Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Feeling defeated exhaust install

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I'm really greatful for this thread. I had been leaning towards the cp-e exhaust but now, not so much. I think that there is little hp to be gained with a cat-back system over stock, and perhaps a bit more torque, but that the real gain is in the sound department. It makes me pause when people post about droning or boominess or issues with fitment. For me the answer might just be the AP with a Stratified e30 tune, and a FMIC if I see consistently raised intake temps over ambient here in the Midwest with the kind of driving I do most of the time. I know my 2017 FiST will not sound nearly as good as it can from the outside, but on the inside I can leave the symposer hooked up and fool myself into thinking the car is sounding great. [screwy]
On the factory snail at least, there is ZERO power to be gained with ANY exhaust mods, including the ever-popular no catcon, large aftermarket down pipes.

You are correct, the 'sound' is ALL you will gain, along with nicer looking/bigger outlet tips than factory stock.

I generally like my Nexus system (and most everything from CP-E), but, IF I were buying a system RIGHT NOW, it would be the Thermal for sure. ;)

OP
DangerMouse

DangerMouse

Thread Starter #42
Yep I bought it just for the sound, my inner ricer is making me suffer now hahaha. I also have cpe intake and fmic, so why not their exhaust.

It really has me curious if it's the exhaust or me, I wish we could all ride in each others cars.

It really has me curious if it's the exhaust or me, I wish we could all ride in each others cars.
Haha I was thinking the same exact thing! I want to hear all the exhaust options in real life, the internet does no justice to what they really sound like.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Yeah I went in fully knowing that a full exhaust would do nothing for power, but hey, loud noises obviously mean you're going faster /s haha

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
The thermal exhaust is a 2.5 at the downpipe right? Preparing for the mrx kit.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Is anyone else noticing any oxidation/corrosion (NOT just road grime/dirt staining of the finish) around the hanger rod welds, or even on the hangers themselves on the Nexus system?

I am starting to worry that maybe CP-E did not use stainless welding rods when attaching the hangers to the pipes, unless it is their bead blasted, "Titan" finish which makes the surface much more prone to any oxidation/rust formation? [dunno]

Is anyone else noticing any oxidation/corrosion (NOT just road grime/dirt staining of the finish) around the hanger rod welds, or even on the hangers themselves on the Nexus system?

I am starting to worry that maybe CP-E did not use stainless welding rods when attaching the hangers to the pipes, unless it is their bead blasted, "Titan" finish which makes the surface much more prone to any oxidation/rust formation? [dunno]
I haven't noticed but I also haven't been under the car in a while...I'll be under it soon enough and take a look for sure though!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

i'll look the next time I get under the car to add a stiffer hangar to the cat section.

OP
DangerMouse

DangerMouse

Thread Starter #49
Talking to a friend of mine who has had a few exhaust systems on his wrx, asked if I was still having issues. He asked if it has a resonator, I said yes. He said to get rid of it, in his experience the resonator can cause it to be boomy and drone. Thoughts?

I'm conflicted on if I should go back to stock, remove resonator, add a muffler (which probably won't accomplish what I need) or get a different system.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Talking to a friend of mine who has had a few exhaust systems on his wrx, asked if I was still having issues. He asked if it has a resonator, I said yes. He said to get rid of it, in his experience the resonator can cause it to be boomy and drone. Thoughts?

I'm conflicted on if I should go back to stock, remove resonator, add a muffler (which probably won't accomplish what I need) or get a different system.
Kansei on here had the CP-E resonator delete pipe on his Nexus system, and claimed that it was totally UNBEARABLE most of the time (like quick hearing loss level loud!).

Again, IF I ever have the coin (or 'catch up' on my necessary mod list), I will get the Thermal system IF it is even still around at that time (re; our car being dead). [:(] [wink]

He said to get rid of it, in his experience the resonator can cause it to be boomy and drone. Thoughts?
The purpose of the resonator, on most cars at least, is to eliminate drone while the main muffler decreases overall engine exhaust noise. Remove the resonator at your own risk, but many people like the result. Worst case you can always reinstall it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
I'm very tossed up between the thermal and cp-e systems. I hear one could get the thermal with a 3 inch adapter for the dp. If it was only a 2.5 it would be out of the running for me. And I hear the sound of the cp-e is awsome but idk with a catless dp.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

A note to folks that are taking off their exhaust. If the car is anything but brand new do not attempt to loosen the nuts. Its much easier to use a Dremel will a small cut off wheel to cut most of the way through the side of the nut and nock it with a chisel to split it. Or you could use a nut splitter (but i have not done this).
the studs are stainless so they should be in very good shape its the nut that causes all the trouble. I replaced my nuts with brass ones so i will never have an issue in the future. Please do not use stainless nuts as a replacement as its a lesson that you will quickly regret if you ever have to take them off.

More accurately, stainless galls. Unless you put it together with antiseize, theres a good chance they'll gall while tightening them anyway. You should be replacing the studs and nuts every time anyway.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk