Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

TDavis' Platinum Warrior build

Woods247

2000 Post Club
How’s your car man? How do you feel about the lag when driving around town? Does aux fuel help with it at all?

OP
TDavis

TDavis

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #142
^^^My only complaint with the Z3s is that they are narrower in actual tread width than the old Z2s in that size. [:(]

(But they may make up for it with a better, stickier compound than the older ones.)
Yeah, in the size I wanted it was pretty much between the Falken Azenis RT615K+ or these. They're both equal contenders from what I researched. So it basically came down to which tread pattern looked cooler [biggrin]

How’s your car man? How do you feel about the lag when driving around town? Does aux fuel help with it at all?
I haven't gotten the aux fuel system as of yet. It'll be in the future. But for now I'm content.......for now lmao. My plan is to be around 350-370whp with aux fuel and keep it there. I will get aux fuel though, thats a given. I like its cleaning properties.

I'll be honest, I do miss the quick spool at times. But I immediately forget about that when it continues to roll out in the higher RPMs without running out of breath. The lag isn't that bad also tbh. It spools around 3500-4000 RPM. When you compare the spool to stock its going to feel laggy as all hell but it doesn't help that stock spool is really quick lol

I'm curious on how it'll feel at Heartland next month when I go to the track day. I know I'll be much happier not losing much ground on the straights anymore. Already have corners down but the cars power was my achilles heel on straights.

Putting around town is much different as I can't get into the power until much later. It makes me more responsible in a way lol[angel]

In the end, I'm happy and I look at it like this. If I want more power, that can be easily done without worrying about the turbo being the bottleneck. I won't have my power dying off early in the RPM, it quite literally never dies off once spool hits. The torque won't be as hard on the drivetrain/powertrain since its not as abrupt as stock spool. Also the GTX2860 is tried and true. Haven't heard of any problems with them, only the motors because people choose the wrong tuner or get greedy and go for a higher HP rating that the engine can't handle.

OP
TDavis

TDavis

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #143
Tires arrived yesterday!

I'll wait a little bit before I install them as its not that warm yet. Its been in the 50s and low is in the 30s but I don't want these in anything less then 50 degrees. Also, my current OEM Michelins still have around 5/32 of tread left surprisingly with how I treat them.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
At times I am sorry that I did not go with the Z2s over the RSRRs, even if the Dunlops are no quieter than the Federals on the highway.

(I like that that tread pattern, and much more 'square' shoulder on the Z2s/Z3s, over the more rounded on the edge, RSRRs. :( )

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Yeah, in the size I wanted it was pretty much between the Falken Azenis RT615K+ or these. They're both equal contenders from what I researched. So it basically came down to which tread pattern looked cooler [biggrin]

I haven't gotten the aux fuel system as of yet. It'll be in the future. But for now I'm content.......for now lmao. My plan is to be around 350-370whp with aux fuel and keep it there. I will get aux fuel though, thats a given. I like its cleaning properties.

I'll be honest, I do miss the quick spool at times. But I immediately forget about that when it continues to roll out in the higher RPMs without running out of breath. The lag isn't that bad also tbh. It spools around 3500-4000 RPM. When you compare the spool to stock its going to feel laggy as all hell but it doesn't help that stock spool is really quick lol

I'm curious on how it'll feel at Heartland next month when I go to the track day. I know I'll be much happier not losing much ground on the straights anymore. Already have corners down but the cars power was my achilles heel on straights.

Putting around town is much different as I can't get into the power until much later. It makes me more responsible in a way lol[angel]

In the end, I'm happy and I look at it like this. If I want more power, that can be easily done without worrying about the turbo being the bottleneck. I won't have my power dying off early in the RPM, it quite literally never dies off once spool hits. The torque won't be as hard on the drivetrain/powertrain since its not as abrupt as stock spool. Also the GTX2860 is tried and true. Haven't heard of any problems with them, only the motors because people choose the wrong tuner or get greedy and go for a higher HP rating that the engine can't handle.
I will completely agree with Tdavis's statement about the spool. But when it hits....hehe[hihi]...It just keeps pulling hard. I now have Aux fuel in my possession and have spoken to PERFBLUE and took some advice from him...it was a heartbreaker around 350whp....ill be content with that...if I want more HP I have my Typhoon to drive and boost launch on Typhoon Thursdays when I drive it. Fuel economy has stayed relatively close to the stocker also. The Torque also coming on later doesn't bother me either and hopefully it holds fruit over the long haul as I don't see going to another Turbo anytime soon. [strongman]. I May start a Build thread....but I think its too late IMO...but ill see. Let me know how those tires are Tdavis....I might go with Continental extreme DWs.

OP
TDavis

TDavis

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #146
I will completely agree with Tdavis's statement about the spool. But when it hits....hehe[hihi]...It just keeps pulling hard. I now have Aux fuel in my possession and have spoken to PERFBLUE and took some advice from him...it was a heartbreaker around 350whp....ill be content with that...if I want more HP I have my Typhoon to drive and boost launch on Typhoon Thursdays when I drive it. Fuel economy has stayed relatively close to the stocker also. The Torque also coming on later doesn't bother me either and hopefully it holds fruit over the long haul as I don't see going to another Turbo anytime soon. [strongman]. I May start a Build thread....but I think its too late IMO...but ill see. Let me know how those tires are Tdavis....I might go with Continental extreme DWs.

Let me know how the aux fuel install goes! I'll be doing that eventually. I'll be settling around 350whp as well.

