Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Getting warranty work on paint

Jkillah

So I brought my 2016 ST to my local dealer to get warranty work approved to be done.
Three things needed addressing.
1. Roof trim coming up from the body
2. Door frame vinyl wrinkling and coming up
3. Paint chips where the trim piece for the ford emblem on the hatch Sits against the body on the edges meet. On both sides Symmetrical of each other.

They get back to me 2 days later because he took pics and sent it to Ford for approval.

This is his reply:
Good Morning Jordan, Sorry for the late response for I was off yesterday. We can replace the roof and the side molding for you. Ford is saying that after a close look the missing paint appears to be do to exterior damage.
Ford is saying that the paint chips are considered to be the result of damage from an outside source. That being said they denied the claim. We do have a paint guy that could touch that up for you for pretty cheap. Or I can see how much a tube of touch up paint cost for you.

Im lowkey annoyed the paint chips are denied work but everything else is okayed. On a 2016 new car I believe this should not be happening. My 97 civic had better paint and no chips flaking off on its own.

How should I go about this? Different dealer?

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
The paint on my 16 is surprisingly thin: you will get chips anyways: i would get the touch up paint and just take care of it.

DangerMouse

I had the roof trim pieces replaced, the hatch repainted and the door vinyl trim all covered under warranty. Unfortunately the vinyl door trim is already wrinkling again, it was perfect when I got the car back. The hatch trim piece isn't very secure and vibrates causing the paint to chip. It's a very common issue. They beefed up the way it mounts and it doesn't move now.

I would keep on them or go above them direct to ford.

So my Ford dealer tried to pull a fast one on me when I had all of the above repaired aside from the roof strips. When you receive your car back from repair you should check the following below.

Exterior window trim: The clips break upon removal.
Front Driver/Passenger upper corner door seal clips: They're a one time use clip, and super fragile.
Rear Driver/Passenger upper corner clips and adhesive strips: Again the clips are pretty much one time use and the adhesive tape doesn't reapply well after its been removed.

My dealer ended up replacing all of the above to just replace the vinyl. That was after I called them out on gluing pieces back on and using improper warranty repair methods. This was with the onsite dealer body shop. Go over everything thoroughly!

3. Paint chips where the trim piece for the ford emblem on the hatch Sits against the body on the edges meet. On both sides Symmetrical of each other.

Ford is saying that after a close look the missing paint appears to be do to exterior damage.

Ford is saying that the paint chips are considered to be the result of damage from an outside source. That being said they denied the claim.
Seems to me that several members have had this same problem.

Why don't you develop a list of those members and go higher up to Ford en masse?

Mine was fixed under warranty and started flaking again 100 miles later.... yay. Has anyone had this issue properly resolved?

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Seems to me that several members have had this same problem.

Why don't you develop a list of those members and go higher up to Ford en masse?
I got a car lemon lawed for repeated paint chipping, over 3 visits for repainting around the front emblem in the first 8 months of ownership. Took the car out of service for a cumulative total of over 30 days, in my state that's lemon law replacement time.

So I brought my 2016 ST to my local dealer to get warranty work approved to be done.
Three things needed addressing.
1. Roof trim coming up from the body
2. Door frame vinyl wrinkling and coming up

They get back to me 2 days later because he took pics and sent it to Ford for approval.

This is his reply:
Good Morning Jordan, Sorry for the late response for I was off yesterday. We can replace the roof and the side molding for you. Ford is saying that after a close look the missing paint appears to be do to exterior damage.
Ford is saying that the paint chips are considered to be the result of damage from an outside source. That being said they denied the claim. We do have a paint guy that could touch that up for you for pretty cheap. Or I can see how much a tube of touch up paint cost for you.

Im lowkey annoyed the paint chips are denied work but everything else is okayed. On a 2016 new car I believe this should not be happening. My 97 civic had better paint and no chips flaking off on its own.

How should I go about this? Different dealer?
I had a problem in the same spots as you on my 2017 FiST 2 months after I got it. I was told the same thing as you too. Ford said "looks like someone used a screw driver in between the 2 pieces". It's a common problem apparently. I was persistent though and after 3 weeks it finally got approved along with bubble I had forming on the roof. I say either be persistent because I promise the damage wasn't from an outside source or you can try a different dealer but sometimes you just got to keep nagging them until they give in lol. Hope your issue gets resolved!

