Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Stock diverter valve + GFB DV+ spring = flutter

My tuner asked that I replace my GFB DV+ with the stock diverter valve. I kept the OEM pieces just in case, but the install video shows a small spring comes out of the OEM unit - I couldn't find the stock spring so I left the DV+ spring in the OEM one. Drove around for a while with no issues, then noticed it's starting to "flutter" when releasing boost pressure.

Question 1: Does the OEM unit have a spring in it or did I watch a dumb video?

Question 2: Should I be worried about the flutter?

Quisp

1000 Post Club
Only on the actuator rod on the stock one. DV+ comes with replacement for that and additional for under plunger.

TDavis

1000 Post Club
Why did he tell you to put back the stock plastic diverter valve on? lol

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
All the cars I've used DV+ on added a bit of flutter, it's normal. You can install the DV+ without the helper spring, then you get the benefit of the better-sealing silicone seal without the flutter.

OP
Spaceman_Spiff
Thread Starter #6
Why did he tell you to put back the stock plastic diverter valve on? lol
Probably troubleshooting a problem.
Yep. Apparently it's not holding as much boost as he's commanding, he suggested I start with putting the OEM back on.

All the cars I've used DV+ on added a bit of flutter, it's normal. You can install the DV+ without the helper spring, then you get the benefit of the better-sealing silicone seal without the flutter.
See, that's the thing: I didn't have ANY flutter with the DV+, so it's even WEIRDER that it's happening on the OEM one [crazyeye]

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
so at part throttle, like 3-5 psi then drop throttle, you guys get no flutter? Do you guys have intakes? Perhaps its fluttering and you just can't hear it?

OP
Spaceman_Spiff
Thread Starter #9
I don't have an intake, just panel filter and some additional "breathing holes" where a big mouth typically gets installed.

OP
Spaceman_Spiff
Thread Starter #11
hm - both my GFB cars always fluttered below maybe 5psi, above that normal pshhhhhh
Yeah, even with the dv+ I don't get any noises, flutter or pshhhhh. Sounds like it's hit or miss with these based on the other thread.

TDavis

1000 Post Club
Been contemplating on upgrading to the DV+. Should I be concerned? Benefit of upgrading?
The only "negative," if you'd call it that, would be you have to take it off and clean/re-oil the piston every 20kish miles according to some.

On my 2017 I am getting over 21 lbs. of max boost on the stock setup. I monitor boost using the DashCommand app and a module that plugs into my OBDII port. Is there any advantage to switching to a DV+ as long as my OEM DV is able to hold this level of boost?

Quisp

1000 Post Club
On my 2017 I am getting over 21 lbs. of max boost on the stock setup. I monitor boost using the DashCommand app and a module that plugs into my OBDII port. Is there any advantage to switching to a DV+ as long as my OEM DV is able to hold this level of boost?
Watch there YouTube video. It responds quicker and doesn't dump all pressure.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Iā€™m not too familiar with my st yet, but at least on Abarths the dashcommand boost gauge was ā€œrequestedā€ boost, and did not accurately reflect the amount of boost actually being generated.

Definitely have the flutter on mine. Weird thing is, it didn't start till after about 15k miles of being installed. I took it apart, cleaned and lubed it but it came right back. Under full load, it vents fine, it's just light throttle that it does it

I just installed mine (including the main spring) I have no flutter noises at all. I"m using a panel filter with stock air box with larger induction hose and I hear nothing. Normal?

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Light flutter when releasing suddenly from part throttle is from the WGA, not the DV/BOV and is 100% normal.. since this thread was started, there is also now the TurboSmart EM VR2 in both dual port for noise and plumb back for quietness. The EM VR2 is fully plug and play and is just a straight replacement for the stock one and requires no oiling or maintenance like a DV+ and without part throttle surge issues like the first gen.

Last edited: