Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

'16+ Intake Thread - Help Me Clear Up The Confusion

I've been trying to hunt down information on intakes for my '19 ST and I've been having a hell of a time trying to figure out what does and doesn't fit since there have been so many small changes throughout the life of the US Mk7 STs. I'm hoping to clear up some of that in this thread and have a good source of information for the new cars.

Since this is also for my benefit, I'm personally looking for an intake for noise over performance. I know a drop in is best, but I live by the Butt-Dyno.

Injen - Can fit '16+ with a new ('14-'15) evap harness - From what I've read this is the most favored intake for noise, but the gains are butt-dyno only
(This is pretty much true for any 14-15 open filter intake)

Drop In/ST200 - Fits everything, best for performance, little to no noise gain

Cobb - Fits '14-'19 (uses a T fitting for the dual evap lines on the 16+) - Seems a middle ground for pretty much everything, sucks in less hot air than open filter intakes while also giving moderate intake noise

Mountune Induction Hose - Fits '16+ - Uses a T fitting for the dual evap lines and doesn't replace the factory airbox, still uses a panel filter so would be best paired with a drop-in. Seems to give a little more induction noise while keeping all the advantages of the factory airbox

ITG / RAMAIR - These don't replace the induction hose where the evap lines connect in so they will fit any year/evap set up, however these will most likely result in the most power loss with the least noise gains

Mishimoto - "I have the Mishimoto MMAI-FIST-16-WRB on a completely stock engine. Butt dyno reports a little gain. Noise is not as much as I wanted.
Has an airbox, cone filter, metal pipe about 2/3 of the way into the turbo and then silicone hose 1/3 of the way. Comes with an evap fix and I have never had a code in 3k miles. Bought from Whoosh. Very satisfied but wish there was a bit more vroom vroom sounds." - @ajw85 (pictures below)

MAP and 2J I've seen mixed reviews on so they've mostly fallen off my radar (feel free to chime in one way or another!)

AEM, cp-e, Mishimoto, K&N, Revo, FlowMaster I know little to nothing about and haven't seen them pop up much in my research, but performance and installation should be very similar to the Injen

I'll try to update things from the comments into this post and hopefully make an easy information pool.

Last edited:
Mountune USA makes the only induction hose that's actually going to work 100% of the time with the double evap hose on the 16+. https://www.mountuneusa.com/mountune-High-Flow-Induction-Hose-Fiesta-ST-2016-p/2364-ih-ab.htm

Every other company has come up with some version of a check valve that may or may not throw a code.
The other option is to convert the evap harness to the 14-15 style, and then run whatever intake you want.

The bonkers thing about this car IMO is just how much you can spend piecing a complete intake together - easily over $500. Then again the intake track does run from one corner of the engine bay, over the engine and back down to the turbo.

The general consensus is that any intake with an open filter element that removes the factory style box is not a good idea because you are getting hot air from the engine bay instead of cold outside air.

I recommend Mountune Induction Upgrade kit + Mountune 16-19 Induction Hose + Whoosh crossover pipe. That will run you about $525-550 depending on sales. If you really want to throw more money at it you can add the velossa tech big mouth and Whoosh turbo inlet.

**editted to correct my year ranges

Last edited:

Spork1569

Mountune USA makes the only induction hose that's actually going to work 100% of the time with the double evap hose on the 17+. https://www.mountuneusa.com/mountune-High-Flow-Induction-Hose-Fiesta-ST-2016-p/2364-ih-ab.htm

Every other company has come up with some version of a check valve that may or may not throw a code.
The other option is to convert the evap harness to the 14-16 style, and then run whatever intake you want.

The bonkers thing about this car IMO is just how much you can spend piecing a complete intake together - easily over $500. Then again the intake track does run from one corner of the engine bay, over the engine and back down to the turbo.

The general consensus is that any intake with an open filter element that removes the factory style box is not a good idea because you are getting hot air from the engine bay instead of cold outside air.

I recommend Mountune Induction Upgrade kit + Mountune 17-19 Induction Hose + Whoosh crossover pipe. That will run you about $525-550 depending on sales. If you really want to throw more money at it you can add the velossa tech big mouth and Whoosh turbo inlet.
A note about the mountune kit is that it's basically identical to the ST200 intake except made of aluminum instead of plastic. Depending on sales at mountune the price could be better or worse than the regular price for the ST200 box.

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
I've been trying to hunt down information on intakes for my '19 ST and I've been having a hell of a time trying to figure out what does and doesn't fit since there have been so many small changes throughout the life of the US Mk7 STs. I'm hoping to clear up some of that in this thread and have a good source of information for the new cars.

Since this is also for my benefit, I'm personally looking for an intake for noise over performance. I know a drop in is best, but I live by the Butt-Dyno.

Injen - Can fit '16+(?) with a new ('14-'15) evap harness(?) - From what I've read this is the most favored intake for noise, but the gains are butt-dyno only (not necessarily a bad thing!!)

Drop In/ST200 - fits everything, best for performance, little to no noise gain

Cobb - Fits 14-19 according to Cobb - Seems like the next best performance wise as it keeps the factory airbox to shield the intake from some heat - I'm unsure on noise levels, best I can tell its a middle ground for pretty much everything.

MAP, RAMair, and 2J I've seen mixed reviews on so they've mostly fallen off my radar (feel free to chime in one way or another!)

AEM, cp-e, Mishimoto, K&N, Revo, FlowMaster I know little to nothing about and haven't seen them pop up much in my research

I'll try to update things from the comments into this post and hopefully make an easy information pool.

it's really quite easy
2014-2015 Fiestas have a single line evap system
2016-2019 have a dual line

any intake (on our site because some sites have them listed incorrectly) that states 2016+ will actually fit your 2016-2019
any intake or induction hose that states 2014-XXXX will REQUIRE that you have a single line evap

there are some intakes also that DO NOT replace the induction hose part that can also be used on ANY 2014-2019 with NO evap modifications
ST200 airbox, ITG intake and RAMAIR intake

if you want to convert your 2016-2019 dual line to a single line set up using factory ford parts, you'll need this part: https://whoosh-motorsports.myshopif...-to-convert-2016-fiesta-st-to-2014-2015-specs
once you add this Ford OEM part, all 2014-2019 intakes will fit with zero issues period.

OP
Sanity
Thread Starter #5
Intakes get overly expensive on any new car unfortunately :(

As far as actual performance goes I agree that open filters aren't the answer, despite decades of arguments on ever car forum in existence....
But even knowing that I can't deny I love the noises they make

Thanks for the info on the Mountune hose, I hadn't looked into just the induction hoses. Do those do anything for intake noise or are they all flow upgrades?

I have the Mishimoto MMAI-FIST-16-WRB on a completely stock engine. Butt dyno reports a little gain. Noise is not as much as I wanted.
Has an airbox, cone filter, metal pipe about 2/3 of the way into the turbo and then silicone hose 1/3 of the way. Comes with an evap fix and I have never had a code in 3k miles. Bought from Whoosh. Very satisfied but wish there was a bit more vroom vroom sounds.

Attachments

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Intakes get overly expensive on any new car unfortunately :(

As far as actual performance goes I agree that open filters aren't the answer, despite decades of arguments on ever car forum in existence....
But even knowing that I can't deny I love the noises they make

Thanks for the info on the Mountune hose, I hadn't looked into just the induction hoses. Do those do anything for intake noise or are they all flow upgrades?
I am running a ST200 airbox with Revo/ITG drop in filter. Whoosh Crossover pipe and the 16+ Mountune Induction hose. I put in the Crossover pipe and intake box and filter at the same time. I then was able to hear more intake , ( not a lot) but the big thing was I could hear my stock blowoff/ diverter valve letting off. When I put the induction hose on I picked up a bit more induction noise. I have a Turbosmart aftermarket plumb back blowoff valve to install to replace the stock cheap plastic diverter valve. I will then probably hear just enough intake noises.
You will also hear more turbo noise when you change out the stock hot side charge pipe with an aftermarket one.

RubenZZZ

1000 Post Club
it's really quite easy
2014-2015 Fiestas have a single line evap system
2016-2019 have a dual line

any intake (on our site because some sites have them listed incorrectly) that states 2016+ will actually fit your 2016-2019
any intake or induction hose that states 2014-XXXX will REQUIRE that you have a single line evap

there are some intakes also that DO NOT replace the induction hose part that can also be used on ANY 2014-2019 with NO evap modifications
ST200 airbox, ITG intake and RAMAIR intake

if you want to convert your 2016-2019 dual line to a single line set up using factory ford parts, you'll need this part: https://whoosh-motorsports.myshopif...-to-convert-2016-fiesta-st-to-2014-2015-specs
once you add this Ford OEM part, all 2014-2019 intakes will fit with zero issues period.
Why did Ford go to a dual evap line on '16+ cars if the single line before worked?

I might use the conversion, but want to avoid future smog issues....

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
Why did Ford go to a dual evap line on '16+ cars if the single line before worked?

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk
It's a bit of a mystery. Emissions? Trying to reduce intake valve deposits? No one seems to know.