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I am joining this thread as I have now found paint Chipping near the joint between the hatch and the handle. I'm @ 37k . It should be covered shouldn't it under the 5 yr / unlimited mile Corrosion? I hope I don't have to fight this with them. No work has been done in that area since I got the car. What are the best repairs others have found? [thumb]

I am joining this thread as I have now found paint Chipping near the joint between the hatch and the handle. I'm @ 37k . It should be covered shouldn't it under the 5 yr / unlimited mile Corrosion? I hope I don't have to fight this with them. No work has been done in that area since I got the car. What are the best repairs others have found? [thumb]
Sadly you might have to fight them on this... they will more then likely tell you it was from an outside source (like someone did it to your vehicle). This was the answer I got and a couple others as well... mine started at 2k miles and it took 4 weeks of back and forth before Ford finally decided to re paint the whole hatch. I was told the paint was only a 1 year warranty? Maybe you got a different deal though. Just be persistent though and eventually they will give in if you are still under warranty. Best of luck to you!

zanethan

You will have to fight. Ford only accept corrosion claims if the corrosion is through the panel.

If it were my car, unless it's really bad I would not want them repainting anything. Getting panels to match, especially with some FiST tri-coat colors, will be hard. Some skilled folks can work magic touching things up. Every dealer has someone come in to fix the damage they do to customer cars. Get the name of their person from the dealership.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
If it were my car, unless it's really bad I would not want them repainting anything. Getting panels to match, especially with some FiST tri-coat colors, will be hard. Some skilled folks can work magic touching things up. Every dealer has someone come in to fix the damage they do to customer cars. Get the name of their person from the dealership.
I had a chat with the dealer body shop...said they would take pics and submit it...sometimes they will do it...sometimes they won't. I also contacted a chip and bumper repair shop also. Awaiting their response. I'm most like going to end up using the chip people...because I think for will give me the short end of the stick.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

I had TWO warranty claims for paint, one of a 2015 Fiesta ST Tuxedo Black and a 2017 Fiesta ST White Tri-coat. In both instances, paint "bubbling" or "spidering" occurred from beneath the paint at the bottom seals of the four passenger doors for the black car, and only the rear hatch for the white.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Speak of the Devil.,.....My update is that my servicing dealer said pound sand about my paint issue. Called up Ford support...They said to bring it back to the purchasing dealer since I'm @37k. if I would've known that I had to constantly hawk my paint with my car I would've. But figuring it being a newer car and bought completely new id should've have that thought enter my mind for years. So now I am bringing it back to my Dealer I bought it at and see if they will fix it. I'm gonna get the shaft....This is typical case of they have my money and don't care now to take care of me when the product they sold has inferior paint applied on it. [?|] oh I was told it will be about $600 to fix the gate the right way.

Welp, I was drying off the little monster yesterday and saw the same as everyone else, paint is all chipped in the rear hatch handle. I have the paint buy why should I need to do it myself. Looks like I'll be calling the dealer on Monday and seeing what's up.

I've got a laundry list of small issues that need attention so regardless they'll be fixing a bunch of stuff anyway.

I had TWO warranty claims for paint, one of a 2015 Fiesta ST Tuxedo Black and a 2017 Fiesta ST White Tri-coat. In both instances, paint "bubbling" or "spidering" occurred from beneath the paint at the bottom seals of the four passenger doors for the black car, and only the rear hatch for the white.
Were you able to get that bubbling and spidering fixed? I too am having that issue on all the doors, under the hood, and in the seams of the hatch. Pretty much getting the whole car re-painted by Ford on Monday. Not sure if it’s going to fix it tho as I keep having bubbling issues. Also the hood is corroding underneath as well... it’s quite the mess.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

redmoe

Just found it on my 17 with 10k on it. Since I have a rear camera installed I doubt they would cover it based on the comments here. I would rather not have them mess up anything else in the process.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Pictures.....pictures.....pictures....we should start gathering pictures.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk