you have time with the st200 you can buy a flexible hose off eBay and route it to the foglight on the drivers side. That's how I have it run.

"I've been told that if I make one more offensive remark, anywhere, at anytime I will be sacked. Even the Angel Gabriel would struggle with that hanging over his head." ~ Jeremy Clarkson
Is there a way to keep the fog light and hole saw a hole next to the foglight via the fascia? I,m contemplating that idea, a hybrid of your setup. Looks sweet! My modified airbox.

Attachments

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
exactly
I like the Mountune box and have used it. The ST200 box listed on my site now is more than $50 less than Mountune, is 100% stock looking compared to Mountune, is plastic vs. aluminum which won't heat up like an oven.

Best of all there is no "hacking" compared to Post #1. Some people enjoy DIY work on their cars, others like factory fit parts. The ST200 box will fit like your OEM box does.
I don't live in Vegas, but heat soak is not a big deal with either. If it's hot enough, and you're not moving enough, you'll get heat soak, even if you wrap it in gold.
Not only does the ST200 box cost less and look stock, it IS stock. And it comes with a brand new snorkel and a stock filter.
You have to take the snorkel out of the stock box and install it in the mountune box, and it's a bit of a PITA. It's already there on the ST200.

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
The ST200/mountune airbox was developed for rally racing. It's a great design.

It uses the front intake, along with a true CAI through the porous hose that goes into the space under the fog light.

If you drive through some creek-deep water, as rally racers sometimes do, the porous hose will not let water get drawn up into the intake, since the front is also drawing in air.

The best real world CAI design, but some people want more whooshy intake sounds, and that's OK, too.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
The ST200/mountune airbox was developed for rally racing. It's a great design.

It uses the front intake, along with a true CAI through the porous hose that goes into the space under the fog light.

If you drive through some creek-deep water, as rally racers sometimes do, the porous hose will not let water get drawn up into the intake, since the front is also drawing in air.

The best real world CAI design, but some people want more whooshy intake sounds, and that's OK, too.
I have the ST200 been running it for several years now. I got a crossover pipe and intake hose mated to it. Once I went upgraded turbo I get plenty of whooshy sounds in fact I was gonna put an ITG Maxogen on because I got a deal on a used one . Though I have decided the car is probably loud enough without it and looks stock.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
My car never made any intake noises at all when factory stock with just a GFB DV.

Now, with the ST200 box installed, it definitely makes some 'chirps' or 'R2D2 type sounds' which I can hear even with my horrid hearing (and that's about all I would ever want as far as intake noise goes, as I don't appreciate the loud 'spool', or jet engine sounds like everyone else does [wink]).

ronmcdon

have the St200 box w/ whoosh intake & crossover pipe, itg drop in filter. stock turbo. maybe I'm deaf, but could not notice a whole lot. in terms of aftermarket intakes this was by far the most subtle in terms of sound, which I really don't mind.

later add turbosmart em plumpback (don't want to call too much attention). just sounded like car had squeaky gas pedal.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
have the St200 box w/ whoosh intake & crossover pipe, itg drop in filter. stock turbo. maybe I'm deaf, but could not notice a whole lot. in terms of aftermarket intakes this was by far the most subtle in terms of sound, which I really don't mind.

later add turbosmart em plumpback (don't want to call too much attention). just sounded like car had squeaky gas pedal.
What I found gave me more blowoff valve sound was putting on the Mountune J pipe in place of the factory baffle noodle hotside pipe.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
What I found gave me more blowoff valve sound was putting on the Mountune J pipe in place of the factory baffle noodle hotside pipe.
I have this, and their charge hoses, waiting to go on whenever I get the opportunity to install the CP-E IC, after the factory power train warranty is done.

The sound increase must VERY subtle, no??

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I have this, and their charge hoses, waiting to go on whenever I get the opportunity to install the CP-E IC, after the factory power train warranty is done.

The sound increase must VERY subtle, no??
Ya its not crazy obnoxious. Its noticeable but not in your face. It’s just a bit more of oh ya this car has a turbocharger vs stock I can’t hear shit .

