Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Stock diverter valve + GFB DV+ spring = flutter

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
I thought flutter when releasing throttle is from the WGA and is 100% normal, when letting off the throttle... since this thread was started, there is also now the TurboSmart EM VR2 in both dual port for noise and plumb back for quietness. the EM VR2 is fully plug and play and is just a straight replacement for the stock one and requires no oiling or maintenance without any flutter issues from the first gen.
Have used both, been a dedicated GFB DV+ user for years - just order the turbosmart. Maintenance free, 10-15 minute install, no stacking components and you keep your stock DV fully intact.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Have used both, been a dedicated GFB DV+ user for years - just order the turbosmart. Maintenance free, 10-15 minute install, no stacking components and you keep your stock DV fully intact.
I did get the TurboSmart (VR2 EM Plumb Back) and it IS a full replacement DV... Are you referring to a Symposer mounted one? How does that work in conjunction with a stock DV? Especially if you want full recirc...

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
I did get the TurboSmart (VR2 EM Plumb Back) and it IS a full replacement DV... Are you referring to a Symposer mounted one? How does that work in conjunction with a stock DV? Especially if you want full recirc...
Oh that was more for posterity's sake if anyone in the future was searching for the DV+ - What I was conveying was that with the DV+ you have to pull apart your stock dv, with the turbosmart you do not because the stock goes unused. Wasn't to you specifically :)

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Oh that was more for posterity's sake if anyone in the future was searching for the DV+ - What I was conveying was that with the DV+ you have to pull apart your stock dv, with the turbosmart you do not because the stock goes unused. Wasn't to you specifically :)
AH! Makes sense man, but you had quoted me so, yeah, now I see. :)

Anyway, unless you've already done something to that back side of the turbo there, it's likely to take a while to do it though. You obviously need jack/stands or if thin enough, ramps with no creeper, have to take off the belt cover, hot side pipe and get up in there and work small tools sideways in a very tight area above the axle. It is NOT fun at all but once you've been in there once it does get much easier after that.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
AH! Makes sense man, but you had quoted me so, yeah, now I see. :)

Anyway, unless you've already done something to that back side of the turbo there, it's likely to take a while to do it though. You obviously need jack/stands or if thin enough, ramps with no creeper, have to take off the belt cover, hot side pipe and get up in there and work small tools sideways in a very tight area above the axle. It is NOT fun at all but once you've been in there once it does get much easier after that.
I cheated - my right arm has been in a cast on and off for ~ 2 years so my forearm is super thin, I was able to reach up from below and remove/reinstall in just a few minutes lol - without the skeleton-arm it would take a lot longer lol. Lemons -> lemonade!

My DV+ has been on for 30K+ miles, I've never done any maintenance on it, nor has it ever fluttered on me. No issues there.
I was able to install my DV+ through the passenger wheel well, fairly quickly without pulling much else apart

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
My DV+ has been on for 30K+ miles, I've never done any maintenance on it, nor has it ever fluttered on me. No issues there.
I was able to install my DV+ through the passenger wheel well, fairly quickly without pulling much else apart
Yeah its shades of gray on the install difficulty. For some, the DV+/DV replacement can be an all-day thing, other only a few minutes. The flutter people complain about is the normal throttle lift compressor sound, not real crazy flutter. Though when I put my stock dV back together with the GFB spring in it... THAT was some crazy flutter :p

On lubing the DV+ - it's different between cars. My Abarth didn't blow any oil at all through the intake tract so the GFB would constantly dry out. The FiST seems to blow enough oil that the DV+ stays lubed up for most users. I would guess that a really effective catch-can might make the DV+ run dry? A lot of people also install the DV+ without applying oil per the instructions so :shrug: its gotta get lubed up somehow.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Nice, I've heard of doing it that way too, does jacking it up expose that OK or have to un-do the inner fender stuff?

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
I took the passenger tire off, and the belt cover which is 2 torx screws. It's not that bad. I have some fine motor skill issues with my hands, as well as mild carpal tunnel in my right hand.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk