Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

STay Tuned: Ford to Introduce New ST

Guess the ST!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Maybe an update to the Focus ST with the RS awd system but without the big leaky engine.

p.s. I have a feeling the commerical is just an RS with an ST badge on the lower portion of the tailgate, just to get the footage. Since car nerds will be able to deduce what the car is pretty easily otherwise.
Dude I was totally creepin that booty. Doesn't really match up with the EcoSport or Escape

Maybe an update to the Focus ST with the RS awd system but without the big leaky engine.

p.s. I have a feeling the commerical is just an RS with an ST badge on the lower portion of the tailgate, just to get the footage. Since car nerds will be able to deduce what the car is pretty easily otherwise.
Which I thought about to, however it doesn't match any ST or the RS. This is most likely the car. It also definitely isn't the new Focus either, the line on the bottom of the hatch rules it out.

And here's the Edge.

But look at the new Explorer, if the badging gets moved down towards the bumper then that is very close to the picture. The bumper looks a little too long however.

It has to be one of those two. The Edge almost doesn't make sense as an ST but you never know. It is due for a refresh. The Explorer is getting a full on redesign and should also be out soon.

Either way we most likely find out Saturday at the press conference.

Edit: Apparently we might find out tonight at 9PM PST.

Motortrend has an Instagram story with a poll, Fiesta ST or Transit ST. The text underneath it has that time. It most likely isn't the Fiesta, but one can dream... The teaser even is reminiscent of the new Fiesta. It is probably the Edge because I imagine the reveal of the new Explorer (If it even shows up) would be saved for Saturday.

Last edited:

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Ford introduced the first performance-enhanced ST to its SUV lineup with the all-new 2019 Edge ST.

In addition to its 335 horsepower and 380 lb.-ft. of torque pumping through a 2.7-liter twin-turbocharged EcoBost engine, the 2019 Edge ST features superior handling and braking, ST-tuned sport suspension, Sport Mode, new quick-shifting 8-speed transmission and standard all-wheel-drive.

[video=youtube;RZrTyIdOj4M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=RZrTyIdOj4M[/video]

My thoughts exactly.
Why did they choose the Edge?
Is the ST badge supposed to bolster sales of the Edge, whereas the Sport badge didn't attract enough customers?

Damn man, I was really hoping for an EcoSport ST.
1.6L EcoBoost (not 1.5L 3-cylinder because not Geo Metro) tuned up slightly from stock (think Cobb stage 1)
6-speed manual or paddle shift auto
AWD

This combo woulda been killer, and would have seriously been in the running for successor to my FiST once my wife pops

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Don't underestimate the power of a transmission that can keep the engine in it's peak torque and/or power band with additional speeds... although the additional gearing is probably more about fuel economy.

I got the impression that there's a specific team at Ford that is responsible for 'supping up' preexisting vehicles for the ST badge. They've been around the block "a few" times and know what they're doing.

Notice the twin turbo? Turbos add power, but what they're really known for is torque. SUVs are heavy, and slow off the line. Torque is precisely what is needed to overcome that and be quick off the line. (335hp/380tq)

Also keep in mind that we're talking about a big, heavy, high center of gravity, SUV, and the ST folks (obviously) won't be operating on the Farm Truck's build budget. You can put thirty or fifty more horse power into it but your returns with all that weight are going to be relatively minimal. You'll have to balance with additional tires, additional suspension handling, additional e-nannying and braking. With a production vehicle, you'll always want to lend a BIG advantage to all the other facets. Being over-matched, lending even a slight advantage to engine power means your product then gets labeled as (a) "dangerous" (piece of lawyer bait).

We've had a few members here post about their Edge purchase. I'll look forward to any comments from those that pursue and bag an ST Edge.

That said, I agree that they need to continue to push the edge for significantly better performance and reliability over their competition. (Note: Not a proper noun - "edge")

Big, heavy, expensive...automatic? I mean, I did guess it would be an SUV, but the Escape or Eco Sport seemed to make more sense. Power is a slight bump over the Sport, and I'm sure the 8-speed trans will speed things up a bit. I would hope for the tighter suspension and more direct steering. But this thing will push $50k+. SUVs such as the Audi SQ5, Jag F-Pace, Alfa Stelvio, etc are in that range. A no-option Macan S is mid $50s. I can't wait to read/watch some reviews, but I just don't see this being a hit. If I'm in the market to spend over $50k and want a sporty SUV, not sure I can see doing that on a Ford. I love my Fiesta ST, loved my Focus SVT, and even my old Ranger. But for me, Ford does best when you get a ton of performance for the money.

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
An Edge? WTF? I figured Ford would do something stupid with the ST badge under the current leadership, but an Edge just sucks to wear an ST badge.

So their tag line was
"The newest addition to the Ford Performance lineup is sure to catch everyone's attention."
Oh sure, it caught my attention, as in, why the hell would they do an Edge ST? They had the opportunity to corner the market with an EcoSport ST right off the bat, but nope, let's put something that no one wanted. It's seriously not different enough form the Edge sport.

They are super late with the EcoSport (which doesn't make sense as it already existed someplace else!) and an ST version would have generated hype around the car and maybe make us forget how horrible the name is.

I also like how it was so NOT what anyone wanted that it's not even in the choice of the poll, haha.

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Ford has mentioned a few times that it's future business strategy will be primarily focused on SUVs, CUVs, and Trucks which are their largest sellers...So this direction they are taking with the ST does make sense to me....