Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Fiesta RS Style Hood Vent Installation

Hey guys, couple weekends ago I went to my buddies and we did surgery on the hood of my car. The installation was pretty straight forward with a lot of cutting and checking fitment as we went along.

I highly recommend that you put cardboard or newspaper or any other surface covering material underneath the hood and ontop of the engine and engine bay. You will otherwise get lots of nice fine metal and paint powder pretty much everywhere. We probably could've done a better job sanding the edges too but I was going to functionality over looks, although I absolutely love the way the car looks now.

EDIT: Here is a link to where I purchased them from - Carbon RS-M Bonnet Vents Fiesta mk7/7.5 They were $35.96 shipped and came painted and UV treated.

Below are the pictures of the installation. Tools were a circular hand saw, tape measure, level, masking tape, 3M adhesive, and a dremel with a sanding attachment.

And the final product along with my newly installed Euro headlights:

Last edited:

jeff

2000 Post Club
Man that looks fantastic. Dangit.

Dangit......time to research what these cost........

EDIT could you share a link to where you purchased? And also, did you paint them or did they come color matched?

Thanks!

green_henry

1000 Post Club
Looks great!

- In hindsight, would you recommend removing the hood completely? (Probably not practical for a one-man op, but seems like it might be the way to go if you have an extra set of hands)
- What do you do when it rains or when the car needs a wash? Is there a cover for the vents? (This has been the big deterrent for me)

OP
mercdank
Thread Starter #4
Man that looks fantastic. Dangit.

Dangit......time to research what these cost........

EDIT could you share a link to where you purchased? And also, did you paint them or did they come color matched?

Thanks!
I edited the OP to include the link, here it is again: Carbon RS-M Bonnet Vents Fiesta mk7/7.5

OP
mercdank
Thread Starter #5
Looks great!

- In hindsight, would you recommend removing the hood completely? (Probably not practical for a one-man op, but seems like it might be the way to go if you have an extra set of hands)
- What do you do when it rains or when the car needs a wash? Is there a cover for the vents? (This has been the big deterrent for me)
Removing the hood looks like a huge pain in the ass, definitely don't regret leaving it on. When it rains it rains, I haven't experienced any adverse affects yet, but then again I haven't been in a proper downpour sooo... As long as there aren't any exposed wires or something like that, I don't think it would be a problem. Look at the huge opening our engine bays have at the bottom of the car, debris and water get all up in there all the time as is, so I am not going to sweat it.

cxwrench

Looks great!

Why would it matter?

green_henry

1000 Post Club
Why would it matter?
It depends on where the water would be falling/gathering, but in general, water and electricity don't get along very well. E.g. best practice when cleaning the engine compartment is to disconnect the battery first. If water was gathering on a wiring harness, you'd run the risk of having a short circuit -- probably unlikely, but a risk I'd rather avoid.

cxwrench

It depends on where the water would be falling/gathering, but in general, water and electricity don't get along very well. E.g. best practice when cleaning the engine compartment is to disconnect the battery first. If water was gathering on a wiring harness, you'd run the risk of having a short circuit -- probably unlikely, but a risk I'd rather avoid.
Really? Then why is there that great huge hole under the engine? I'm sure that's more of a worry than a little rain getting past the hood vents.

green_henry

1000 Post Club
Really? Then why is there that great huge hole under the engine? I'm sure that's more of a worry than a little rain getting past the hood vents.
When we open the hood, we see lots of wires. When we look at the engine from underneath, we don't. Obviously, it's easier to work on a car from above, so that's the main reason, but isolating the electrical components from water is another. I'm not saying the hood vents should be a major concern but it does seem like a potential risk (particularly if the car is not garaged, which would be my situation).

Back in the day I had the hood of my Mustang louvered. Some water would get under the hood but nothing major and no issues. Not saying that there won’t be issues here but I am thinking about doing this mod.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anybody have this professinally done? I'm not usually all that good with cosmetic mods like this and would rather trust someone with more experience.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Anybody have this professionally done? I'm not usually all that good with cosmetic mods like this and would rather trust someone with more experience.
For what they would probably charge for this, you could get a carbon fiber composite hood with the vents already in it, and save some weight.
But then yes, you would have to love the 'carbon look' on your color FiST, as painting it would double the cost. [:(]

OP
mercdank
Thread Starter #14
I would be lying if I said that I wasn't somewhat worried about what a very heavy and prolonged rain would do to the car with the vents. I have a cowl intake so I don't have an airbox which is where the passenger vent kinda sits on. The other vent is right over the manifold and MAP sensor area. There aren't any exposed wires or anything, but I am wrapping up every connection end and visible wires with plastic/tape to be on the safe side and have somewhat of peace of mind. Same for the battery and ECU area, I am just going to tape her up tight and call it a day. As mentioned already, our entire bottom engine bay is exposed to the elements so again my only worry is very heavy prolonged rains which is somewhat avoidable with radar and the fact that I daily a F150 and not the FiST.

Any shop would probably quote you at least 4 hours of labor at $90-120 per hour but you would get 100% satisfaction and a professional job (shop pending). So you figure if it is worth it to you. I absolutely love the look, it catches me by surprise still sometimes and I'm like DAAMN!

I got the lights on eBay, here is the link: Fiesta ST LED Headlights

TemecFist

Could you please take a pic of the underside of the hood? Is there any bracing that needs to be worried about?
Looks great!!

You did a great job and the car looks great, quick question? where did you get the rear wing?

Thanks!.

Nice but you should've covered up your hood too before cutting into it. Those sparks burned pits into your clear coat.

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
All the connections under the hood are weather sealed. Ford makes questionable decisions but they at least gave us weatherproof connectors.

Hey guys, couple weekends ago I went to my buddies and we did surgery on the hood of my car. The installation was pretty straight forward with a lot of cutting and checking fitment as we went along.

I highly recommend that you put cardboard or newspaper or any other surface covering material underneath the hood and ontop of the engine and engine bay. You will otherwise get lots of nice fine metal and paint powder pretty much everywhere. We probably could've done a better job sanding the edges too but I was going to functionality over looks, although I absolutely love the way the car looks now.

EDIT: Here is a link to where I purchased them from - Carbon RS-M Bonnet Vents Fiesta mk7/7.5 They were $35.96 shipped and came painted and UV treated.

A continuación se muestran las imágenes de la instalación. Las herramientas fueron una sierra de mano circular, cinta métrica, nivel, cinta adhesiva, adhesivo 3M y una dremel con un accesorio de lijado.

Y el producto final junto con mis faros Euro recién instalados:

[/CITAR]it looks fantastic, if you don't mind can you tell me how the 3m tape behaves in the heat? I have seen in other videos that they are glued with black silicone