Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Considering a 2014 Ford Fiesta ST, thoughts?

I'm looking to buy my first car soon. I've always driven SUV's and I'm looking to get a fun daily driver.

I'm looking at this fiesta on carmax: https://www.carmax.com/car/14702750

I'm also looking at a 2011 Honda Civic Si w 70k miles. And a 2013 Scion FR-S w 105k miles.

I like the Fiesta ST because of the way it looks, turbo, heated seats, sun roof, etc. It has all of the features I would like, and lower mileage, but would cost about $4k miles more than the other two.

Some guys on other forums had mentioned reliability issues so I wanted to post here and see what you all thought? Is this true?

The obvious choice for me would be the Civic, since Honda is so well known for its reliability. I'm sure Ford has gotten better, but I grew up driving a Ford Explorer and it had tons of issues.

Just hoping to get overall opinions and what not. I don't currently know how to drive stick so I'll be learning on the fly but I think I can handle it.

The price seems a little high in my opinion. I purchased my 2014 this past June for 14,200 from a local ford dealership. It had 32k, recaros, and even had an intake and RMM upgrade. Not that the mods make it cost more but saved me a few hundred in mods I would end up doing anyways. I’d be patient and keep looking around. Have you driven all three yet?

OP
T
Thread Starter #3
No I haven't actually. I don't know how to drive manual currently (I sort of understand how but don't have much experience).

The only one that is close enough for me to drive is the Civic. My area seems to really suck for nice used cars.

I’d definitely try to drive each car you’re interested in before making a decision. After test driving a civic, compared to the gti and fiST, I crossed it off my list at the time. Everyone is different and you may prefer one over the other. Good luck and be patient.

DaveG99

A guy local to me is selling his 2014 for $10500. Best deal anywhere and its a well carefored car

DaveG99

He posted it on fist of fury facebook page and the North Texas ST page.

65k and black

I had a 8th gen civic prior to my st. Cool car but pretty meh imo. I bought a used 09 civic Si 4 door had tons of issues honestly. Rear brakes constantly seized, lost coolant and oil. I really think I had a lemon but that's the concerns with used cars so I went for a new fist and couldn't be happier. You really have to ring out NA hondas and for someone that can't drive stick yet I just get weird with high rpm shifting just my opinion. I got 25 mpg with the si driving v slow I get 35-40 with the fiesta with similar driving. Oil changes on the si are a pain cause you should normally remove the front wheel. Fiesta is faster stock vs stock no doubt. Much more useable torque in the fiesta. I'm sure you will here allot of people talk up the Fist here and for goodness reason. Kept stock I doubt you would have and reliability issues with the fiesta. It is a very good car! I would rank fiesta st or frs if I were buying new car. used can have allot of different factors im sure you can get good deals on a used civic si . Ether way get any of them they are all fun choices.

zanethan

Carmax is almost always a rip off. They prey on the convenience factor in that the price is the price. While they might be convenient you're going to pay a premium for it.

As far as the 3 options listed I would stay away from that particular BRZ, 105k is a lot of miles on a car that was likely abused for a decent part of its life. The Honda also had higher mileage than I would consider but it is also a Honda as you mentioned.

As far as reliability goes there's a member on here with 180k miles on his FiST with no major issues. That being said there are also some that have less than positive experiences. My think is that those who have poor experiences tend to blow them out of proportion due to emotions. No car is perfect and will eventually have issues.

I cannot comment on driving dynamics as I've only driven the FiST. Between the 3 I'd eliminate the Honda as I doubt it'll be as fun as the BRZ or FiST. Between those two you can't really go wrong unless you need a back seat.

Zissou

That price is way high for how many miles are on it.

Our forum has a classifieds section here
www.fiestastforum.com/forum/forums/95-Cars-For-Sale
At the very least it should give you an idea of what pricing would be.

As far as you not knowing how to drive stick - this is a super easy car to learn on. The clutch is easy, the shifting is buttery smooth, and it has hill start assist.

Link seems to not work on Tapatalk. Keeps redirecting the classified to some random article. Way to be Tapatalk

Last edited:

CSM

1000 Post Club
WAYY to high of a price for that car. Someone mentioned the car from TX thats posted on FB page...Thats a good deal if its still available.

Also FWIW I test drove a 2011 civic SI back to back with my 2014 Fiesta ST and the Fiesta couldn't have been more fun. I made the right choice

OP
T
Thread Starter #12
Thank you all for the suggestions. I am still really interested in getting a Fiesta ST. My budget starting out was pretty low at $10-12k, so I may need to bump it up some, but I've been looking for new-ish Fiesta ST's.

I found this one but it seems way too cheap: https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...l?listingId=452637559&hideBackLink=true&Log=0

It says "Price includes: $3,000 - Retail Customer Cash. Exp. "

And im not sure what that means..

CSM

1000 Post Club
Thank you all for the suggestions. I am still really interested in getting a Fiesta ST. My budget starting out was pretty low at $10-12k, so I may need to bump it up some, but I've been looking for new-ish Fiesta ST's.

I found this one but it seems way too cheap: https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...l?listingId=452637559&hideBackLink=true&Log=0

It says "Price includes: $3,000 - Retail Customer Cash. Exp. "

And im not sure what that means..
That seems really low. I've noticed a lot of dealers will use a tactic where they list the price as if the buyer qualifies for ALL available rebates. However, most people won't qualify for all rebates, so the low price is very misleading. Its worth a call at least, doesn't hurt at all.

The $3,000 customer cash is a rebate on top of the agreed price. So my understanding is that you negotiate a purchase price and then Ford offers a $3,000 cash rebate off the agreed price. It's usually combined with special finance rates depending on your credit history. $3,000 back is a pretty good deal and I think this offer goes through 1/2/18

OP
T
Thread Starter #14
That seems really low. I've noticed a lot of dealers will use a tactic where they list the price as if the buyer qualifies for ALL available rebates. However, most people won't qualify for all rebates, so the low price is very misleading. Its worth a call at least, doesn't hurt at all.

The $3,000 customer cash is a rebate on top of the agreed price. So my understanding is that you negotiate a purchase price and then Ford offers a $3,000 cash rebate off the agreed price. It's usually combined with special finance rates depending on your credit history. $3,000 back is a pretty good deal and I think this offer goes through 1/2/18
$3k is a pretty big deal.. so that rebate is good on any new FiST then, right?

greenhorn

Hi all
I am looking at buying a 2014 ST
Something like
https://www.carmax.com/car/15494687
What would you say is a good price?
I prefer to buy a car new and drive till it dies, but I will have to sell the car in 2 years due to my Employment, so looking at something a bit further along the depreciation curve
For those of you who have older cars, how long did your clutch last?
I know it depends on the driver too - -I have been driving stick all my life, and in my last car, had the clutch changed at 30K(Warranty issue) at 3 years and 70K(worn out) at 11 years - all of it city driving
Thanks,
g

Truth in Ruin

1000 Post Club
Hi all
Something like
I prefer to buy a car new and drive till it dies, but I will have to sell the car in 2 years due to my Employment, so looking at something a bit further along the depreciation curve
I know it depends on the driver too - -I have been driving stick all my life, and in my last car, had the clutch changed at 30K(Warranty issue) at 3 years and 70K(worn out) at 11 years - all of it city driving
Thanks,
g
If you don’t care about Recaro seats- you can get a FiST quite a bit cheaper than that.

I think the clutch on these cars are pretty stout.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Hi all
Something like
Thanks,
g
That price is high I saw a 2014 on Car Gurus today with just over 100k for 8k