Woods247

2000 Post Club
[MENTION=3563]TyphoonFiST[/MENTION] it's never too late to start a build thread. I'm curious to see if Aux has an impact on y'alls spool.

OP
TDavis

TDavis

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #148
Got tires put on last week. I will need to raise the front on the coilovers a little bit. They only rub under extreme conditions but I don't like it. Plus, it'll even out the rear rake that the car has from the coilovers out of the box.

Long story short. When I first bought the car, the detailer backed it into a flatbed, so it was in the bodyshop at 73 miles on the clock for $5k worth of damage. Got it back from the body shop a month later and saw there was a tiny little slit in the sidewall of the tire. Completely fine to drive on but it wasn't there before so I had them get me another tire. So, I now have a full size Team Dynamics wheel for a spare with a tire that only has 73 miles on it, so that if I get a flat on the front I won't have to worry about swapping a rear wheel to the front since the conventional spare won't fit over my brakes. I bought another TD wheel anyway because I got a bad chip on one of them a while back. Plus, its always nice to have spares.

OP
TDavis

TDavis

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #149
Was watching a video at work on Fords new EcoBlue engine technology for the new 2019 Transit Connects 1.5L
Diesel engine and saw a new badge coming out on them in late 2019.

Decided to order one for the FiST since I like blue and the blue matches my ST inlays [hihi] I'm not much of a badge adding person but its a nice small touch that no one else has yet.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
[MENTION=3563]TyphoonFiST[/MENTION] it's never too late to start a build thread. I'm curious to see if Aux has an impact on y'alls spool.
I don't see any reason why it would help spool? The car still has all the fuel it needs at that point, it's only after making 300+hp up in the revs is when aux fuel will help it keep pulling instead of running out of fuel. Of course Ford tries to say the fuel system isn't even designed to make more than the stock 200hp, I couldn't imagine a world where someone installs a BT without aux, you are literally crippling it down to hybrid power levels with more lag, but to each their own...

OP
TDavis

TDavis

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #152
Finally installed the 180 Motorcraft T-stat. I don't care what anyone says, thats a pain in my ass compared to other cars. I found you have to take the A/C compressor completely off with lines still attached in order to get to the bottom 2 bolts of the T-stat housing, not just "back it off a little bit." Everything else on this car is easy to work on though lol

Even in 55 degree weather temps it runs still cooler.

Last edited:
Finally installed the 180 Motorcraft T-stat. I don't care what anyone says, thats a pain in my ass compared to other cars. I found you have to take the A/C compressor completely off with lines still attached in order to get to the bottom 2 bolts of the T-stat housing, not just "back it off a little bit." Everything else on this car is easy to work on though lol

Even in 55 degree weather temps are still cool.
Were you running hot with the Mountune radiator? What was the impetus for installing this?

OP
TDavis

TDavis

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #154
Were you running hot with the Mountune radiator? What was the impetus for installing this?
Nah. Before the Mountune rad install I got to 240F on the temp gauge when I was spirited driving on some back roads in 98F degree weather, I was one bar away from full "H."

I then installed the Mountune rad but when I did it was fall so it was already cooler outside so I didn't really get to test that out. But the T-stat was only $15 and its just extra insurance since the Mountune isn't as big as the Mishimoto rad. Plus, its an OEM Motorcraft T-stat thats a step cooler which is pretty nice. I'm sure stock T-stat would've been fine with the Mountune rad but again, no harm in a 180 T-stat. 160 would be overkill IMO since I don't constantly track the car.

Last edited:
Nah. Before the Mountune rad install I got to 240F on the temp gauge when I was spirited driving on some back roads in 98F degree weather, I was one bar away from full "H."

I then installed the Mountune rad but when I did it was fall so it was already cooler outside so I didn't really get to test that out. But the T-stat was only $15 and its just extra insurance since the Mountune isn't as big as the Mishimoto rad. Plus, its an OEM Motorcraft T-stat thats a step cooler which is pretty nice. I'm sure stock T-stat would've been fine with the Mountune rad but again, no harm in a 180 T-stat. 160 would be overkill IMO since I don't constantly track the car.
Just wondering because since I installed the Mountune rad I have had water temps under 200F and oil under 210F. You’ll like the ZlII’s btw

OP
TDavis

TDavis

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #156
Just wondering because since I installed the Mountune rad I have had water temps under 200F and oil under 210F. You’ll like the ZlII’s btw
Already like them alot thats for sure!

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
160 would be overkill IMO since I don't constantly track the car.
I believe that the 160*F stat would actually harm the engine in colder climes, as this EcoBoost platform fuel dilutes the oil enough already! [wink]
NO need to exacerbate that negative even more with a COLD stat, especially if running colder plugs as well. [nono]

OP
TDavis

TDavis

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #158
I believe that the 160*F stat would actually harm the engine in colder climes, as this EcoBoost platform fuel dilutes the oil enough already! [wink]
NO need to exacerbate that negative even more with a COLD stat, especially if running colder plugs as well. [nono]
Yeah I feel the same. If I strictly tracked the car I'd just get a Mishi rad and 180 T-stat and pass on the 160 t-stat

Hit TOTD on my Georgia trip. Did 3 runs back to back and LOVED every minute of it. Even with the big turbo its still a rocket ship out of corners and now on straights! As long as you're in the right gear all is well.

Play with any other cars? Good day to buy those pics btw I’ll run it June 7th with the new setup [ridinghorse][whip]