They wouldn't have gone to the trouble to change it if there wasn't a good reason.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Mountune induction hose kit for '16+ - $143 with coupon code WINNING.
Whoosh Crossover and RAMAIR Drop in filter - $165 shipped from Whoosh with FIST5
Cut hole in shroud in front of intake snorkel for colder intake air - Free
So only $300 total to upgrade your intake about as much as you can if you want to keep it at a mostly stock look and you might get about 8hp/15tq but also sound decent without being too loud. Whilea really loud 2JR screaming cowl intake with get you 15/20 and set you back a bit more with also the long hose adapter needed for it.

danbfree

3000 Post Club

Yeah, I've heard that the stumble after filling is worse on those early single line cars and was a recall on the Focus but not FiST... I haven't changed out my induction hose section for that reason but have decided on the Mountune one as it works well with no codes all without having to convert the actual lines to the older single line version.

OP
Sanity
Thread Starter #12
Yeah, I've heard that the stumble after filling is worse on those early single line cars and was a recall on the Focus but not FiST... I haven't changed out my induction hose section for that reason but have decided on the Mountune one as it works well with no codes all without having to convert the actual lines to the older single line version.
I remember hearing about that on the Focus, I didn't know it had been a problem on the Fiesta too. It sounds like a lot of people have swapped harnesses with no issues, but it makes you wonder why Ford made the change in the first place especially since I doubt it was a cost saving move as far as the part itself is concerned

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I remember hearing about that on the Focus, I didn't know it had been a problem on the Fiesta too. It sounds like a lot of people have swapped harnesses with no issues, but it makes you wonder why Ford made the change in the first place especially since I doubt it was a cost saving move as far as the part itself is concerned
True, likely it has to do with the stumbling issue and/or emissions. I know my newer style barely does one little stumble after a fill having the dual hose. I'm in one of 2 state that doesn't have self serve, otherwise you just pull the nozzle out halfway to let it vent for a few seconds and it doesn't happen much at all... but oh yeah, definitely it's a Fiesta thing too, mentioned constantly in the FB groups.

Spork1569

The stumble is definitely scary when it first happens, especially if you've never heard about it before. I have a 16 and it definitely doesn't stumble except every once in a while when I forget to fiddle with the pump after I finish filling up.

There's a few odds and ends with this car where you wonder what Ford was thinking, but nothing too game changing really.

Spork1569

I changed my evap harness from a double to single a couple of weeks ago when I added the Whoosh intake hose and St 200 airbox and haven't had any issues with it on my 19.
My only fear is also living in Cali when it comes smog time I wouldn't doubt they'd say something about the evap harness. I plan on basically reverting back to stock come smog time, or find a crooked shop if the mods go too far lol

I went with the mountune kit for ease of going back and forth.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
My only fear is also living in Cali when it comes smog time I wouldn't doubt they'd say something about the evap harness. I plan on basically reverting back to stock come smog time, or find a crooked shop if the mods go too far lol

I went with the mountune kit for ease of going back and forth.
Yeah, from what I hear those emission techs REALLY know all the little in's and out's of what's supposed to be there, but doesn't sound like it's too difficult to swap them come smog check time.

Spork1569

Yeah, from what I hear those emission techs REALLY know all the little in's and out's of what's supposed to be there, but doesn't sound like it's too difficult to swap them come smog check time.
A lot easier than the evap harness, that's for sure. I was hoping the ST 200 inbox looked stock enough to pass as well but think I'll just swap back to be safe.

My only other worry is the IC but was contemplating getting a grill just so you can't see the CPE logo on it very well [wiggle]. I really don't want to have to reinstall that thing twice lol.

OP
Sanity
Thread Starter #19
A lot easier than the evap harness, that's for sure. I was hoping the ST 200 inbox looked stock enough to pass as well but think I'll just swap back to be safe.

My only other worry is the IC but was contemplating getting a grill just so you can't see the CPE logo on it very well [wiggle]. I really don't want to have to reinstall that thing twice lol.
Man, I'm glad I escaped emissions testing. Right now all I'm worried about is warranty. I don't expect issues on the car, they're fairly reliable, but if something does happen I don't want to get stuck with a repair bill. Not to mention I keep telling myself to not mod the daily since I already have a project car to muck around with

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

danbfree

3000 Post Club

Yeah, you'd want the black ST200 box, maybe paint it a nice flat black to match, but doesn't it use the stock lid too? And I thought the evap harness was pretty easy, but no? And I wonder if you just paint the IC black as well it would look stock enough or if smog techs actually match paint colors? LOL... I'm happy that up here in Oregon our cars are sold new with CA emissions but for smog check they just basically plug in to OBD and that's it as long as you don't come in really loud and/or stinky, I think I should be fine with just a glasspack muffler swap with rest of exhaust all stock.