Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Rear passenger caliper crapped out?

A few days after the last cold spell and road sprays my rear passenger brake started grinding when comimg to slow stop and I think I can hear it a little when taking off after press the brakes. I haven't had time to take the wheel off but the rotor looks good and at least the outer pad looks ok. I'm guessing the caliper is sticking? If it is besides stealers who carries ST brake parts in the GVRD? Need to do it fast as paying $30 per day to drive my Bronco is cutting into my beer funds.

me32

1000 Post Club
They get dry to fast. I think they were under greased from the factory. I made sure they were lubed up when i did mine at 49k and gonna have to do brakes again about 90k

Intuit

3000 Post Club
The road salt may make the rust over more quickly.
It's pretty easy to jack up the rear and give each wheel a spin.

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
It's not the bracket. Like others have said, it's the pins. I would just pop the caliper off then clean and relube the pins.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Plainrt

1000 Post Club
It's not the bracket. Like others have said, it's the pins. I would just pop the caliper off then clean and relube the pins.

How is this not the bracket??? The pins go into the bracket last I looked. Only reason I said just get the bracket is cause it will save you time over dicking around trying to free up the pins which a lot of the time are too far gone to save. These brackets aren't that much from the right place either. Much easier imo to just replace but what do I know.

Plainrt

1000 Post Club
Clean them up. Tiny bit of high temp grease because the area gets warm. Good to go man

Much easier for you guys in areas that don't have bad winters. These things get nasty up here if don't keep up on grease on them. I wish I knew sooner. There was no hope on cleaning up both rear ones on my fiesta.

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
How is this not the bracket??? The pins go into the bracket last I looked. Only reason I said just get the bracket is cause it will save you time over dicking around trying to free up the pins which a lot of the time are too far gone to save. These brackets aren't that much from the right place either. Much easier imo to just replace but what do I know.
Because the bracket holds the caliper in place, the pins are what the caliper slides on. So if the pins are rusty or not lubed, the caliper sticks.

Replacing the bracket will do nothing unless the brackets are sold with the pins for our cars.

Plainrt

1000 Post Club
Because the bracket holds the caliper in place, the pins are what the caliper slides on. So if the pins are rusty or not lubed, the caliper sticks.

Replacing the bracket will do nothing unless the brackets are sold with the pins for our cars.

Bracket and pins are sold as one piece for our car. Think paid like $35 each for new ones after couldn't get pins to free up on mine after wasting how much time.

OP
D
Thread Starter #12
Looks like I'm gonna have to buy a caliper piston tool for the rear.

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account

Intuit

3000 Post Club
With my prior vehicle, could just use your hands and apply *even* pressure to the brake pad to back off the caliper piston. It's just slow, very slow is all. Because people can't immediately SEE that it's moving, backing off, they think it isn't. But it is; just takes a couple of minutes of patiently applying pressure.

me32

1000 Post Club
OP
D
Thread Starter #17
Well the rear inner pad was totally gone lol Ford wants $105 for the pads!!!!!!!!!! buhahhahhahha and 65 for the rotors? WTF? Either way they don't have them in stock wtf again?

OP
D
Thread Starter #18
Wow second dealer KeyWest Ford New West buddy couldn't be any more useless if he tried. I asked can you price out and check stock on rear rotors and pads for 2016 Fiesta St. I can hear him typing. He keeps asking what engine size and if I had the car in before. No just and no. Then he tries to tell me they are drums and not rotors I tell him no Fiesta St rotors. Says he needs a vin to find the part. LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL I guess will have to wait til tomorrow morning and get it from T&T Autoparts.

First one was Mainland Ford pretty much explains why I had to hand hold them for warranty work as what was broken magically tech said was ok same with my engine overheating. Even with a video showing the bells/alarms going off they trying to tell me nothing is wrong. LOL

OP
D
Thread Starter #19
Are the rear rotors/pads on the ST same as say the Titanium?

OP
D
Thread Starter #20
Ok so the pads are actually for both wheels. Still more expensive than after market but not bad. The MSA Ford guy was way more helpful instead and admitted the ST parts are crapshoot and he needed the VIN