Welcome to Fiesta ST Forum, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Register

See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

User Tag List

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    New Member 11 Rep Points
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals

State
    TX
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New 2017 FiST, 500 miles....clunk clunk on shift...

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    So today I finally got the shifting clunk disease everyone was talking about. Shifting from 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd, clunk noise with each shift. I had no clue what the hell it was, and was actually worried something was wrong with my brand new car. I googled it and I guess it's a "normal thing" that FiST cars make? So yes, I searched for it on the forums, but just for my sanity, I'm asking anyway. This is a known issue right, and basically it's comes with the "character of the car" persona? And there is no fix, besides pretending i don't hear it and move on.

0%
    Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals

State
    FL
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Buddy you are not alone. Got my clunks at 1,000 miles and at 4,000 Ford still has not come up with a answer. This week I took it in to the dealer and they ran a check on the clutch. Found a bad slave cylinder and replaced it. Same problem with the clunks. They had the transmission out on the bench and the axles off so this would have been the time to really do some checking and replacing of the axles as they are doing on the 2016's. When the service rep road tested it he wrote "Road tested and operating as designed".... Someone please contact Getrag to send me one of there poorly designed 6 speeds and they can have mine back.. Even Honda has had problems with a 6 spd and blew-off the owners for years. I guess all service departments come from the same mold.. Great little car but my last Ford. Good luck and if you find a dealer with the fix let me know and I'll drive across country to get mine fixed.
    Dick- Venice, FL
    Last edited by DixST; 11-16-2017 at 12:07 PM. Reason: missing words

Member 86 Rep Points sidewaysallday's Avatar
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals
    Earned First 100 Posts Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points
    State
    PA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2 Likes

Sounds like a rear motor mount (RMM). The clunk is a very common complaint. Search for it. It's well documented on here.
    '16 Kona Blue - Cobb Access Port & RRM, Mountune Quick Shift Kit, Tune+ Stage I ProTune, Mishi Rad/Oil Cooler, StopTech BBK, Rota Grid 17x8

0%
    Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals

State
    FL
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm also getting a clunk shifting into 1st from a dead stop and at slow speeds tapping on the gas pedal. That could be a RMM but shifting into 1st while stopped has me fooled. Maybe tranny? Also the at higher RPM's no noticeable clunk when shifting. Have another appointment with the dealer to see what the "Tech Hotline" wants to try.

0%
    Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals

State
    FL
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm also getting a clunk shifting into 1st from a dead stop and at slow speeds tapping on the gas pedal. That could be a RMM but shifting into 1st while stopped has me fooled. Maybe tranny? Also the at higher RPM's no noticeable clunk when shifting. Have another appointment with the dealer to see what the "Tech Hotline" wants to try. I bought a Cobb RMM but waiting for Ford to exhaust all their efforts. Will suggest that they check the torque on the RMM as someone mentioned.
    Installed the Cobb RMM and can still some clunking sounds shifting. Guess it's just normal transmission parts moving around or internal play.
    Not going to pursue the issue anymore as everything works OK.
    Last edited by DixST; 12-07-2017 at 10:58 PM.

Senior Member 982 Rep Points TyphoonFiST's Avatar
    Ratings | Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals
    Earned First 100 Posts Earned First 500 Posts Earned First 1000 Posts Earned First 2000 Posts Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points Earned First 200 Rep Points Earned First 1500 Posts and 300 Rep Points Earned First 2000 Posts and 400 Rep Points
    State
    MN
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Had the clunking also right away....not even 1k out on my 15'...brought to the dealer...dismissed me as Normal....put in a Boomba RMM....problem gone.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by TyphoonFiST; 07-11-2018 at 03:03 AM.
    Is this your bush? Are you king of the forest?

Member 42 Rep Points

Member #
    Medals
    Earned First 100 Posts Earned First 25 Rep Points
    State
    IL
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you have audio of the clunking?

My transmission makes a soft clunking sound as well when shifting, has been doing it since day one and I have 37K worry-free miles. My previous car, a 2012 Fiesta 5-speed, also made a lot of noise when shifting, and I put 56K miles on that with no issues.

It's still an economy car, so you will likely hear more of the mechanics than in other cars (engine is loud too). It is likely normal but an audio clip would help others diagnose your problem. Unless it sounds like a grinding issue or the sound gets louder/changes over time, I wouldn't worry too much about it.
    2015 OW Fiesta ST2
    Intake - CP-E
    Intercooler/Piping - CP-E FMIC; MBRP hot side charge pipe
    Tune - Stratified; 93 and E30
    Aesthetics - 35% tint; no-pistons dead pedal; all weather mats, XPEL clear-bra; TFB badge overlays; carbon-fiber plates; Mountune splitter

New Member 13 Rep Points
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals

State
    NC
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had an open thread documenting the same issue accompanied by popping when reversing out of my drive way with the wheel turned. They replaced the half shafts on my 2016 and the issue went away.

Member 17 Rep Points
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals
    Earned First 100 Posts
    State
    NC
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It’s literally just our transmissions that are noisy /thread

Senior Member 360 Rep Points

Member #
    Medals
    Earned First 100 Posts Earned First 500 Posts Earned First 1000 Posts Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points Earned First 200 Rep Points
    State
    OH
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    First started hearing at 1k but the noise comes and goes... and it's a loud "clack" rather than a dull clunk. But I also ride with my windows open. I suspect it has to do with how I "land" on the joints when I release the clutch. There's too much slack somewhere in the drive train. How fast or slow it's moving has no impact. How "smooth" the clutch release is, has an impact. New, the axle shafts were rusted when everything surrounding them was bright and clean. If replacing the axle shafts has no impact, then it has to be internal to the differential/transmission... which reminds me that I've wanted to swap out the factory trans fluid. Anyway, if we start to get reports about axle shafts breaking, we'll know. Until then, it just remains a noisy embarrassment that in ignorance to observers, may be chalked-up as, "there goes another Powershift Transmission...".

I *really* have rev the living snot out of it get any rear motor mount contact and therefore have no plans to mess with that. No out-of-the-ordinary noises, either in occurrence or volume when shifting into first at a stop. There's barely any noise at all under those circumstances.
    2016 Ford Fiesta ST Kona Blue ; Engine, Suspension will remain untouched ; Southwest Ohio ; Winter: 215/45R17 Continental ; Seasonal: 205/40R17 Bridgestone

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast