Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Getting warranty work on paint

Here's some of my worst from various body panels.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

The paint on my rear hatch is flaking around the bezel. Ford claims it is from an "outside force". If you can call opening and closing the door to be an outside force...

The paint on my rear hatch is flaking around the bezel. Ford claims it is from an "outside force". If you can call opening and closing the door to be an outside force...
For some reason the pics aren't loading for me. Could just be my phone internet sucks but that's what they told me too and I believe a few others... I would fight that. They keep trying to say that for us even tho they know this is an ongoing issue. It's not right that they keep doing that. They tried to tell me it looks like someone took a knife in between it... like for one I'm pretty sure nobody is trying to steal a piece of plastic off a Ford Fiesta lol and 2 who does that to a new car... it's really blowing my mind that they keep using that excuse.

Here's some of my worst from various body panels.

Thanks jtuffy96 for sharing these when you did!

I'm currently in a battle with Ford and the Ford body shop over my Orange Spice Fiesta.

Nothing on the car matches, around my headlights and where the bumper/fender meet are peeling (I don't even know how to remove the bumper lol), I have a chip in the rear hatch, and now I noticed that my 3 of the 4 doors, rear hatch, and moonroof have corrosion. The dealership wants the car to be bought back (also having mechanical issues as well) since they can't replicate the paint. And Ford says to stop calling their support, the bodyshop is the only way to go through ford and have things handled from this point out.

The car was purchased in February and only has 6500 miles on it.

Thanks jtuffy96 for sharing these when you did!

I'm currently in a battle with Ford and the Ford body shop over my Orange Spice Fiesta.

Nothing on the car matches, around my headlights and where the bumper/fender meet are peeling (I don't even know how to remove the bumper lol), I have a chip in the rear hatch, and now I noticed that my 3 of the 4 doors, rear hatch, and moonroof have corrosion. The dealership wants the car to be bought back (also having mechanical issues as well) since they can't replicate the paint. And Ford says to stop calling their support, the bodyshop is the only way to go through ford and have things handled from this point out.

The car was purchased in February and only has 6500 miles on it.
That's insane! I feel like we need form a group or something and take this to the top. It's getting ridiculous. 6,500 miles and corrosion already... I have about 13k on mine and the corrosion has started. Neither of us or anybody else on this thread should be having these issues on basically brand new cars. I have been talking to a lemon lawyer myself. Once I get my car back is the last step. Been in since Monday and havent heard anything from them yet.

Got my car back today... didn’t really want them hovering over me to look at it and try to make excuses about so I waited until I got home to check it. Let’s just say it doesn’t looked that great. There is still some bubbling and spidering along the seams. Not as bad but it’s still there. There is also divots everywhere in the paint like the surface wasn’t clean when they painted it. Under the hood there was a chunk of paint missing and it looks like they just sprayed over it so it’s raised and deformed... what a nightmare this has been.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3 doors, Hatch and hood having this issue for me as well. I'm in Victoria BC, which is the Hawaii of Canada and my car is garaged every night. It's a 2015 Race Red with just under 40k kms.
I'm the 2nd owner of the car and still have warranty however. Going to a local dealer for an inspection tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Update: I went to a different ford dealer and they got me in right away. They fixed the issue with no problems. The body shop that did the work did a good job. The only issue was that the ST badge was on backorder, so i have to wait for it to come in. I'll probably just have them install my octane academy badges.

Wow that corrosion is something I would expect on a 20 year old GM. I would be shocked if the upper inside part of the door frame actually corrodes all the way through and causes a hole. I have never seen a car with a rusty top part of a door frame. As much as it sucks to have that quality issue it may be worth the effort to sand down the bubbling areas and use touch up paint and keep an eye on the areas. I would rather do that than have some hack job repair. Also after painting it use a little dab of cavity wax across the seam and fill the bottom of the door. That stuff keeps my 1982 Dodge solid and I treated the underside of the Fiesta with it all ready.

lan.n

I have a 16 Fist with 41000 km. Bought new. I am from Calgary Alberta Canada. About a 2 weeks ago (March 1) my wife noticed rusting on the hatch. I rubbed off some rust and the seam sealant broke off. I was wondering if it was my fault because I pretty much wash my car about once every 2 weeks in winter to take the salt away. But I am glad it wasn't because of my doing and it a ford defect.

Went to the dealer to complain (March 5) at 2:00 pm. Saw the auto body assistant manager and she took pictures of it and said tomorrow she will talk to her manager and sent it to ford. I mentioned why is it rusting after 3 years of ownership and that I have been washing the car about once every 3 weeks (But really did not want to tell them I have been washing it more often). Furthermore, explaining what was mentioned by other members here that rust should not be forming that quickly.

Next day, the auto body manager called over the phone and told me ford is not going to cover it because it is not corroding through the metal (as mention by members). They quoted me $1300 CAD to repaint and disassemble/reassemble the hatch.

