Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Sekred's White Weapon build thread # 2

Siestarider

Time for an update, its been nearly two years.

View attachment 11058
Serious hot rod you have going now. I have to start at beginning when I get a chance and read whole thread.

Your VD is maybe the best I have seen for big turbo, 250 lbs T at 3100 rpm and holding steady to 6K is most impressive.

How does it feel?

Also, now that you have really good front brake upgrade with SICO rears upgrade, how does that combo feel? Enough difference to improve track performance?

OP
Sekred

Sekred

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #125
Thanks Siestarider,

I am quite happy with the turbo setup. I never really find myself in a hole when I step on the throttle. In reality it is simply not what I would call laggy in response as long as you keep the engine spinning above 2500 rpm and I don't go WOT below this anyway cause I don't want to load the engine like this. At WOT it will start to produce boost under 2000rpm, 3rd gear 20psi by 3500rpm, 4th gear 20psi by 3100rpm. The main problem I have is torque steer, in 2nd gear it will spin up and change lanes if your not straight, it starts to break traction at about 5000rpm and in this cold weather it just smokes the tires. 3rd is not as bad but still a struggle with any kind of steering angle. This is kind of fun but it is starting to get a little tiring.

The brake setup is a good question as far as the front/rear balance goes. I am not sure I have this right. The main reason is in theory I probably have too much front brake at the moment. My theory could be wrong though base on the fact that I have larger brake pad area with the 6 piston caliper but the pistons diameters are smaller than the OEM caliper meaning less force acting on the pads. Testing this and trying to work it out is easier said than done but.
As far as the way the car performs on the road I feel that the ABS is coming in a little early. I will say the car is super stable under heavy braking. I have over cooked it a few times to the point where I have been hard on the ABS and turning into a corner and there have been no hint on the car wanting to rotate. I am pretty sure the ESC is probably working at this point.

Siestarider

Sounds like its all good. Read your whole thread, very well thought out and implemented mods.

I found that Quaife LSD helps torque steer. I believe RAAM has one, and he reported excessive TS with big turbo even with LSD, my recollection is he modified his engine mounts with more urethane stiffener and tamed the TS. Maybe he can provide you his recipe.

If I recall my hydraulics correctly, you have to add the areas of all six piston faces and compare to the area of the one piston OEM uses. So I theorize you have extra bias toward FB, which would be slightly offset by extra leverage with SICO package on rears. I do not know enough about ABS triggering to opine.

ESC is an awesome piece of engineering. When I was new to tracking and using ESC I felt like Bruce McClaren early on. Then I turned ESC off and promptly spun a 720. Which is why I always have it on DD. No telling what difficulty it can get you out of.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
ESC is an awesome piece of engineering. When I was new to tracking and using ESC I felt like Bruce McClaren early on. Then I turned ESC off and promptly spun a 720. Which is why I always have it on DD. No telling what difficulty it can get you out of.
Does the ESC/TV tend to burn up pads quicker (when on vs. switched off) even in mild daily driving use, or only during open tracking/hard driving use?
(I hope it makes me feel like a Mark Donohue, since he was raised in the town right next door to the one where I was raised.)

Siestarider

Had to go with Bruce because he was from down under, it is Sekred's thread after all.

If ESC is on, it will flash when it acts. I have seen it flash in mountains pressing pretty hard. On track with ESC on sport, rear pads wore faster for me than fronts.

But even with ESC turned completely off, TVC still intervenes with front brakes on track. LSD helps a lot but does not eliminate it.

Was the SICO big brake rear kit install a straight swap? No modification required? I was interested getting the rear kit to go along with my Wilwood fronts but no one I know has tried it on a US FiST yet.

OP
Sekred

Sekred

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #133
The SiCo kit bolts straight on. Bigger disc with a different sliding mechanism only, same caliper that you change over.

I noticed PumaSpeed are selling something similar.

OP
Sekred

Sekred

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #134
TTV Racing single mass flywheel, around 5.1 kgs from memory verse the OEM dual mass flywheel (11 kgs).

I have been using thing flywheel for around 12 months without any problems. It increases throttle response mainly. The downside is a increase in vibration and when my tyres break traction it spins up quicker.

TTV Flywheel.1.jpg

TTV flywheel.1.jpg

TTV flywheel.jpg

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Is the vibration only at idle, and initial release in 1st, or all the way up the rev range as well?

Have you thought about a small diameter, lightweight, multi-disc clutch assembly as well, or do you daily drive/sit in stop and go traffic too much for one of those things?

Just switched to a single mass flywheel, sounds exactly what ivd got occuring which i was worried about. Feel better after hearing you say that [MENTION=62]Sekred[/MENTION]

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

OP
Sekred

Sekred

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #137
Is the vibration only at idle, and initial release in 1st, or all the way up the rev range as well?

Have you thought about a small diameter, lightweight, multi-disc clutch assembly as well, or do you daily drive/sit in stop and go traffic too much for one of those things?
Not much at idle unless the AC is running. A little when you release the clutch in 1st gear. Some vibration under 2-2500rpm depending on how hard you lug the engine which I avoid most times.
I am running a full set of modified engine mounts which create they own vibrations anyway. I was running a puck clutch which I have removed. The OEM clutch is a good thing anyway.

If ESC is on, it will flash when it acts. I have seen it flash in mountains pressing pretty hard. On track with ESC on sport, rear pads wore faster for me than fronts.
I believe ESC only flashes when the front tires break loose and Traction Control intervenes. I haven't tracked my car yet, but the ESC acts on the rear brakes when cornering, all the time, as witnessed by the rear pads wearing out completely by 60K kilometers (40K miles), ahead of the front pads.

OP
Sekred

Sekred

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #140
Just CF wrap over the fuse box and a fabricated plastic cover over the battery compartment with more CF wrap, engine bay bling as you said.