Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

TDavis' Platinum Warrior build

OP
TDavis

TDavis

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #121
Installed the GTX2860 yesterday. Install went well, only a few snags which wasn't ATPs fault or anything, just normal things that take some massaging.

Install notes:

-Its easier to have someone hold the manifold and turbo assembly away from the block while you're underneath installing the oil drain on the turbo and in the block. Or else you'll have a hell of a time trying to bend it to fit.
-I couldn't find a way to drop the manifold and turbo in as an assembly. So i laid the turbo onto the crossmember in the engine bay then bolted the manifold on and had a few people hold the turbo up so that I could tighten the v-band clamp.
-They require you to tap your own vacuum connections on the outlet and inlet silicone elbows. Sounds frightening but really wasn't all that bad. They provide the fittings, you just need to drill the holes.
-They give you more silicone hose then you need for the outlet elbow. So they advice you to cut some off. I found out the reason is because it rubs on the steering rack if not cut enough. I cut mine but need to trim a little more so it doesn't rub. I will do that later, its not a big issue as of now because the silicone hose provided is nice, thick, 5 ply silicone.

Other then that is was pretty straight forward. Their instructions are detailed with pictures and everything. Taking out the stock turbo was real easy. Fit and finish was great

Tune from Adam @ Tune+ right now its maxed at 14.7psi which I'm just safely assuming is because its the base tune and he starts out safe. I'm definitely not used to the lag but once its hits, its a rocket all the way through the RPM range. Can't wait to see how it feels once its at full PSI. Also side note; the HKS BOV is lovely

Probably would have been done an hour earlier if I didn't spend it looking for tools I just had in my hand lol

I'm glad to see a comparison picture to the stock turbo, nice work man! So I autocross my ST and have been considering going with this turbo setup. How late is the spool time on this setup? Would it be a good autocross setup or mainly a track turbo?

OP
TDavis

TDavis

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #125
I'm glad to see a comparison picture to the stock turbo, nice work man! So I autocross my ST and have been considering going with this turbo setup. How late is the spool time on this setup? Would it be a good autocross setup or mainly a track turbo?
When I first did a pull I got worried because I didn't feel any power until it finally spooled at around 3000-3500RPMs. Not that it was extremely laggy, just that I was so used to the stock turbos spool. Its great and I love it but depending on the AutoX track I wouldn't necessarily recommend it. The 2860 is more of a road course turbo, it has good mid range and great top end. It has some low end too but not the amount that the hybrids/stock have since it spools later.

It feels amazing at 14PSI on my base tune from Tune+. I can't imagine how it'll feel once I get to the normal PSI range.

OP
TDavis

TDavis

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #126
Oh a man can dream. Finally an actual big turbo and not a Hybrid thing
Yeah. It was a debate between a hybrid or the GTX 2860r. But since I could spare the coin I decided to go actual big turbo so that if I wanted to grow more I had plenty of room to go. I don't regret it. Of course I'll have to stay a little higher in the RPM but its not too bad. I like that it doesn't lose its breathe so fast like the stock turbo. Plus the HKS BOV is fun to listen to [tongue]

When I first did a pull I got worried because I didn't feel any power until it finally spooled at around 3000-3500RPMs. Not that it was extremely laggy, just that I was so used to the stock turbos spool. Its great and I love it but depending on the AutoX track I wouldn't necessarily recommend it. The 2860 is more of a road course turbo, it has good mid range and great top end. It has some low end too but not the amount that the hybrids/stock have since it spools later.

It feels amazing at 14PSI on my base tune from Tune+. I can't imagine how it'll feel once I get to the normal PSI range.
Yeah I was kinda thinking it wouldn't fit the autocross build with the later spool time. The 2860 seems to be pretty popular, I am eager to see what you think once it gets all dialed in!

OP
TDavis

TDavis

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #128
Got my second revision in yesterday. Did some datalogs on it last night and holy shit! I expected to be up a few PSI and slowly progress but when I did my first pull it was ridiculous! I can't believe that this could be under ~300whp with how fast the car feels now. After that pull I looked over at the boost and it said 24.8PSI. That 10psi difference was very much appreciated! [clap][clap]

That's awesome, are you getting used to the spool time now? You are making me want to upgrade my set up now haha

OP
TDavis

TDavis

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #130
That's awesome, are you getting used to the spool time now? You are making me want to upgrade my set up now haha
It'll take a bit to get used to. I know I'll have to keep it higher in the RPM when on back roads or at the road course. Nor do I think I can go full throttle mid corner like I used to [bawling]

But I'll be glad that it doesn't completely fall on its face after 3k RPM. It'll be a different drive thats for sure because I get actual torque steer now.

OP
TDavis

TDavis

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #135
How does the car hook up when you go full throttle? Just curious since you don't have the LSD installed yet.
It actually hooks up pretty good for now. 2nd gear it lights them up once boost kicks in but if you're doing a log and do a 3rd gear pull from 2500 to redline it doesn't spin, it somehow retains grip and turns into a rocket ship.

Now I'm sure it depends on what RPM you're at. I haven't played around with it too much but if I was in 3rd and at around 3500-4k RPM and floor it then it might spin since I'm in boost. Haven't found that out yet.

On my 3rd revision now and at around 28.7PSI

Last edited:
OP
TDavis

TDavis

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #137
Any updates on the car man? I've been itching to see where its ending up at with the tunes
I haven't gotten around to it yet.

I sent my last logs over to Adam last week and he reported back with saying that he thinks we lost boost control because I'm at 30+PSI pre-throttle and the throttle is closed during the pull trying to block out the boost. He says we are shooting for 24-25PSI so if I see 28PSI on the AP something is wrong. Said to not do WOT until its fixed or else thats an easy way to send a rod through the side of the block.

I'll be replacing the boost solenoid today after work. The lines are fine but maybe my solenoid isn't good and I'll use actual vacuum line this for it instead of stiff, rubber, fuel line that I had laying around at the time. [wiggle]

OP
TDavis

TDavis

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #138
Replaced my boost solenoid and lines as well just to be safe. Car stays at 25.5-26psi now which is what Adam wants it to be at. No more 28psi on the AP which Adam said if we saw that theres a problem.

He said everything looks good now and I received my finalized tune for 93. Next tuning session should be done with aux fuel.

The last two datalogs that I did showed 0 negative corrections on the AP.

So far 10/10 from Adam @ Tune+

OP
TDavis

TDavis

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #139
Ordered my Dunlop Direzza Z3s in 215/40/17 in prep for the warmer weather. Should be here Monday. Excited to have stickier tires on this Go-Kart

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^My only complaint with the Z3s is that they are narrower in actual tread width than the old Z2s in that size. [:(]

(But they may make up for it with a better, stickier compound than the older ones.)