Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Grind from 1st to 2nd only under hard acceleration

Hey all,
So I just recently upgraded to Cobb stage 1. I have a Cobb rear motor mount and an injen cold air intake(this doesn't really matter in this context). It's only when I push it in first gear and shift into second that the grinding happens, however if I wait a couple seconds before putting it into 2nd, it won't grind. Any ideas on what could be happening??
Thanks

OP
D
Thread Starter #5
What should I be looking for as far as shifter cables I don't know how to adjust a shifter cable

Hey all,
So I just recently upgraded to Cobb stage 1. I have a Cobb rear motor mount and an injen cold air intake(this doesn't really matter in this context). It's only when I push it in first gear and shift into second that the grinding happens, however if I wait a couple seconds before putting it into 2nd, it won't grind. Any ideas on what could be happening??
Thanks
Sorry to bring up an old post, but did you ever figure out what the issue was? I'm currently experiencing the same problem, and plan on giving the cable adjustment a go. My shifter has a slight play in it also so I'm hoping that's all it is. The car I had before my FiSt had it's transmission blow after a whole 67 miles of ownership, so I guess you could say transmission issues scare me lol. It happens when I shift from 1-2 on spirited runs, and rarely but also faintly does it happen on shifting 2-3. I fear it's the syncros, but hope the cable is the cause. Thanks in advanced!

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Sorry to bring up an old post, but did you ever figure out what the issue was? I'm currently experiencing the same problem, and plan on giving the cable adjustment a go. My shifter has a slight play in it also so I'm hoping that's all it is. The car I had before my FiSt had it's transmission blow after a whole 67 miles of ownership, so I guess you could say transmission issues scare me lol. It happens when I shift from 1-2 on spirited runs, and rarely but also faintly does it happen on shifting 2-3. I fear it's the syncros, but hope the cable is the cause. Thanks in advanced!
Change the Fluid first just for POOPS.....Its worth the $20-30 dollars for 2 qts of fluid. I run the Ravenol 75w80 that meets ford spec....made shifting less notchy and nice & smooth. Food for thought Vs. taking the trans apart.[party]

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
Slow down your shifting. Probably just faster on the clutch than your arm on the shifter.

Change the Fluid first just for POOPS.....Its worth the $20-30 dollars for 2 qts of fluid. I run the Ravenol 75w80 that meets ford spec....made shifting less notchy and nice & smooth. Food for thought Vs. taking the trans apart.[party]
Definitely what I was also considering doing before taking it in to the dealer.

Slow down your shifting. Probably just faster on the clutch than your arm on the shifter.

It only happens after the shifter in in gear and when I disengage the clutch pedal. I’m hoping that it’s the cable adjustment because I do have some movement in my shifter.

https://youtu.be/ck6C1sFVOeU

I was able to get a video of the sound as best I could. I tried the cable adjustment and no dice on that. I’ve just been waiting for a good day to do a fluid flush. You can hear the sound in question at 0:06. Sorry if it came out like a potato was used to record. I’ve just been driving around my city and thought “hey why not try to get a video.”