Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Feeling defeated exhaust install

DangerMouse

I am getting too old to be crawling around on the garage floor. I need a lift.

One of the nuts is trashed, didn't want to come off, it finally did. Looks like the threads on the dp are boogered.

Installing the aftermarket system didn't go any better. The rear section wouldn't stay together (slip fit) so I couldn't get the system bolted up to the dp to even attempt to adjust it.

Arrrrg I finally gave up. It was supposed to be an easy install, only two nuts and a couple pipes right. Fiiick

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account

One of the nuts is trashed, didn't want to come off, it finally did. Looks like the threads on the dp are boogered.

Installing the aftermarket system didn't go any better. The rear section wouldn't stay together (slip fit) so I couldn't get the system bolted up to the dp to even attempt to adjust it.

Arrrrg I finally gave up. It was supposed to be an easy install, only two nuts and a couple pipes right. Fiiick

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

OP
DangerMouse

DangerMouse

Thread Starter #6
what exhaust are you installing?
Just curious....
Cpe purchased from you. I was trying not to mention the brand. Oh well. Nothing against the quality of the system, it's glorious. Just difficult to install by yourself laying under the car with very little room.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
This why I let the local tuner shop install my Nexus system (even though the car was only 3 months old at the time, and was only exposed to salt one time), since if THEY broke or stripped the down pipe studs they would be able to fix it on the spot instead of me tying up the car for DAYS waiting on parts.

I also only had 2 jack stands to work with.

How old is, and how many salt soup midwestern winters did the down pipe/factory system go through?

OP
DangerMouse

DangerMouse

Thread Starter #8
This why I let the local tuner shop install my Nexus system (even though the car was only 3 months old at the time, and was only exposed to salt one time), since if THEY broke or stripped the down pipe studs they would be able to fix it on the spot instead of me tying up the car for DAYS waiting on parts.

I also only had 2 jack stands to work with.

How old is, and how many salt soup midwestern winters did the down pipe/factory system go through?

I tried going to the local tuner / performance shop but they refused me. German cars only. Guess they don't like money.

A tad over 7,000 miles and one winter.

I hear you dude. I crawled my fat ass under my last car (Sentra Spec V) more times than I'd like to admit to swap out exhausts. I paid the local exhaust shop to install my CBE on the FiST because I am too old/fat for that nonsense.

haste

1000 Post Club
I had an alignment rack to work from when I replaced a bunch of stuff at once.

My co-worker did the exhaust while I did the intercooler and he was cussing the entire time. =D It seems the exhaust on these little beasts can be a little tough to get installed easily.

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
Cpe purchased from you. I was trying not to mention the brand. Oh well. Nothing against the quality of the system, it's glorious. Just difficult to install by yourself laying under the car with very little room.
no worries
exhaust work isn't fun
even with a lift

so what's your plan?

OP
DangerMouse

DangerMouse

Thread Starter #13
At the shop now. Driving with open dp is awful.

Both studs on the dp have to be replaced. I knew I should of bought the cpe dp at the same time.

This better sound amazing to be worth this trouble.

You're not the only one, and you won't be the last. My car was apart for over a week to get the turbo back on. Folks think getting the factory oil filter off is a pain, but they haven't had to try the dp bolts yet...

OP
DangerMouse

DangerMouse

Thread Starter #16
Ha I don't even do my own oil changes anymore. I really want to go mountune turbo and dp but I'm thinking I'll wait to find help for all that. Up to this point I have had good luck doing everything myself. It's on, I'm happy, on to the next mod!

The key to a full exhaust install is lots of stands, even on a hoist. I've used 6 or 7 on a custom build sometimes, while fitting things up.

On the ground some blocks of wood or extra jackstands will be a huge help. Then you're not relying on the joints holding together to keep everything in place.

Just my $. 02

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
This better sound amazing to be worth this trouble.
IT WILL!! [thumb]

I get compliments ALL of the time on mine with the factory down pipe, and it is just about perfect with a nice tone/burble and WOT growl, but without the real risk of hearing loss, like some other systems that the 'kids' like for the abject outright noise. ;)

I installed my cpe catback on my back in the garage and i had some trouble with the dp bolts. Other than that it was straightforward although I had extra jack stands to support the exhaust. The hardest part was getting to tips to line up.

As for downpipe install, mine went well. Took two nights and I was confused why everyone thought the dp bolts were hard to get to. I didn't have any trouble. Having the right sockets and extensions is key here. The hardest install i've actually done on this car is the cp-e cold side w/ hks bov flange. That pipe barely fits and the c clip on the hks is the work of satan himself. That's the only install I'll flat out deny helping my FiST friends with as I never want to deal with that ever again.

Pro tip: if you're installing a cold side intercooler pipe, do yourself a favor and do it at the same time as an oil change with the oil filter off. You'll thank me later.

Ford Community Posts