Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

2016 Fiesta using coolant

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Can people not read the recall? When will they stop beating this horse. It died long ago.

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
when i clicked the link on my phone it went to Fiesta. Now on my PC it goes to Focus again. I give up lol

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
when I clicked the link on my phone it went to Fiesta. Now on my PC it goes to Focus again. I give up lol
Right in the copy for their short block it says, "fits ALL 1.6 EcoBoost applications", and the ST180 Fiesta is also mentioned.
WHAT is everyone panicking about with this Pumaspeed catalog listing, the pics of destroyed block bores/coolant passages and separated liners in that listing??
They themselves claim that only has happened from big turbo/high boost apps, the very reason WHY they are trying to sell you their built and balanced, high boost capable, long block. [wink]

Dumb question, so forgive me, but what is an acceptable loss of coolant for the FiST? I've had my 2017 for a year now and I just needed to top it up from the Min line to the Max. Only 9100 miles on it. I do drive in hot ambient tempreatures (85-90 degrees F).

koozy

3000 Post Club
Dumb question, so forgive me, but what is an acceptable loss of coolant for the FiST? I've had my 2017 for a year now and I just needed to top it up from the Min line to the Max. Only 9100 miles on it. I do drive in hot ambient tempreatures (85-90 degrees F).
zero

Dead horse my ass! There is a design issue with the cooling system and it isn't the head design. I speak from a little bit of personal experience here with now 4 different heads and two different FiSTs. 2014 with "old" head overheat. Warp. Coolant in cylinder 3. Replace engine after a year of complaining about overheats and replacement of almost every part on the cooling system. Ford doesn't want to cover the cost. Through some escalations it is covered after a deductible. New engine post 16 build date continues to overheat and car is liquidated for another "late" build 16 FiST. Begins to overheat at 20k and then it's winter here in MI. So 7 months later once temps get over 90 it begins the overheat cycle. Coolant in #3 again. New head gasket, head (assume it's the new one now as this was just this week), cams busted and valves bent. Just picked up car 1 hour ago, new head and all and 4 miles up the road, one small second gear pull and car starts to overheat. Then limp mode. It's back at dealer now. Temp was 87.
This horse ain't dead yet. I'm thinking those of you with coolant loss will suffer the same date eventually. Some may never know the issue in their engine I suspect. I recorded typical running temps over 225 in winter and once ambient temperature raises above 87 car cannot recover. Another interesting thing is that the Intake Air Temps I was recording in both cars was150-160 degrees when overheat occurred. Coolant temp got as high as 250. Ambient air had to be over 87 to cause situation and heat soak.

Make sure dealer is doing the coolant pressure test over time. There is a "new" procedure for this as of around July 2016. They will keep the car overnight for this test. This procedure was NOT in the manuals for the techs until this time and that is how mine was never diagnosed because a simple pressure test was always good.

Btw- no coolant loss is acceptable.

Make sure dealer is doing the coolant pressure test over time. There is a "new" procedure for this as of around July 2016. They will keep the car overnight for this test. This procedure was NOT in the manuals for the techs until this time and that is how mine was never diagnosed because a simple pressure test was always good.

Btw- no coolant loss is acceptable.
Thank you for sharing this. I'll ask the dealer to perform this check. I, too, also think it should be zero. I had a 2015 that was lemoned for other issues, but I do remember that car having coolant loss too, similar to the 2017 I have now. I do consistently operate in hot temperatures, so I figured the coolant loss as normal though it has always been on my mind. Car runs alright. Haven't hooked-up my diagnostic tool to the new car but I often saw 190-220 in the old 2015. Highest I ever saw it get was 227. I'll do a temp check in the new one too.

redmoe

The manual says if more than 1.0L (as I recall) in a month should be taken to the dealer. I've been watching mine like a hawk since I installed a Mountune radiator and have seen less than 0.1L in the first month since the install. I performed a pressure check and there are no visible leaks. Its possible some air was still coming out of the system but I vacuum filled it so there should not have been much. It would be get to see if we could get enough folks on board to check and track their cold morning coolant levels over a couple of months to see what the average is. I have a feeling a lot of folks have very slow consumption that is not being noticed.

The manual says if more than 1.0L (as I recall) in a month should be taken to the dealer. I've been watching mine like a hawk since I installed a Mountune radiator and have seen less than 0.1L in the first month since the install.
Is this a typo? 1L a month? That would be more than 15% of the capacity (6.2L) of the system in a month.

Hereā€™s the section in the manual:
Thank you for this. I've only filled between .5L to .8L for the entire year, so I guess I'm good. Will monitor as the weeks and months progress.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Most humans would agree that a car burning/loosing 1 quart of oil per month is not normal. Manufacturers aren't human. (despite what Romney said about corporations being people) To suggest that 1 quart of coolant burn/loss is normal, is just as bad, if not worse considering that you can burn a quart of oil just driving like a maniac. With coolant, driving like a maniac should have minimal impact; I would guess.