Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

ST Octane Academy 2018 Registration OPEN

I just got back from the Academy yesterday. It was an awesome experience and highly recommend it. It is a shame it will not be available once these cars are discontinued. I guess the 350GT will have to be the next one, the instructor joked about an Edge ST course too.

I showed up a day early and hung out around the complex. I watched some of the RS autocross stuff, some off-road racing, some of the Octane Academy afternoon track session, and did some karting. The karting was a little underwhelming but got me a little more prepped for the next day. My only high-speed cornering/racing experience is virtual as a long time Gran Turismo player, and some windy roads where I live.

We ran the track stuff in the morning. We started in the class room, then a van ride around the east track to get acquainted, then we did lead follow in the Focus and Fiesta, then I got to go without an instructor first, then an instructor got in and coached me through some laps. The instructor pretty much said I was braking to late, and that the tires should just "moan" and not squeal so much in corners, but I think they were just trying to save their tires and brakes a little. I think I had the lines down fairly well (except the third corner from the straight), and kept the speed up in the Fiesta. Then we got to ride with the instructor who showed me how hard to really brake and a little about how to get the back end to come around by lifting the throttle in a corner. You pretty much stay in the 3rd the whole track, there are a couple straights I would hit the rev limiter long enough before a braking zone to want to shift to 4th briefly.

I got a chance to drive the Focus and am glad I bought the Fiesta. Other than the shifter being higher and a little tighter and the extra power, I felt the Fiesta was just a lot more fun, nimble, agile, tight, etc. The Focus just felt more loose in general, the seats didn't hug me as much, the suspension and steering weren't as tight, etc. But it definitely got on it a lot faster out of the corners which was a nice feeling. But I kind of like to think of myself as a purest anyway and want to get the most efficient line and carry the most speed as possible and not rely on the additional power anyway.

I bought the insurance and was kind of glad I had it, I am risk averse and it helped my piece of mind. The one time I really came loose out of a corner I had images running through my head of needing it. I felt I was pushing pretty hard and had some times I wasn't sure I would be able to stay off the gravel. There was plenty of evidence of people losing control on the track, but I think only one person in our group went off road. I also got a little close to a bumper under braking during the lead follow. My fastest time around the track was somewhere around 2:04. Below two minutes would be ideal for sure in a Fiesta. I didn't look at the tires, but somebody said they were the all-seasons and not the summer tires. The Fiestas had wilwood brake kits, and most likely a RMM, everything else felt pretty stock minus the roll cage and hydraulic e-brake handle sticking up next to the steering wheel.

After lunch, the second half of the day was training on the autocross course, including the figure 8, 180 turn, and 90 degree parking slide in the autocross section, then onto practice laps on the full course, and one timed lap.

I am pretty sure I got the fastest time in the autocross portion of the day with a 53.454. The next closest was 54.2 something. However, I screwed up the last slide into the parking box maneuver and only got two wheels in the box. I think I had a pretty good run minus that, except I came in to hot on the first set of barrels on the figure 8 section and had all the traction control systems working to make that turn.

The last thing I did was the skidcar which was fun and I learned a little, but I still will probably just try to avoid road conditions that lead to severe understeer or oversteer.

I had a great time, I can't wait for my next opportunity for some track time.
53.454? Damn, our guys were running 48 seconds lol no way I could have won that.

Anyone know if they're gonna continue the Academy for 1 more year for those of us that bought (or are waiting on our car to be built) in 2018?

I REALLY want to go, but everything is booked up for 2018 already. [thumbdown]

That brings up the big question no one has the confirmed answer to, what happens after the last model year for the STs, since Ford is putting an end to them in the States

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I recently bought 18' FiST back in May and called the Academy the first day to schedule my appointment just to find out that the REST of the 2018 calendar year is FULLY booked! I went to the website which didn't offer much information so I called and I asked when 2019 Registration will open and got a very vague answer - guy said to call back around Thanksgiving & thats all he said... -___-

I plan to call them once a month until someone can give me a more definitive answer regarding 2019 Registration but it seems that spots fill up stupid quick so I guess we'll just have to wait and see .... I will note that If they don't allow us 2018 owners to attend, I'm definitely gonna write FORD a letter stating how disappointing I would be if I won't be able to take this opportunity since it was part of the sales pitch and an experience promoted heavily within the Performance & ST line of vehicles

I suggest just keep checking the website periodically; cancellations occur and then slots open up until that's filled (how I ended up going). Also, I asked the staff about what the future of the 'ST' Academy would be since these will soon no longer be around for sale... They didn't know.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I bought my new 17 ST on 03/31/18 and I didn't even know about the ST Academy until the salesman told me about it so went home and scheduled a class for 09/17/18 and it was one of only a few classes left so I'm pretty excited to go in a few months. COOP

MKVIIST

5000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
Ask to be put on the waitlist, people cancel all the time. Be prepared for short notice though
I agree with this, give them a call and put yourself on a waitlist. I did that at last years RS academy.

I went to the October 8th class and it was awesome! Even snagged first place in the urban autox competition. Truly was worth it as I learned a lot about high performance driving and the overall limits of the car.