I have ST200 airbox and green filter, and aftermarket piping including the elbow to the stock turbo. Sound wise its still subtle but perfect for me. Windows down you get solid BOV style noises on throttle closing, not sure if it's very noticeable outside the car as I haven't heard it. I am certainly not snapping necks and subtle was the goal.

The piping and any sort of hybrid open air box but not "filter on a stick intakes" give a little turbo spool and BOV noise but not much. Enough to for me to be reminded what I have, maybe not enough to everybody else.

Maybe a little throttle response, maybe a couple horsepowers, these are sharpen and turn the car up to 10.5-11 mods. Relatively inexpensive, fun little day projects that round horsepower,

For me the OEM+ design and fitment, and arguably the best design for true cold air are the big draw to me for this type of "boring" intake design. Mountune and Cobb basically copied the design I think and in this case more plastic and OEM is good.

They hold their value well, if you decide you want more racket, re-sell and get a more open intake.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Mountune and Cobb basically copied the design I think and in this case more plastic and OEM is good.

They hold their value well, if you decide you want more racket, re-sell and get a more open intake.
Mountune did not copy it they prototyped it for Ford. The Mountune was out prior to the ST200 and Ford just took Mountunes design and made the lower box plastic vs Mountune metal otherwise its the same Airbox.

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
Mountune did not copy it they prototyped it for Ford. The Mountune was out prior to the ST200 and Ford just took Mountunes design and made the lower box plastic vs Mountune metal otherwise its the same Airbox.
Ford has the option to make any mountune part. Mountune designed and made it first. It's a great real-world design.

I have the full US intake kit, now, with a stock exhaust and symposer delete. Let me describe the sound, as best I can.

Stock, you need the symposer to know the engine is boosting. Not anymore.

With the full banana intake, it reminds me of the old V8 big blocks of my childhood. Engines they put in Vista Cruisers and such, back in the day, when gasoline contained lead.

There's a whoosh to it all. Everybody who changes their intake gets more whoosh noises, but this just sounds so deep and satisfying. I'm sure that any aftermarket crossover pipe works just as well, but the cast aluminum gives it a sound I almost described.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Ford has the option to make any mountune part. Mountune designed and made it first. It's a great real-world design.

I have the full US intake kit, now, with a stock exhaust and symposer delete. Let me describe the sound, as best I can.

Stock, you need the symposer to know the engine is boosting. Not anymore.

With the full banana intake, it reminds me of the old V8 big blocks of my childhood. Engines they put in Vista Cruisers and such, back in the day, when gasoline contained lead.

There's a whoosh to it all. Everybody who changes their intake gets more whoosh noises, but this just sounds so deep and satisfying. I'm sure that any aftermarket crossover pipe works just as well, but the cast aluminum gives it a sound I almost described.
Ya I am running a Whoosh crossover with the Mountune Hose and the ST200 airbox on my S280 with a Mountune Sportcat downpipe and Thermal R&D and the car is nice a throaty and has a very powerful sound to it.
I saw the pipe SY90 put up that you bought and was gonna move on it but you snagged congrats I am envious.

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
Ya I am running a Whoosh crossover with the Mountune Hose and the ST200 airbox on my S280 with a Mountune Sportcat downpipe and Thermal R&D and the car is nice a throaty and has a very powerful sound to it.
I saw the pipe SY90 put up that you bought and was gonna move on it but you snagged congrats I am envious.
I think it's interesting that mountune just recently started selling this part for American FiSTs. The car is discontinued, but they figured they'd profit by making this part for a car you can't buy new anymore.

It's expensive. The power gain is minor, but it's there. Not any better than any other crossover mechanically, but it's just so pretty. I open the hood, and I like what I see. I start it, and I like what I hear.

IMG_0245.jpg

Last edited:
I almost bought the ST200 airbox and never really even looked at the Mountune since it was pretty expensive. After reading more of this thread I happened to look yesterday and I saw that the mountune airbox is on sale for $249 right now and if you use code "summer20" you save another 49.80 so that brings it down to 199.20 shipped. I also had 3000 mountune points from my rad and hose purchase so I got it for 169.20 shipped which was a no brainer for me and a pretty smokin deal.