I called ford service via the website on March 6. Lets just say it was a waste of 20 minutes. Pretty much repeated the same thing and was not helpful. No empathy at all.

The next day (March 7), I wanted to test my luck again, called the dealership to talk to the auto body manager and said I am coming down to see you. My reasoning for this, is that the manager himself did not see the rusting himself.

Spoke with him and he said its not as bad as the picture and it has not "corroded" through the metal. Because I was still under warranty for 6 months, he suggested I poke a hole in the same area of the panel every day to create a rust hole......

I mentioned to him that it is not my fault that this happened and that it was a defect in the paint. At that moment the auto body manager suggested a "TAPE TEST" to see if paint would peel off after taping it on to the panel. (He was using Scotchblue painters tape).
To our surprise it peeled off area of the tape which was a lot.

Next day (March 8), got a voicemail from him and he said that the ford will cover it under warranty for paint chipping that caused oxidation of the panel.

From talking to him today to make my appointment (March 11), he said the the hatch needs to be sanded down and the whole hatch needs to be repainted. My appointment is set for March 25 and will take 3 to 4 days to get done.

What I learned from this experience is that you need to be persistent and keep complaining. Also you may need a ford employee like this manager (Nick) as he himself was a car guy and in his youth (maybe late 20s, early 30s).... in my opinion this guy was more helpful than everyone that work at the dealership (Marlborough Ford)... We need people like him.

Here are some pictures of the hatch. First set are before cleaning it and the second set is after I cleaned. Note it is winter still.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/G6FR7CcJbWDBHzoe6

As the rust is coming through from behind the paint... it's a "moisture in a panel" issue I think. Sanding and painting over the problem is like take Tylenol for a brain tumor.
We just sold my wife's 2016 w/ 19k miles because of water leaks and rusting of doors and hatch. I'm selling my 2016 w/ 25k miles soon for similar Ford issues. I'm not waiting for Ford to blow me off for this stuff when it's much more serious in a few years.

We now have a 2017 STi and a 2018 WRX. The FiST and this forum have really died in the last year or so.... sad, but progress marches on! The FiST is still the best drving FWD, just not the best made.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
As the rust is coming through from behind the paint... it's a "moisture in a panel" issue I think. Sanding and painting over the problem is like take Tylenol for a brain tumor.
We just sold my wife's 2016 w/ 19k miles because of water leaks and rusting of doors and hatch. I'm selling my 2016 w/ 25k miles soon for similar Ford issues. I'm not waiting for Ford to blow me off for this stuff when it's much more serious in a few years.

We now have a 2017 STi and a 2018 WRX. The FiST and this forum have really died in the last year or so.... sad, but progress marches on! The FiST is still the best drving FWD, just not the best made.
Meh I wouldn't say their build Quality is any better there bud....every manufacturer has its own sets of issues. To each their own I guess...The FiST forum has new members weekly....not monthly or bi-monthly....so I wouldn't call things slowing down at all by any means....more and more great choices from The vendors come out quite often with new pieces never been seen or new choices from across the pond. Good luck out there....enjoy the Fuel economy!

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Meh I wouldn't say their build Quality is any better there bud....every manufacturer has its own sets of issues. To each their own I guess...The FiST forum has new members weekly....not monthly or bi-monthly....so I wouldn't call things slowing down at all by any means....more and more great choices from The vendors come out quite often with new pieces never been seen or new choices from across the pond. Good luck out there....enjoy the Fuel economy!

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
I fully agree. I love all the new parts coming out.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Ya its not died so mich as changed member wise. Lot of originals either got ficklle amd jumped ship or decided there efforts and desires fell towards different vehicles.

Shit happens, some that look like die hards really weren’t others stuck around, new came. We live in a very different world where a lot are quite transient about stuff like cars. Two years and out the door mentality.

Meh I wouldn't say their build Quality is any better there bud....every manufacturer has its own sets of issues.
Agreed about everyone having issues. But the FiST had water leaks, roof trim issues, multiple blend door motors, rusting and climate control issues in BOTH Fords. There are not issues on the Subaru. Yes, they have problems, but I WOULD SAY IT'S BETTER bud.

To each their own I guess...The FiST forum has new members weekly....not monthly or bi-monthly....so I wouldn't call things slowing down at all by any means....
I still get on Miata.net and read about the 99 miata. There are still new members joining there but it's a diminishing community. Mostly young punks wanting to mod their now affordable cars.

more and more great choices from The vendors come out quite often with new pieces never been seen or new choices from across the pond.
Good luck out there....
Not disagreeing

enjoy the Fuel economy!
Nice jab there at the end. You sure got me.

Just a little update on my situation. Paint has started to flake and bubble and rust has started to form again... Car basically sat for most of the winter in a garage so back to Ford I go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk