Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

15" Tire Size Recommendation?

I have a 2019 ST, and I just bought a set of 15" alloy wheels off of a 16 Fiesta for some snow tires. What tire size should I get the snow tires in? Thanks!

SteveS

1000 Post Club
The original tires are 23.5" diameter.

Either 185/60, which is the size of your spare tire (diameter 23.7"), or 195/55 (diameter 23.4") or 205/55 (diameter 23.9"), or 205/50 (diameter 23.1") would work.

The original tires are 23.5" diameter.

Either 185/60, which is the size of your spare tire (diameter 23.7"), or 195/55 (diameter 23.4") or 205/55 (diameter 23.9"), or 205/50 (diameter 23.1") would work.
175/65 should be gd too right ?

They are on sale for 300 at tirerack that's the only reason I am thinking about.
Right now I have Focal wheels with stock size Blizzaks and the ride is too stiff for my liking lol

SteveS

1000 Post Club
I got Yokohama Iceguards 185/60-15 from them for $85 apiece plus a $60 rebate last month. Look for a deal like that. The 185/60-15 definitely smooths the impacts, but you definitely notice the reduced grip on dry roads.

Cooper Evo is on sale too but not enough reviews on it.The 175/65 shows a ride height gain of about 7mm.And its one of the sizes in the sticky thread.

175/65/15 is 10mm or ~1/2" narrower than 185. The same arguments can be made about any incremental reduction. 175 wouldn't be my first choice (for the record I bought 195/55/15 Viking Contact7, will trying them shortly), but if I found a great deal on craigslist I wouldn't outright reject it. The ride height reduction is half of the diameter change. If we're talking about a 23.0" vs. 24.0" tire, the ride height will differ by .5" and the gap between the tire and the fender will change by .5". Since the OEM size is in the middle, we're talking about half that difference. Each manufacturer's tire will differ a bit from the theoretical diameter and widths, but you can look up the specs if you want to know. Tire rack shows Cooper Evolution winters 176/65/15 as having a 23.1" diameter. I don't think I've ever seen such a large a difference between the theoretical and actual.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
But I wouldn't think you would want to go less than the 185 section width.
IF you were going to be constantly going through deep snow, or on solid ice (with metal in the tires, of course), you might want a 175 section width.

There are a couple of FiSTs competing in ARA gravel rallies with 175/65-15 size gravel tires, but they are using a 15x6 max width wheel for those, and most likely are doing this for the fender well full travel/compression clearance that size gives over the 'usual' 185/65-15, or the way too tall for our rides, 205/65-15 'standard'. [wink]

I put the tires on today and went for a drive. It was dry, just above freezing and I was a bit disappointed. IMO the best thing about the FiST is the hyperactive handling responsiveness and corner turn in. The winters dulled it a bit more than I expected. Obviously winters have more tread squirm, but I suspect the profile contributed to the issue as well. I have 6.5" wheels, which are the widest in spec for the Conti 195/55/15. I'd suggest trying 16" or 17" if you can. The Contis had good reviews, but I'm wondering if something else would be better... I liked the Michelin X-Ice3 and Bridgestone WS80s on other cars, but they don't feel quite like a FiST, so it's not an apples to apples comparison.

SteveS

1000 Post Club
They are snow tires. You have to expect the difference just from that. Even if you stay with the same size, they won't have the responsiveness you're used to from the OEM tires. With my Mk. 1 Fiesta you noticed it going from the OEM 155SR12 Michelins XZX's to 155R12 Gislaved Frosts. And I found the same with my First generation MR2 going from the OEM Toyos to Pirelli snows same size.

If you want better dry performance in winter, the alternative is to go with all season tires. But you're still going to lose the razor sharpness of turn-in if you increase the rubber height at all.

I did last winter in a 6th gen Camaro SS (ie. faster around a road course than a Audi R8 V10+, while being down on power) and a RX-8 for a decade prior to that. I expected turn in urgency to be diminished, I'm just surprised how much it changed. I don't consider all seasons to prudent where I live. I already run 16" summers. I don't have a sample of tires selections and sizes to try on this particular car, but if I were to do it over again, I'd try a 16" winter tire size, although those are limited. Maybe I'd do a performance winter instead, although I'm a bit hesitant about those.

Last edited:

CSM

1000 Post Club
FWIW I have ran 205/40/17 Blizzaks for years and just switched to 185/55/15 Conti VIking Contacts this season and the Blizzaks were BY FAR more squirmy. Just FYI

CSM

1000 Post Club
I think its compound related. WS80s are an older tire and the Contis are a newer winter tire. Haven't had the Contis in serious snow yet but my WS80s were BEASTS

But don't get me wrong, I wouldn't call either experience exactly a "sporty" feel lol. Its just not gonna happen on winters.

OP
M
Thread Starter #19
Lmao. Look at what I started...For those keeping score, I went with 195/55/15. Michelin X ice 3. I bought a set for my 2000 Subaru 2.5 RS almost 10 years ago. It's a love/hate relationship because they have too much grip in the snow, which prevented me from having fun. I guess that's what happens as you get older, trading fun for safety. I do love them, though, and they still have probably half tread-life left. I'd say I got my money's worth. Anyway, I am very anti-social on this online medium forum thing (opposite of real-life, somehow), so I really appreciate everyone's input, especially Steve and CSM who quelled my existential despair.

Tire rack put up their winter tire test. Based on this, I suspect I picked the right tire of the group, but it's bothering me more than normal to be on winter tires (see tire rack quote below). I suspect it's just that the FiST is so nimble that the difference is more noticeable. I'm still curious if a 16" or 17" would improve things.

The VikingContact 7, on the other hand, featured fast reflexes that lent an eager, almost sporty feel to the vehicle. It only required light effort to elicit a response, particularly right around center, which divided our team's opinions.