Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

whoosh brand catted 3" downpipe is here....

Trader history for ron@whoosh (1)

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I would be willing to do the test fit. I work at a dealer so i could install right away. I would need the adapter for the stock exhaust and the vibrant O2 sensor defouler, but other than that i could have it installed right away.
Why would you need a de fouler? This is supposed to be a direct fit from the stocker as far as I know....unless Ron states otherwise.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

kevinatfms

Why would you need a de fouler? This is supposed to be a direct fit from the stocker as far as I know....unless Ron states otherwise.

Even when the 200 cell cat comes out you will more than likely need a defouler due to the catalytic converter only being a 200 cell count versus a factory converter which is almost double that. On a stock to mild tune that keeps the downstream O2 sensor working will likely see low catalyst efficiency codes pop up.

Some high flow cat pipes do not trigger a code but I have a feeling with as sensitive as the Fiesta's tune is now i would expect it to set it.

HBEcoBeaST

Even when the 200 cell cat comes out you will more than likely need a defouler due to the catalytic converter only being a 200 cell count versus a factory converter which is almost double that. On a stock to mild tune that keeps the downstream O2 sensor working will likely see low catalyst efficiency codes pop up.

Some high flow cat pipes do not trigger a code but I have a feeling with as sensitive as the Fiesta's tune is now i would expect it to set it.
Wouldn't you need a defouler only when you went in for SMOG? I thought any pro tune would eliminate the CEL

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

kevinatfms

Wouldn't you need a defouler only when you went in for SMOG? I thought any pro tune would eliminate the CEL

Unless Cobb has EPA approval to change the threshold for the catalyst efficiency i dont think a ProTune will bypass the converter approval. H&S, HP tuners, SCT, Diablosport and a few other tuning companies were busted a few years ago doing this by the EPA. The EPA required the tuning companies to remove the ability to eliminate the catalyst efficiency codes and only enable them to be used with an offroad tune(which sets the P1000 code).

Now, handheld tuners even with localized access to the ECM only have the option to turn it on/off. When on, it reads the post cat efficiency like stock, requiring a defouler. When turned off, at emissions testing they will see the P1000 code come into play which the emissions station will read as emissions are "not ready". Which is not a "pass" here in MD.

I am out of the loop with the Access Port though and they may have more open ended software than others.

HBEcoBeaST

Unless Cobb has EPA approval to change the threshold for the catalyst efficiency i dont think a ProTune will bypass the converter approval. H&S and a few other tuning companies were busted a few years ago doing this. Now, handheld tuners even with localized access to the ECM only have the option to turn it on/off. When on, it reads the post cat efficiency like stock, requiring a defouler. When turned off, at emissions testing you will see the P1000 code come into play which the emissions station will read as emissions are "not ready". Which is not a "pass" here in MD.

I am out of the loop with the Access Port though and they may have more open ended software than others.
Right. The defouler would have to be run with a tune that allows the readiness monitor for the cat to be ON. Stratified has an option for this on their tunes. It's not EPA compliant but just another way to 'cheat' the test since SMOG is usually just a readiness monitor check anyways.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
This is the exasct reason I am happy we have no more Room of Doom in Mn....that shit is a joke..most of our Tunes are for "off=road"...

Bluedrank

Right. The defouler would have to be run with a tune that allows the readiness monitor for the cat to be ON. Stratified has an option for this on their tunes. It's not EPA compliant but just another way to 'cheat' the test since SMOG is usually just a readiness monitor check anyways.

How do you get that with the Stratified tunes? Is that something you need to request in advance or is it just automatically done?

To all who are interested in this downpipe:
Ron sent me the "test pipe" to be fitted, that will soon be the new Whoosh Brand Catted Downpipe. First Impressions...Its beautiful. I'm always a sucker for a nicely welded stainless steel piece. This true 3" dp has a great shape, and (once that horribly burried stock cat is out) is easy to install, even with the Vibrant De-Fouler, the 02 sensor still had plenty of room. This downpipe would probably be most ideal for a 2.5"-3" cat-back, but I'm happy to report that with the supplied aluminum spacer, it will bolt-up to your stock exhaust (which is what I've done). If you do decide to install this down-pipe with the stock exhaust, I'd recommend using a stock flange gasket, spray it down with some copper spray-a-gasket, and use just that (the supplied gasket is more for an aftermarket exhaust).
I absolutely love this downpipe... the car sounds great, even with the stock exhaust. Nice little burbles and pops from the exhaust and the turbo sounds are much more profound. What a difference... its spooling quicker and certainly feels quicker.
Ron has mentioned that he wants to be able to sell this for around $300 shipped....for a 200 cell catted downpipe... and I'll be the first to tell you, at that price...it's a steal. I think this is exactly what alot of FiST drivers have been looking for, an affordable, high quality, catted downpipe and it gets my stamp.
If anyone has any questions...feel free to ask.

Last edited:
To all who are interested in this downpipe:
Ron sent me the "test pipe" to be fitted, that will soon be the new Whoosh Brand Catted Downpipe. First Impressions...Its beautiful. I'm always a sucker for a nicely welded stainless steel piece. This true 3" dp has a great shape, and (once that horribly burried stock cat is out) is easy to install, even with the Vibrant De-Fouler, the 02 sensor still had plenty of room. This downpipe would probably be most ideal for a 2.5"-3" cat-back, but I'm happy to report that with the supplied aluminum spacer, it will bolt-up to your stock exhaust (which is what I've done). If you do decide to install this down-pipe with the stock exhaust, I'd recommend using a stock flange gasket, spray it down with some copper spray-a-gasket, and use just that (the supplied gasket is more for an aftermarket exhaust).
I absolutely love this downpipe... the car sounds great, even with the stock exhaust. Nice little burbles and pops from the exhaust and the turbo sounds are much more profound. What a difference... its spooling quicker and certainly feels quicker.
Ron has mentioned that he wants to be able to sell this for around $300 shipped....for a 200 cell catted downpipe... and I'll be the first to tell you, at that price...it's a steal. I think this is exactly what alot of FiST drivers have been looking for, an affordable, high quality, catted downpipe and it gets my stamp.
If anyone has any questions...feel free to ask.

Sorry if I missed it but you mentioned the defouler. Are you running this on the stock tune?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
RON is the vibrant de fouler really needed if the vehicle is going to be tuned?I thought the tuner can shut off the light for the rear o2 for "off-road" purposes? Correct me if I'm wrong someone please....I just had a vibrant de fouler with a non catted Dp....I hope I don't need It again!

RON the vibrant de fouler really needed if the vehicle is going to be tuned?I thought the tuner can shut off the light for the rear o2 for "off-road" purposes? Correct me if I'm wrong someone please....I just had a vibrant de fouler with a non catted Dp....I hope I don't need It again!

You're right. Due to the fact that my car doesn't have a tune and this tester doesn't have a true "cat" I needed it for my specific application.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
You're right. Due to the fact that my car doesn't have a tune and this tester doesn't have a true "cat" I needed it for my specific application.
Pics are corrupt....may need to download a different way in previous post.